• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Traya WIP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone… Well, I thought it would be a few days before I could get to posting my WIP for my Traya. But I went ahead and took the time to do it. Here it is as it sits at present.

I'm aware that the under dress needs to be lightened up a shade. And the pleats are missing on the robe and over dress. Are there any other issues I need to correct on this costume that can be seen?

I have boots which I'll place a photo of them here within a couple of days. I also have a long hair wig which is a white in color. I will need to have it cut shorter in the back, as I believe Trayas hair is shoulder length in the back. I also still need to build the belt, purchase contacts, and have a Cannon Saber made. Also, I'm going to place some light weights in the hems of the sleeves and bottoms of dresses and robe to help weight them down.

A couple of questions: Does anyone know of a safer way than bleach, to lighten up fabric?

And is there anyone who can build Trayas saber for me? I'm going to contact one of the custom saber shops about this, but if I can pay a fellow costumer, I'd like to do that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BACK OF UNDER DRESS. Under dress is the wrong color. I need to lighten it up a shade. The zipper will be completely hidden when the full costume is on.

100_2980underdressback.jpg

FRONT OF UNDER DRESS

100_2978underdressfront.jpg

FRONT OF OVER DRESS. The plunging V neck line is barely visible due to the current color of the under dress. If you look closely, you can make it out.

TrayaImage2983overdressunderdressfront.jpg

BACK OF OVER DRESS. As you can see, the zipper is all but hidden now. The cowl on the head piece, even when the cloak isn't worn, covers the rest of it up nicely. No chances of accidental peaking out. >;~)

100_2985overdresunderdressback.jpg

CLOSEUP OF THE NECK LINE, ON THE FRONT OF OVER AND UNDER DRESS

Image2987CathysTrayaFrontofUnderdressandoverdress.jpg

DETAIL OF OVER DRESS SLEEVE

100_2979underdresssleeve.jpg

BACK OF CLOAK

Image2996CathysTrayaCloakBack2.jpg

FRONT OF CLOAK. The smudge is not on the cloak. This was something to do with the image resolution.

100_2992fullset.jpg

SLEEVE DETAIL ON CLOAK

100_2993robesleeve.jpg

CLOSE UP OF HOOD

Image2995CathysTrayaCloakback.jpg

HEAD PIECE

CathysTrayaHeadPieceFront.jpg

HEAD PIECE

CathysTrayaHeadPieceRightFront.jpg

HEAD PIECE

CathysTrayaHeadpieceRightSide.jpg

HEAD PIECE

CathysTrayaHeadPieceTop.jpg

EXTRA HAIR BANDS FOR THE LENGTH OF HAIR FLOWING DOWN THE SIDES

Image3006CathysTrayaHairBands.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at what I have here, and thanks in advance for any feed back.

Guest Anonymous

I've been going threw the Flagships description for the Traya Character, and have discovered that the one for her here, is differing from what the Empire has. That isn't a bad thing, it simply means I'm going to have to make some changes to the costume if I want admission with this group.

What the Empire has, is a character which has three different layers to the costume. An inner, an outer, and then the robe. Examples of the Empires Traya below.

Robe is separate from the outer and under garments. The belt is worn under the robe.

Kreia2.jpg

DarthTrayaSaberTwirl2.jpg

For my Flagship Traya, all that is necessary are the under dress and robe. With the belt strapping around the robe and visible all the way around the character. Good enough. I actually like the Flagships rendition of her better.

Also, I noticed that the current head piece I have, although close, is not correct. There are modifications I need to do there also. The strips which run vertical with the skull, connect in the back to another band, which mine is missing. The Traya head piece rendition which the Empire currently has, does not show the sides nor back of her head, so I was guessing at how they were made. I guessed wrong. However... again, this is an easy fix.

THE EMPIRES RENDITION, does not show the back of the head piece.

Kreia_Trayus_Hoodless.jpg

MY HEAD PIECE as it is now. I guessed at how the strips going towards the back were made. I seen the hair running threw them.

CathysTrayaHeadpieceRightSide.jpg

THE ONE I NEED FOR APPROVAL

DarthTrayaRendersHeadshots.jpg

QUESTION:

I would like to keep the loops on my current head band, attaching them to the back piece which will be added. I can run the hair threw them, and by doing so will help secure the head piece in place. Will this be alright, as long as the aesthetics of the look are not compromised?

Well folks, I'm not as close to having this costume completed as I thought I was, but closer than I was six months ago.

Hi, Cathy. I'm glad to hear that you like the "Flagship's rendition" of her costume. We try to base the references on game turnarounds whenever possible, since they're the most detailed and show all sides! (Plus, I think the artists get a kick out of knowing that we pour over their character studies as much as they do.)

Let's see if I can work my way through all the things that come to mind for your costume...

First off, it isn't necessary to lighten the color of your costume pieces unless you want to. Black on black is just fine. (Notations about different shades will be removed from the final version of the standards, which I'm currently working on and hope to finish soon.)

