• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Malak ideas

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey!

I'm contemplating making my husband a Darth Malak to compliment the Revan that I'm currently working on. I have some ideas for how to make the various parts, and I am very keen on doing it!

Body suit:

- build a foam musculature to be worn underneath the actual rust red body suit to build up shoulders/chest/thighs (as my partner is no body builder haha)

- I've been able to find large rolls of white tensor bandages of varying sizes (they're rather inexpensive too!). My idea is to dye them the appropriate colour, but not do it perfectly so there would be some variation in the hue. From there, I would airbrush/darken the edges and add striations on all the bandages. These could then be wound around the underlying black body suit (which has the muscle shirt) and help create the irregular pattern we see.

Jaw-Guard

- As Koda Vonnor pointed out in an older post, it isn't attached anywhere so needs to be light. I was going to measure and carve high density foam according to spec so the jaw guard as one piece that would slide over the head. Then the details can be done with a dremel (yet to test this though haha).

- I've not decided what to finish over top of this. Mod podge perhaps to seal the foam and allow it to be painted?

- It would have grooves to sit along the ear, and I'm considering adding wide elastic back from near the ear covers (to pull it against the head). It might also work to physically adhere the jaw-guard to the head when worn for - something like prosthetic adhesive, which I have a solvent for. Glued at the back of the head (over the bald cap) and under the cheek bones would allow it to move freely with the head, while also being less weight on the ears.

Chest place, collar - sculpted and cast from poly-resin, then painted.

Upper belt - crafted out of leather most likely, with greeblies.

Lower utility belt - cast in a similar method to the chest plate, but in sections that could be attached to a belt beneath for mobility. There may also be part that attaches to the upper belt ( the dark buckles on it?)

The cape and sashes are less of a worry for me, I'm fairly good at sewing. Boots would be a later concern, but I figure I could modify some comfortable black boots with the straps fairly easily.

Just ideas :) wanted to share them, I may be starting on some of it soon. But Revan is my priority currently haha.

Hi Amanda,

I haven't had time to type up a solid response to your Malak and Revan threads yet, but I wanted to let you know that I take great pleasure in seeing people put a lot of effort into planning and building their own costumes from scratch.

Kudos!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for touching base, Pam!

I've made a lot of progress on my Revan costume, and began to sculpt the Malyk mask. I'll post pictures of each soon. I've been doing my best to take pics as I go, I'm bad at working for a few hours on it and forgetting!

As for Malyk's jaw guard mask, I ended up using high density foam (like insulation) that I glued/clamped together and then carved down into the rough oval donut shape, tailored to fit my husband's head. Without getting too much detail, it sits nicely on his head without any straps! It just took a lot of whittling down heh.

The foam takes a dremel very well. The foam is nice and lightweight. It restricts movement, but I think that'll be unavoidable with the jaw guard.