• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

"Pinwheel" in Visas Marr texture

The Clone Emperor

AR6555 noted that upon close inspection of the Visas Marr texture, the pattern on the bodice is actually based on a "pinwheel."

normal_P_VisasBB.jpg

This is just the sort of glyph I am keen to illustrate;

Visas_Pinwheel.jpg

Notice that the pattern is reflected across the centre--as in all KOTOR models.

normal_Visas-Marr-22.jpg

Previously this pattern has been taken to be some sort of organic reptile scale. Once pointed out however, the "pinwheel" is undeniable. I would not penalize anyone for having a more organic intrepretation, but I feel AR6555's discovery is an important point to share.

Be well,

Thomas

EDIT: Correcting image URLs. ~MH

Guest Anonymous

Thanks so much this will help with my wife's costume immensely. Now for the hard question what would you venture to guess the IRL diameter of the center pinwheel circle (and all others to be? 2.5" maybe?

I am curious to hear your response.

Guest Sakara

yeah i saw that pattern as a Japanese house symbol..but i only saw it on the render image.

Version two in the works lol!

Guest Anonymous

WOW! By gum, there it is. I NEVER saw that in the game, but you're right, it's pretty plain once you look at it closely.

Dang, it's amazing how the eye can both trick and reveal, isn't it?

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

I also noticed it but when I tried to implement it, I didn't like the way it looked. To me the pinwheel looked too patterned to be in leather as anything other than something embossed and that wasn't an effect I could do to my satisfaction in vinyl.

Also, the promo picture has the more organic look.:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=18

(But in some spots it looks like it may still have the pinwheel structure underneath.)

Guest Sakara

i see what you mean, gaining the organic look with that pattern is difficult. Perhaps by alternating the shades of grey on the design and the thickness of the application a more random look could be achieved as thats is the inherent look of anything organic - no shape is exactly the same as the previous shape.

Guest Anonymous

Um, I can't see those pictures. I can see that there is a pattern in the leather armor that she wears. My best bet would be to imitate that as best I can with paint and stencil? or some other just-as-effective method?

I've been working on a pattern, but don't know how to post pictures for comment or criticisms. Is there a way to upload photos for a post?

Guest Anonymous

Hello there Shapeintheshadows!

To be able to post pix to websites, forums, etc. you'll need a phtobucket or imageshack account!

They're free.

Start an account, load your pix into your album, then copy & paste the code for forums & you're good to go! :wink:

&, both photobucket & imageshack have tutorials. :twisted:

Good luck!

& Welcome to the Flagship! :twisted:

Guest Anonymous

Okay got it. So not being able to view the photos and know what you guys are referencing, I took the best photo I could find of Visas' armor and copied as best I could the pattern on her chest, which really doesn't look like a pinwheel to me. I can see the "pinwheel" higher toward her left shoulder, but it looks like the effect of the pattern be repeated:

2255050234_1d1912234e.jpg

And this is what I came up with from that:

2255050480_a62982d112_o.jpg

So what I am asking now--is this pattern accepted, or is it required that we use the pinwheel shown in some of the other threads?

I fixed the image URLs in TheCloneEmperor's post above and also here's the pinwheel pattern highlighted again.

Visas_Pinwheel.jpg

Also, all of the reference images that are posted in the threads can be viewed in our gallery (in most cases). There's a link to it in the upper left corner of the forum but you can also get to it here:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/

the design of the pinwheel is in the initial render of the fabric, with movement and in game rendering the shape has been distorted into what you see.

the design of the pinwheel is in the initial render of the fabric, with movement and in game rendering the shape has been distorted into what you see.

Correct!

We also figured out that the reason you often see the pattern messed up down the very center of the front and back of the outer dress is because they only rendered one side of the pattern and then made a mirror image of it for the other side. The center line of those mirror images doesn't line up perfectly, so you see the pinwheel pattern distorted down the center.

Thanks for the link fix, Izzie!

Pam :-)

Guest Dark Flower

Hi all, I am new to the forums, so if for some reason I am disobeying some kind of forum law/rule I apologize (have not had the time to go through the rules section).

I made a Visas Marr Summer 2008. Everyone said (mostly 501st). 'You are good enough to join". Probably because they were desperate to have another female in the squad (sorry guys). I was skeptical and yes my skepticism was confirmed and I was not accepted. So now I am looking to improve it as well as working on another costume at the same time.

Originally the first image I came upon was the Comic concept drawing (which actually I do prefer best. I was happy to find out that you could still be accepted as that type. Though for me, I need some improvements. I am meeting with a seamstress next week and am gathering together notes and reference pics. But what has me stump still is how to do the pinwheel pattern. Actually applying it to the fabric, whether it be leather, pleather or some other substitute.

Two things; What to use and how to match.

I hear that there are options to paint, emboss (pounding metal) and/or sew the pattern on. Is there another option and did anyone try and or find the best.