It also isn't necessary to cut your wig shorter in the back. While the reference pictures only show the back of her hair going to her shoulders, it's assumed that the back can be as long as the front; and the rest is thought to be hidden by her cloak, which isn't pictured in that reference.

The Traya artwork is a customized fan version, I believe, from deviantART... I don't think it's quite proper to call her "cute," but in that picture she looks like a cute pair of twins! :-D

I had wondered about the loops on the back of your headdress as I was going through the post. I think you can certainly modify that with the back section, no problem. The look of the final result is important, but how you get there is completely up to you!

Your hair bands will need the red stripes to go completely around the diameter of the bands, rather than sections of them.

I'm going to look forward to seeing your progress with this costume. Please keep taking pictures, and share, share, share!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Oh thank you Pam for responding...

Not having to lighten up the under dress will make things much easier. I was fretting damaging the fabric. And yes, I see what you are speaking of with the hair bands. The red needs to go all the way round.

It is also nice to have the information about the fan art for the rendition I used for her costume. I shall have that removed from the Empires costume library, as we also do not wish inaccuracy. Thank you again, very much.

As requested, I'll keep photos posted on the progress with her. Lots of them as I go, that way I'll know if something needs corrected before proceeding. I have a very good idea of how this costume is to look now.

I seen a beautiful saber which Thomas had made in the Traya forum. Is it safe to assume the saber he made is the Cannon saber which is acceptable?

By the way Thomas... the photos taken with you as Bane and Zannah at C-5 in the main lobby are some of the most cherished ones I have. The best Bane rendition out there by far. But you know that right? 8)

O.K.... I'll keep everyone appraise of my progress, and again, thank you very much Pam for the advice.

Guest Anonymous

It is in transit at the moment, so I don't yet have it in hand. But The saber for my costume is completed. It's design was taken directly from the game, and I believe that the builder has done a superb job of replicating Trayas Saber. The hilt even includes the distinctive divot.

I would love feed back from anyone on what they think of it. Will this pass submission?

Actual Saber from KOTOR:

TrayaSaberCloseUp1.jpg

MY COMPLETED TRAYA SABER:

TrayaSaber15.jpg

TrayaSaber14.jpg

TrayaSaber13.jpg

TrayaSaber12.jpg

TrayaSaber11.jpg

I have purchased the wig I will be using, the make-up, and I have boots, which photos will be posted soon.

I still need to make the belt, which won't take me long, and I also need to have the necessary alterations done to my costume, then I'll be submitting. My time line is right around Christmas, and if not, then shortly after the New Year. Wish me luck.

Guest Anonymous

Greetings To The Flagship.

It's been a while since my last post, asking about whether or not the saber design I posted above will pass for my Flagship Traya submission.

I intend on using it for my Dark Empire submission, but I have received no response from anyone concerning it for my Flagship submission. I have since searched threw some threads, looking for photos of other sabers which have been approved. Here is a link to a thread which I believe contains an approved Traya Saber.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1019

Please, can someone let me know if the one I have pictured above will pass. If not, and the one shown in the provided link is accepted, I will have that one commissioned. I am serious about becoming a member of the Flagship, and would greatly appreciate some input on my progress.

Thanks.

the standards for Darth Traya say:

Lightsaber:

* The lightsaber should be based on the KOTOR II style.

* Darth Traya may carry from one to three lightsabers.

* If bladed, the blade(s) must be either red or purple.

* Unaltered FX sabers are not acceptable.

as long as the pictured saber is based off of the KOTOR II style then it is acceptable

^_^ Katie

ps and sorry for the late reply been busy with Darth Real Life

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Aysel, I'm not sure which game the image is from, but I"ll check it out. If it's not from KOTOR II, then I'll have another one commissioned. :D

Guest Anonymous

Just wanted to pop back in and let everyone know that this costume is still in the works. There have been some set backs, but I hope it's completed by the end of May. Still in the race here. 8)

Greetings,

What follows is a bit detailed, and over the internet may be misconstrued as a criticism. It is not. I am writing to reaffirm the standards for this costume and the vetting of references as used in the 501st.

I would like to remind those concerned with replicating costumes for 501st use that fan art is NOT a viable reference. Please remember to research the origins of all reference material before you apply effort into replicating a costume and its accessories for 501st review.

For instance, this render was produced by an individual working for Activation years ago for the port of the game to other systems. This is to be considered the authoritative reference for the character. (Note the severed left hand.)

