• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Saarai :)

Guest mdb

So I realise she is not likely to be accepted but I have had a bee in my bonnet about sculpting her for quite a while.

I was going to stop the Star Wars costuming thing after Shae as she is killing me. I am working on her every day without break ;)

But I have got the bug to start sculpting again.

And what would be more fun than a Chagrian headpiece. I haven't yet started the sculpt but I will very soon. This is the part I am most excited about as a break from all the mechanical hardware nature of Shae's armour. I am much more at home with organic animalistic shapes. My Togruta sculpt was really easy in comparison because it is something I am comfortable with.

So, for the skirt I am a tad ambivalent. The frames where she is twisting Stryfe shows her skit to be very thin strips but when she is guarding her skirt hangs and wraps around her body. So I may try for the full skirt with splits version and use a fabric with extreme drapeability to create the strips effect in a breeze ;) Luckilythere does seem to be a layered effect so I should be able to manage this if not easily then at least convincingly ;)

The bodice I'm not entirely sure of. I need to check all my references again to determine how much is armour how much is corsetry and how much is just fitted.

Not sure just when I will finish her but I do hope for next year :)

I would love to see this character brought to life! She's so calm and stoic, yet lethal... it's a fascinating combination of traits for a blue youngster in ballet slippers! :-D

I was pleased to see her in the "we'll hide in the galaxy" scene, too!

Pam :-)

lol! I know. Ballet slippers.. I shall interpret them as stealth ninja slippers.. right... right...?

I really hope that if this er is explored again that she comes back. Would love to see all her potential realised.

Thank you :) This is going to be my fun costume ;) I find it much easier to sculpt body parts than to make mechanical type things ;) I'll not rush this but it is going to be a pleasant change from what I am doing right now ;)

Step one has been completed: I found my clay! I had cleverly tidied it away and forgot which of the many large containers I hid it in. Now I get to clean some clay I have just removed from some old molds and then actually start layering it on the headform.

Step two: use the clay for something else and put the project on hold....

Luckily I do have a new head form so I can start building a light frame over it :) New wig stand too so I can use the older broken one for this project..

Shaak Ti's montral sculpt wound up about 8kg even with internal support so I'll use a bit more expanding foam than I did for her....

Thread bump due to other Chagrian interests :) Sadly no female Chagrian in swtor, fought lots of males though.... sigh. Lovely shading int he game :) So I'll be incorporating that into my own work :)

And, with all my experimenting with body paint I am investing in pure pigments and only a few basic colours of alcohol activated ink of varying strengths. So I can have the same colours in a broad range of paints. Working nicely to match water based (for around the eyes) and alcohol. Should also work with grease paints.

Guest Nihilus

This is soo cool Mdb your doing Darth Wyyrlok III daughter and I want to do Darth Wyyrlok III seeing he isn't even listed at 501st.com I been getting a lot pics together of him. Thought he was a great choice for me cause my size. :D

Dude! I totally did not see you are from Tassie, I know there was an Aussie invasion here recently, I just didn't keep up with everyone ;)

I will be at Melbourne Armageddon so if you do make it we could defo get piccies together XD

I don't know if Saarai will be 501st approvable, I know there were recent changes to what is required re. references etc. but I'm still not entirely sure about her. It's a pity Legacy was cancelled, for oh so many reasons, but I really would loved to have seen her progression :)

Chagrians unite! Very excited to see interest in crazy odd aliens ;)

I will be making my horns rigid though, the movie set(s) had soft lower horns but I like the idea of using remirigid clear urethane and tint that to get a semi-transluscent horn like effect. Kind of wish female chagrians had the upper horns too.

Guest Nihilus

Hehehe np.. we are slowly taking over here :P

Unfortunately I wont be at Melbourne Armageddon :( I haven't started on my Darth Wyylock III fully just been getting pics together so I can make a start. My first Costume will be Darth Nihilus. :)

Not sure what I will make the horns out of for Wyylock.. still trying to work out his head. Thought I would mold the shape with tinfoil... just working out how to cover over it and also make it to attach it to my head.

