• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Charal Finished

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I hope this is in the right place in this forum. I was recommended to head over here from the Legion board, and I promise to keep you posted on my progress. Sharing is my favorite motivation!

With Celebration 6 right around the corner, I'm going to get cracking on my latest project, so here we go...

Charal, the first cannon "Sith Witch", or now called "Dathomir Nightsister", from the film Ewoks 2: The Battle for Endor.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Charal

I've had the desire to make this costume since I was young, but it's a little discouraging to make a costume when every time you mention it, people laugh because it's from an Ewok film. But now that Nightsisters are so prevalent in the EU, I can't help but give into my desire to make this costume!

charal10.jpg

I have all the fabric, plastic for armor, and almost all the feathers (so many freakin feathers!!!) to get this one assembled.

(helmet just for pictured scale)

403142_258029107592867_123098684419244_718763_1625209130_n.jpg

I'm also working towards making a duct-tape torso "casting" to build the armor on.

That massive pile of feathers is 12 yards of boa ;)

As for the ring, I've got the clear resin, I'm just a little inexperienced in tinting, might take a few tries to get it red but not too clear, once I sculpt and mold a master. Here's a brightness altered screencap to show off the ring detail and the double bird motif on the chest.

charalring-chest.jpg

Here's another screen cap I took of something I found interesting:

Late in the film she's in the dungeon and not wearing her armor, but the bird head motif is still on her chest as a separate pendant. I doubt I'll make the costume to wear without the armor, but it presents the possibility of making the bird head as a single piece I could mold for multiple pulls, perhaps.

charal11.jpg

Actually, Charal wouldn't be non-501st since she is G-Canon.

I love the idea of this character. I looked into making it for my wife a while ago, but she said no. I look forward to seeing your costume get finished!

Guest Aysel

Welcome to The Flagship Eclipse! I saw your thread over on the main site and I wanted to have you post here as well ^_^ Thank you! ^_^ I've been waiting to see someone take on this character for a very long time (and not me ^_^) I look forward to seeing your progress pictures on this ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Thanks. I wasn't quite sure where to post since Charal is listed as not yet approved but eligible for membership. So I just put it where I found the list she was in ;) Let me know if I need to repost somewhere else, or move the thread. I'm easygoing like that. I love the setup of this forum and the overall high quality of creative costuming. Feels like home. I look forward to sharing and exchanging ideas here.

Guest Aysel

I think this thread would live better in the "EU Character Research Discussions" section rather than down here, but it can stay here till you've gotten this completed ^_^

^_^ Katie

Guest Nihilus

Hi RoseGuard :D

I loved Charal when I was little and seen the Ewok movie, it always made me sad in the end she gets trapped in the Raven form.

I look forward to seeing your updates..

All the best

Shaun aka. Nihilus

Guest Anonymous

Had some time to do some sculpting at a prop party that also just happened to have an expert sculptor attending. She gave me some excellent advice and even some higher quality (brown) clay then the super soft (white) molding clay I was starting with. I've still got a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with my first ever sculpting attempts. I'm planning on casting both.

6995728819_b56feaa7b8_z.jpg

The ring is not right yet, but I'm getting used to shaping first, and figuring out the scale since my hands are smaller than hers. I think I'll start over with the darker clay. Once I make a mold I plan on using red tinted clear resin to cast the final version.

6995729317_193f23a540_z.jpg

This is the beginnings of the bird heads motif for the chest. Since there is an actual pendant version (in only one scene) I wanted to start with that, just to have it really, and use it to make the breast plate version after I've made the mold.

6995729111_ba600268ff_z.jpg

I love sculpting pieces for my costumes... it's always a fun challenge, and adds a personal touch to them. (Plus, it lets me make something for the costume that doesn't require the use of my arch-enemy, the sewing machine! :-D)

It looks like you're off to a good start with the sculpting. It really is good to use different clays because each kind is great for different uses. Soft clays are best for soft, flowing forms; while firm clays are best for shapes that need to have rigid lines.

Have fun!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, I've been way too busy to keep up with a build thread, as much as I wanted to. And OF COURSE I finished the day before I leave for the convention.

Dress, necklace, and pendant:

7831650084_a58a23f1fc_z.jpg

With armor:

7831652336_ce9999806f_z.jpg

The finished product:

7831659522_c61cdd8f5f_z.jpg

The ring (on the wrong hand, other hand was swollen from using the rivet gun all night):

7831648088_4414d66794.jpg

7831643104_5210056bca.jpg

Necklace and earrings made with real antiques and fossils:

7831624806_9c2e400c82.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with it, but we'll just call it Charal Mark One, aka: the Bird Lady of C6 ;) You'll see me in this probably all weekend starting Thursday!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 244&type=1

Guest Anonymous

Two days of wear at C6 have proved the following: 1) I take too long to get ready in this costume. I pride myself on being on time and that did NOT happen in this costume. 2) The armor needs to be scaled down considerably. Honestly I felt that halfway through the build process, but was on a deadline and decided to make it incentive to build a second set from scratch later on. AND 3) Less people than I expected remember the second Ewok film, but those who do freak the heck out! Which to me makes for a successful first run imo! Thanks to everyone for the warm reception. As soon and I wear it once more at Dragoncon this weekend then get home I will make a more detailed build thread.

225035_10150999199831787_834477967_n.jpg