DarthTrayaFront.jpg

This image is a fan's doll dress up program and should not be used for determining costume details. (The arrangement of the Darth Traya's robe is meisleading here as it assumes Traya's outfit is the same as her alter ego's Kreia. It is not. Deviant Art user suelita;

Kreia_Darth_Traya_by_suelita.png

This is artist Chris Trevas interpretation of Darth Nihilus's sabre;

COTFSaber.jpg

It was later accepted as canon for the Champions of the Force version of Darth Nihilus and reproduced by fans;

150px-SL_nihilus_cotf_saber.jpeg

Darth Traya's lightsabre was the type 1 KOTOR sabre. (In all of KOTOR there were only three lightsabre models.)

normal_saber%2Brenders%2Bsingle%2Bblade%2B1.jpg

This is the same sabre as used by KOTOR villans Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus (Not to be confused with COTF Nihilus,) and Visas Marr. (Darth Malak used the type 2 KOTOR sabre. I have not researched Darth Sion, but it would be easy enough to determine via video cut scene.)

150px-SL_visas_saber.jpg

This is a fan image on from Deviant Art by DromCZ:

darth_traya_by_dromcz-d47qaud.jpg

Fan art need not be dismissed out of hand, but must be regarded with caution. What looks fine for a personal homage image may not be a true replication of the source character.

Forsooth, sabres for EU characters have traditionally had a bit of flexibility in the 501st. During my administration, it was only required that EU character costumes not use the sabres of established movie-canon characters in canon events, such as their membership photo.

Personal Note;

I am glad to see you working on Darth Traya, Lord Zannah and I look forward to your completed suit.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

My absolute appreciation Thomas for this tutorial, and I do not take anything you educated me with as negative criticism. On the contrary, I am grateful to you.

I know how to proceed with my Traya saber now. I definitely need to commission a new one.

It seem that what I have is a nice rendition of a Nihlus Saber. But it won't work for Traya. :lol:

Also, the new Traya costume I have in the works is based upon the Flagships standards, so it should pass this time.... fingers crossed and the force be with me. :wink:

By the way, I have a great photo taken with you at C-5, it's one of my favorite photos. The obelisk Bane you have is the best costume I've seen. Incredible build there.

Thanks again,

Cathy

Guest Anonymous

Like I said, one of my favorites.

DSC00413-1.jpg

My husband does a pre-obelisk Bane, and of coarse we were at C-5 together. We seen you and knew immediately who you were portraying.

I walked up to you and asked for a photo together, of which you graciously accepted.

However, before I said anything to you, you looked at me for a moment and said,"Zannah, where have you been"? Upon which my reply was "You know how it is my Lord. Planets to conquer, Jedi to slay, a Sith Lord to serve, and all without breaking a nail". We got a laugh out of that one.

The photo flashes began and it was glorious. :D

Thank you for the memories.

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I have a question about the decorative piece on Traya's belt. Does anyone know where I can get this, and if not, does anyone have any building instructions?

It looks like it has been "glued"? or possibly Velcroed on to the belt?

Is it made from four distinct squares?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79573432@N04/6988307566/

Guest Anonymous

After a very rough start and going back and reviewing the specs for this costume, I finally have a progress report for this build.

HEAD GEAR

WIMPLE:

Front

2TrayaWimple.jpg

Side

3TrayaWimple.jpg

Back

1TrayaWimple-1.jpg

Wig

7TrayaWig.jpg

Coif Front

14TrayaHeadPieceFinished.jpg

Side

13TrayaHeadPieceFinished.jpg

Clothing

Undershirt: Finished

19TrayaUndershirt.jpg

Cloak Front

20TrayaRobe1.jpg

Cloak Back

19TrayaRobe.jpg

Shoulders on cloak may need more pleating.

Belt: Finished

23MYTRAYABELT.jpg

Saber

I found this photo of a saber on these boards. It was commissioned by Thomas Spanos for Damon. I used this photo and sent it to someone who has also been commissioned by me to build it for me. It should be done by the end of July.

26CanonTrayaSaberKotorII1.jpg

To complete my costume, I have boots, gloves, and the makeup. I will have an appointment with my Optometrist by today for the Sclera contact fitting.

I hope to be able and go with the Sclera lenses, but I have a question. If I can not wear the full lens, will simple black contacts pass for 501st standards?

Also, there is this image of Traya where she is holding two sabers. So is it permissible to rend her with both hands?

19TrayaBack.jpg

Provided my saber is finished by the end of July, this costume is due for submission by the first or second week of Aug.

Just in time for Celebration! :D

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Aysel, I sure hope this gets the job done for me. The lady who put it together was using 501st specs to create it, and receiving instruction from Damon. (I hope I'm spelling her name correctly, but if not, my apologies Damon). >;~)

Guest Anonymous

She Passed!! I'm now an Imperial Sith Lord! WOOT!!! :D:D:D

SL 9379

501st Legion - Member Details

Costumes SL - Darth Traya

Name: Cathy L Richter (Zannah)

Member ID: SL 9379

E-mail: Classified information (private)

Address: Classified information (private)

City, State Zip

USA

Phone: Classified information (private)

URL : no personal website listed

Garrison (rank): Midsouth Garrison ( )

Profile updated: August 16, 2012

Congratulations to our newest Sith!

Now to see this costume in person at CVI! (I recommend wearing it on Saturday ^_^ as that's the 501st legion picture day and I'll be in Visas ^_^)

^_^ Katie