Also. How to you match the pattern uniformly around your torso and arms etc? I have the thought that you should start the pattern center of your upper chest. But when you repeat it, does it have to match in the back. Everyone is different, so I don't know how this can work. Do you squash it gradually or hope for the best? Ha Ha. If its from a template. Don't think that would work...

I have included some links to pics of me at Fan Expo 2008 and some other 501st events.

Thanks!

*DF*

First Day (worn);

http://www.capitalcitysquad.ca/photogal ... itting.jpg

*Yes, I have since affixed the veil to a ball cap which removed the need for hairbands which after awhile hurt my head.

At this point the veil was being held together with some kinda scrap booking adhesive;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =654120016

Don't ask me why I posed this way;

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 5_2789.jpg

One reason why I liked the long sleeves so much, you can have more pattern;

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 0_4969.jpg

At the Expo;

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 5_2240.jpg

I am sure there is more, but I am sure you are bored. :)

Guest Anonymous

Dark flower your visas is alot better then mine ^^ ; lol i want to remake mine but i need to figure out what type of red fabric to use for my hood and the skirt etc. the fabric i used is very light and my hood kept flying off. X.X

l_106174b3977240c28c75946c4a44b91b.jpg

Guest Dark Flower

So having been not accepted mainly cause I didn't have the right outer dress fabric I am going to work on figuring out the pinwheel application before I go ahead with the awesome p-leather I got for a great deal.

When I met with my seamstress the other day regarding another project I am working on we were trying to figure out how to apply the pinwheel pattern. I really wanted to emboss it but of the very little people who do that in my town, they don't do it with p-leather and the cost would be something like $600 for the dye (cutter) alone.

I remember it being acceptable to have it painted on, but for some reason the gray doesn't do it for me. My seamstress and I took a corner of the fabric and tested some clear nail polish on it and actually it looked really good. I did note though that it didn't show up in the dark, not that I see many troops happening in the pitch dark. So, I thought, why not have a thin line drawn on of gray/white (whatever) then painted over with clear nail polish.

The nail polish looks raised, which is a cool effect.

I will try to buy some pens this afternoon and test it out and show pictures.

What I am really worried about is the acceptability of this. Even after I had done something by the books, it was rejected. I have been disappointed with my projects and I am very close to giving up. Which I really don't want to do.

Thanks for your opinions!

*DF*

Guest Dark Flower

Cosplay girl,

Thanks! Though we all have to start somewhere. How are your renditions going?

The vail is driving me insane. I worked till 4AM in the morning putting the pattern on to match the true Visas. Its too long and I need to shorten it, but how does one shorten it without cutting the bottom. LOL.

Now I go use some Deglazer cleaner on my 'other projects' leather.

Good luck!

*DF*

Guest Sakara

The idea of using nailvarnish over the paint...may or maynot work. On a small area it looks like it will work, but i know from experience that once on a large area it may not...ie it might eventually crack off..

Id try an experiment with it on a larger area if possible.

Guest Dark Flower

Good point Amery.

I tried flexing the fabric to see if that would happen. I will try again for longer periods of time. Do you think its the heat that does the cracking though? Being in Canada, in the winter, most of our troops our inside, though we do have a few outside in the summer and yes it does get hot.

I will try to use a bigger section of fabric (maybe make a pinwheel) and use a hair dryer on it to imitate our hot Canadian heat. :P

Thanks again,

*DF*

Guest Sakara

im from the UK and were mostly in the cold or indoors lol..

i think its just movement of the garment when worn, when putting on and taking off...putting tension on the fabric even for small amounts of time i think made my earlier attempts at the design crack, peel or fall off lol

i eventually went with car primer paint and that...that stuck. Now of course im making the pinwheel design as a new version, as back in the day when Visas was still being worked out..the initial design was almost a crackled paving look...lol

Guest Dark Flower

Haha for sure it is. That is what I hear anyways.

I will ask my seamstress what she thinks about the nail polish cracking after periods of moving. But you are making me think that paint is the better way.

(Concerned) Is the pinwheel pattern not an approved pattern anymore?

Can you tell I am paranoid about getting this right? lol

Thanks again.

*DF*

Guest Sakara

nno no no..the pinwheel is the approved design, it was agreed that was the design to go with once it was worked out that was what the design on her garment was.

Before that was discovered, it was thought the design was a random crackled look, hence why mine has that. Its ok as a design, but isnt totally accurate. Its just that mine was cleared before the pinwheel design was discovered..lol being the first Visas..there was a lot to learn about her character costume!

Now im working on the new version so i too can be upto date with the characters look. Its just taking a while to do..as well we in the Uk dont get much opportunity to wear the EU costumes much.

Guest Dark Flower

*fewf* haha

Okay thanks! :)

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks yet again,

*DF*