• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Variise of the Mistryl Shadow Guard Standard Discussion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Legion CRL Entry for Variise of the Mistryl Shadow Guard (black hooded outfit) - DRAFT

343px-MistrylShadowGuard-1.jpgswminiBH40mistrylBK-1.jpg

Costume Components (Must Haves):

1. Red Hair: The costumer's hair or wig may be strawberry-blonde, red, or red-gold in color with loose curls or wavy hair reaching shoulders to mid-back in length.

HoodCloseup-1.jpg

2. Hood: The hood is black in color and loosely drapes to cover the costumer's head and partially obscure the face. It is not so low as to block the costumer's eyes, but it is low enough to cast a shadow on the face from the bridge of the nose and upward when lighting comes from above. The hood connects to a short collared shirt separate from the unitard with enough slack to sag a bit in the back. See closeup used on red hair details for front view, back view below.

TopBackView-2.jpg

3. Makeup: There should be a solid red or crimson exclamation point tatoo over the costumers right forehead and cheek, as well as matching red or crimson lipstick. Fingernails on the hand exposed should be painted red or crimson as well.

Variise.jpg

4. Unitard: A matte black stretchy, skin tight unitard should be worn that fully covers the costumers legs and most of the torso. It should be sleeveless. Neckline should be square cut and have a moderate to small amount of cleavage. See primary picture at start of thread for full shot, closeup of neckline below.

ChestCloseup-1.jpg

5. Collared Shirt: A looser fitting shirt is worn over the unitard. It should be matte black in color and be sleeveless on the left shoulder. A fitted but loose short sleeve is on the right. The shirt ends in a straight black horizontal line just above the bottoms of the shoulderblades in back, while in front it is a inverted V line with the middle point of the V starting in the middle about 1/3rd down on the chest. The ends of the V should hit the top of the unitard near the corners of the square neckline and then turn into a flat horizontal bottom to wrap around to the back. The collar should be stand-up and have a small v cut where the two halves meet in front. See close-up used for back view of hood for back of shirt details, detailed front view below.

ShirtHoodCollarCloseup-1.jpg

6. Glove & Arm Sleeve: The right arm and hand are fully covered by a long, tight fitting matte black glove. The left hand is bare, but a tight fitting matte black sleeve goes from the wrist up to halfway up the upper arm, leaving the shoulder bare. Right arm closeup below, see back view of hood image for left arm view.

ArmCloseup-1.jpg

7. Belt: The belt should be loose fitting and made of 2 layers of matte black cloth. There are metal brackets held on by metal studs in each corner. The brackets resemble a bordered sideways H with an extra thick middle line. Between each bracket is a thin but sturdy metal ring that goes between the two layers of the cloth belt. In the middle of each metal bracket there is a thin metal D ring that is held onto the bracket by a small, horizontal, rectangular piece of black cloth or leather that has one metal stud on each end.

BeltCloseup-1.jpg

8. Boots: The boots are made of black leather with either combat boot soles or 1 inch heels. The leather should have some shine to it. The toes may be rounded or square. The right boot ends about mid shin, while the left boot goes just above the knee.

BootsCloseup-1.jpg

Costume Accessories (Should Haves):

1. Shock Whip: Variise's primary weapon is a black handled shock whip that has silver rings down it's length. The whip itself may be either black (deactivated version), or red (activated version).

ShockWhipCloseup-1.jpgShockWhipCloseupBW.jpg

Deactivated shock whip (NOT Variise's, but shows the non-activated version)

Shock_whip.png

2. Holsters/Additional Weapons: A vibro knife or holdout blaster holder can be worn at the top of either or both boots. Variise sometimes carries one vibro knife and/or two hold out blasters depending on which reference picture or description is used, while in other pictures she only carries the shock whip.

Vibroknife-TNR-2.jpg

Full versions of all images used:

swminiBH40mistrylcardbk.jpgswminiBH40mistrylLS.jpgswminiBH40mistrylFR.jpgswminiBH40mistrylLT.jpgswminiBH40mistrylRT.jpg

swminiBH40mistrylBK.jpg

343px-MistrylShadowGuard.jpgVariise.jpg

Appearances:

"Easy Credits" - Star Wars Adventure Journal #9 - roleplaying publication

Galaxy At War (photo only, pg 120) - Saga Edition roleplaying game

Hero's Guide (photo only, pg 101) - D20 Edition roleplaying game

Star Wars Miniatures: Bounty Hunters - Wizard's of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures game

References:

Wookiepedia entry about the Mistryl Shadow Guards w/ pic labeled as Variise:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mistryl_Shadow_Guard

Wookiepedia entry about Variise:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Variise

Miniature with all the angles:

http://www.rebelscum.com/swminiBH40mistryl.asp

Promo re-color of the miniature that makes it a little easier to distinguish some of the details:

http://www.rebelscum.com/swminiPROMOmistryl.asp

---------------

Original first post before converting this into a CRL thread...

