• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

"Pinwheel" in Visas Marr texture

The Clone Emperor

Guest Dark Flower

I have 7 days (more likely less) before a HUGE event here in my home town. My other project has so much more to be done. At least to get it to recognizable 'character' status. Being a little bit nervous about its completion by the date I thought I would also try and get my Visas done. Today i test painting the corner of the pleather and thought I would get some peoples opinions to see if the colour is correct.

http://photobucket.com/VisasPics

(sorry for the bad grammar, I was up till 5am working on things, my brain is a little fried.)

Hey DF, in looking over the pics in the costuming standards for VM compared to the pics you've posted, personally I think the grey paint you've got is a little too light to get a subtle effect. I'm wondering if using a grey that is only a few shades lighter than black would be better?

I know you wanted to have your other project done for our event next week, but rather than try to rush and get that or VM done, it might be worth it to just take your time and get it just the way you want then to be unhappy and waste your $$. There will always be another big event to troop at :wink:

Guest Dark Flower

Now that my Zam is pretty much done, I can work on my Visas.

http://tinyurl.com/ln5mfb

And yes, I have since added my binos.

Could someone tell me;

A: What size the pinwheel pattern should be (the one circle). I was told the size of a CD, or slightly smaller.

B: The patterns for the dresses. I was told that there was a recent post about the exact McCalls or whatever pattern posted.

I can't find either of these and my time is limited.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

B: The patterns for the dresses. I was told that there was a recent post about the exact McCalls or whatever pattern posted.

I can help with this one. Have a look here:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... 2246#12246

Guest Anonymous

Is the pattern to scale? I'm wanting to make a stencil of the one Thomas posted but I want to make sure it's to scale.

Thanks

Todd

Guest Dark Flower

I am pretty sure the pinwheel is the size or slightly smaller then a CD. I read that somewhere and I can't remember where? That is what I have been looking for for week or so.

If anyone can tell us soon that would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There is no exact measurement for the size of the pinwheels. When I made my stencil, I took a close look at the game turnaround images, and I found that the pinwheels were slightly larger than the size of Visas' open palm... so that's the scale I used. The pinwheels on my dress are slightly larger than the size of my palm. That's slighly smaller than the size of a CD, but fairly close. I think anything in that size range should be fine.

Pam :-)

Guest Dark Flower

Thank you thank you thank you Pam.

I think if I go half an inch of the size of a CD (4.5) which is rather big to 4 inches. I hope it will be ok. My palm is 3.5 inches wise, which I think is small. Besides I have smaller boobs and top frame. If I made them CD size, they would make my boobs look smaller and visa versa if I made the pinwheels too small.

Ok, I will stop with the boob talk.

Thanks again!

Guest Dark Flower

I have started spraying my pinwheel pattern on the cut out pieces of my dress. Well the front piece. How do people match them up from one piece to the next going around? I know when you sew it together you have to worry about the fold over and if its going to be surged, even more will be removed...For approval and matching the pattern is close as possible acceptable?

I will have pictures later.

Thanks!

How do people match them up from one piece to the next going around? I know when you sew it together you have to worry about the fold over and if its going to be surged, even more will be removed...For approval and matching the pattern is close as possible acceptable?

Unless you're a miracle worker, it's pretty much impossible to match the pattern perfectly all over the dress. I tried really hard to do so, but I only managed to match the pattern on a few seams and even then the pattern wavered because of the shape of the dress.

Here, you can see that the pattern matched up fairly well on the seam above the belt:

VisasMarr2.jpg

But here, the pattern wasn't even remotely close to matching up on the back seams:

VisasMarrBack.jpg

Just do the best you can, and accept that it's not going to be perfect no matter how hard you try!

Pam :-)

Guest Dark Flower

Thanks Pam!

I gave up on matching too. I have already needed to go out and get my 3rd can of spray paint and breathed in about a 3rd of it...haha. Also I flipped the pattern, in one section by accident, but I carried on. Only some places does the pattern look doubled, which is really really hard to avoid. Part of my template fell apart but the pattern width is small enough that I can continue.

I am also working on shortening my veil, as it was too long. I am using extra landscaping cloth to work with before cutting down my veil, which I am separating the two parts instead of making it one. Then there is the gray bands on my gloves. That is it!

Yah, thanks again all for the wonderful resources and help.

Guest Anonymous

Oh science, how would you make that?

I've been commisioned to make this costume and this is the only part that has me stuck.

If it's a leather or leatherette material you can't really screen print it and hand tooling would take the rest of your life.

Guest Dark Flower

Bamf,

What are you exactly asking?

I will see if I can upload photos on how I did the pattern, and please PM me if I forget. Things have been just nuts for me atm, so I forget things easily.

Regards,

Dark Flower