So my husband has been bugging me to actually pick a simple costume to do for my first 501st costume once I finish my Aayla Secura one for Rebel Legion... I was going through the various CRLs and stumbled across the Mistryl Shadow Guard while looking up what a regular Shadow Guard looks like. The only Mistryl Shadow Guard I've been able to find any pictures of is Variise, who only appears in the "Easy Credits" short story in the Star Wars Adventure Volume 1: Journal 9, which appears to be a role playing book. Anyone know if she falls under the Royal Gaurd detachment or would she be under Flagship Eclipse? Or maybe Bounty Hunter since the role playing game rules seem to list her in that group... Looks like a pretty easy and comfy costume, so I'm curious about it... I'm not even sure there's enough references for her so far to be accepted, so far online there's only what appears to be a cover art as well as a miniature. If anyone knows of other references I'd love to see them :) Thanks!

we own this book and I just read her stats, it says she's part of the Mistryl Shadow Guard but nothing of being a bounty hunter so I'd assume from that that if she's accepted in the 501st she'd fall under this detachment. there is a description of how she acts and what she wears but no full picture

Guest Anonymous

Ahhh found out where the bounty hunter category was coming from. Apparently her miniature was released in the Bounty Hunter miniature release:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... ty_Hunters

Here's where I've found references for her so far:

Wookiepedia entry w/ pic labeled as Variise -

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mistryl_Shadow_Guard

Wookiepedia entry about Variise -

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Variise

Miniature with all the angles -

http://www.rebelscum.com/swminiBH40mistryl.asp

That's all I've found so far. If the role playing book doesn't have any pictures I'm a little confused where the pics for her on wookiepedia are coming from... The file references for both of them list that book as their source. Maybe those are the only pics of her in there? That's a little sad if they are, since I doubt this is enough material for her to be an approvable costume...

Edit: 501st doesn't allow descriptions to fill in for where there's not as many visual references to go off of, right? If the description of what she wears is detailed enough I wonder if I can use that as a supplement...

the picture on her bio page is from the book (the black and white line drawing), the others I don't know about. My first inclination is that she's not acceptable for 501st at this time, as there are not 3 separate references for this character, there are currently 2 matching full body references, which is good, there possibly could exist a 3rd, in CoTF or a comic or book cover. Keep searching you might find it.

(^_^) Katie

Guest Anonymous

What's a CoTF? Sorry, not familiar with all the acronyms yet. It does appear that there just isn't enough material for her just yet, which is disappointing since it really is a nice outfit for those times you just don't want to wear something complicated or deal with body painting... I'll keep hunting around for other references though! Maybe I can find some references of other Mistryl Shadow Guards with the same outfit, as it's possible they dress similar to each other...

CoTF = Champions of The Force. And yes I also like the look of the outfit, but I also have a soft spot for light whips. Hopefully a 3rd image turns up.

(^_^) Katie

Guest Anonymous

Not sure if I just didn't read closely enough before or if Wookiepedia was recently updated with this info, but it sounds like images of Variise in the black outfit with the shock whip also appeared in both "Hero's Guide" and "Galaxy at War", again, both are additions to the Wizards of the Coast role playing game. If anyone has one or both of these books and is willing to check for me, you would have my eternal gratitude, otherwise I'll just have to find copies for myself :) If this is true and the pictures are clear enough, that might give the 3+ visual references required to make her eligible!

hubby has both books, he's looking now, the reference in Hero's Guide is really nice (that's the full body pic with her light whip). I do believe that with the mini, Hero's Guide and Galaxy at War reference (as long as they all have the same costume) that she's eligible for 501st, however I could be wrong (but I really hope I'm not)

(^_^) Katie

Guest Anonymous

Hurray! I don't suppose you guys have a scanner that you could scan the pictures in from them? Or take a picture with a camera? I can use those in my talks with the LMO to try and get her to be an accepted costume :)

Guest Anonymous

Converting this thread to become the CRL draft... Anyone see anything that should be re-worded or costume details I've misinterpreted so far?

Update: After going through the pdf versions of Hero's Guide and Galaxy at War that Katie so graciously supplied me, it looks like both books use the same picture that is found on Wookiepedia. It appears that all the pictures I've included are all the visual material there is to be found at this point, barring additional extrapolating based off text descriptions. So it looks like once other folks have a look at the CRL so far and provide feedback, this is ready for the next step :)

Guest Anonymous

Added another link to the promotional re-color of the miniature since it sorta makes it easier to make out some of the details. This version does not appear to have the little swirlies on the boots that I was interpreting before to be holsters.

good work so far. so you have "Galaxy at War" which is Saga edition role play, "Hero's Guide" which is D20 edition (yes those are different sources) and the miniature, that's the 3 sources. Keep up the good work!

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Updated to match the CRL standards that Aysel gave me :) Once an accepted costume is made for the character these can be replaced with actual photos since the reference pics do not lend themselves quite as well toward this dissection format.

the parts you might have missed (and I've read the story in the adventure log, lets just say, she's akin to Boba in thinking in some ways)

"Variise, a member of the all-female Mistryl Shadow Guard, served Moff Caerbellak as his bodyguard and trusted agent following the Battle of Endor. She was rumored to have been rescued by the Moff from pirates prior to her service to him, an idea that satisfied the curiosities of those who wondered why a Mistryl would be working for someone representing the hated enemy of their people, the Empire. Variise's ruthlessness and sadistic attitude soon gained her a fearful reputation among those who knew of her."

"Variise eventually built a reputation for herself as the Moff's ruthless personal protector"

"She was devoted to protecting and serving Moff Caerbellak in any capacity,..."

My personal belief is that Variise is an exception to the rest of the Mistryl Shadow Guard (MSG) as she's aligned herself with a Moff as personal protector and not under a contract for her services in that capacity. If there were ever any other MSG pictured I'd say they would be RL but not Variise.

Guest Anonymous

Aysel is spot on. While the Mistryl Shadow Guard as a whole may fall under a rebel legion group, Variise herself is most definitely NOT a "good guy" by any standards.

Variise was a cold, cruel, and calculating woman who immensely enjoyed her job as Moff's Caerbellak's protector and lackey.[3] She was sadistic, enjoying the sight of others suffering,[9] and eager to kill, often taunting her victims before taking their lives.[10] She especially took pleasure in the fear her reputation inspired in most sentient beings. Before the Moff arrived anywhere, rumors circulated concerning the nature of his visit, but whenever Variise was mentioned in these conversations, the words were hushed to a whisper. To many around her, she appeared to exude danger and was often compared to feline predators, always ready to spring into action. As a result of this, people tended to be very edgy around her.[3] After encountering her for the first time, Sienn Sconn was left a sweating, petrified wreck.[4] Whenever Variise gave an order, it was followed through immediately, usually because the subordinate given the order was in a hurry to get as far away from her as possible.

Sure, she may still send money home to her planet to support them, but she very much enjoys what she does as the Moff's bodyguard.

Guest Anonymous

Unfortunately how she came into the Moff's service has never been verified, only rumored at being a life-debt to him when he rescued her from pirates, as mentioned in Aysel's post. She did serve him until the day she died however. During the Rydonni Prime affair, a thief named Sienn Sconn stole a prototype from the Moff and he ordered her to retrieve it. Variise nearly kills Sconn before Sconn manages to turn the tables and kill Variise via a thermal explosive trap. You can read the summary of the entire affair in the "Early Life and Service to Moff Caerbellak" section about her on Wookiepedia. While there is not a whole lot of in-depth info about Variise, in every mention of her she is the Moff's bodyguard, and never seen as a separate, good-guy entity.

Guest Anonymous

Updated first post with a section listing all Variise's appearances... And I think the thread subscription thingy is giving me either delayed or phantom updates since I got an alert at 5pm today saying there was a new post but there's been nothing since my last one :P

Ok here is my problem with this still. The intent of the character is still missing to me. If she is a body guard then why is very important to me. My issues is the obscurity of the character and the lack information. In looking over what was presented I can only assume that she's there for reasons other than being a "bad guy." I can do that as simply as anyone can assume shes really a bad guy. The point is that there is too much in my mind that is left to guessing than not guessing. In things like this I ire on the side of no than yes.

I feel until there is more about this character at this time it is not viable for legion approval.

1. Points to note - the images you refer to say Mistryl Shadow Guard. These characters as I have said are RL style characters, not legion based on their prescribed roles researched.

2. Variise in this garb would fall under the RL status as she would still be apart of the Guard. The figure used is not specifically of Variise as it is generic. References shown should be of specific characters.

3. The one sketch of Variise named solely as Variise has her wearing a different costume than that that of the Shadow Guards.

If you can provide a 360 degree reference of the character labeled as the character I can begin to see an opening. Having a completed back story will also give credence to the character. Both need to come from a primary visual source and not wookiepedia. Wiki's are editable and people can put their own swing on things.