Wyyrok has armoured horns! Ouch! Body modification of the highest order ;) it should though help disguise a join to the head bumps :)

I think I spotted teeny tiny horns on Saarai actually. I thought they were more scale like folds but no, they do appear to be extremely stunted proto horns :) I must get a better look later tonight :) I need both of my foam heads right now for painting other applaiances but will sacrifice one of them later so I can build over it :)

So step one has been completed :) the clay is free of the mold, I'll try cleaning it all tonight :) Tomorrow I'll pick up some expanding foam and some sandpaper (the latter for my Shae Vizla armour as it is taking an age to sand).

And thank you for posting about your project :) It has reinspired me to look at Saarai again and remember exactly what it is that made me fall in love with her again :) And her grandmother has some nice armour too...... ;) )

If I can't be Togrutan at C6 I may manage Chagrian :) And at least Cathar or Zabrack too ;) Depends on what fits in the luggage.

Guest Nihilus

Yeah thought i might go in and have horn surgically attached to my head.. but have it I can unscrew them to take them off :lol:

I do think the female do have very small horns.. I think I noticed it on a pic of Wyyrock II.

Your making great headway Mdb :) can't wait to see some pics of your progress.

Yep :) It was a piccie of her grandmother where I saw the horns first :) They are so cute and such a great example of some biological research, sexual dimorphism ftw! :)

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I got the clay boiled and strained and spread into thin sheets for scultping :) Great great tip I picked up a while back from some professionals :) Of course they use high quality clay I am stuck with what I can afford ;) Luckily Das plasticine is perfect for organic shapes. It's a bit fibrous to make machine looking pieces but it is what I used for my Slave Leia bikini sculpt, Shaak Ti headpiece and even a few helmets :)

Guest Nihilus

yw Mdb :)

I am doing my head piece a different way, last night me and Doc were talking on FB and she gave me some great advice to doing my head piece. :) Just got to get the stuff I need together in the up coming weeks.

They aren't often painted a different shade which is why I missed them at first :)

I am going to be molding this in three parts :) The lobster tail and lethorns so that i can adjust them to fit my head properly. And maybe if I can glue on site help me pack them down.

it's how I did my Asari Headpieces:

th_sm_DSCF4132.jpg

th_sm_DSCF4235.jpg th_sm_DSCF4237.jpgth_sm_DSCF4239.jpgth_sm_DSCF4240.jpgth_sm_DSCF4241.jpgsamara_close_up_by_glittersweet-d4agutv.jpg

8.07am, 8.45am, 8.57am, 9.17am, 10.13am, at the show.

And as a laugh, how I look half out of the gear:

th_sm_DSCF4244.jpg6.48pm

(You may also see why i am making a Liara costume rather than Samara now if you are a fan of the games ;)

I think Saarai will be ideal to sculpt in this way as there will need to be adjustments so that the lethorn hang over the front of the shoulder and the tail at the back too. There are a lot of women with a lot of different headshapes running around with my Asari tentacles so I am confident this will work :) There is also a nice deep seam between them to allow for this :)

Here! Have a lump of clay! On a form with an overly long support!

th_DSC_0685.jpg th_DSC_0686.jpg

Please note this is still in the stages of getting the clay on there. I may actually remove it all (again) and follow my original plan as I am treading very close to using all 6kg of clay on this one piece. And still not have enough.

Guest Nihilus

Looking good :wink:

Still waiting to get the stuff for my build.. But I have been in touch with Jan who drew Darth Wyyrlok III. we msg each other on FB she said about sending me some great pics of Wyyrlok. I am now just waiting to hear back from her :)

She is on hiatus as I cannot get my clay to defrost well enough to work it! Actually I am going to have to wait until I can afford supplies outside of current Celebration and Dragon*Con plans :) I need to get some foam and wire mesh to create the support structure :) I was half way through my clay even at that stage posted.... I will probably want a few projects once I get bak from Celebration to work on and this will be one :)

I do have some nice heavy faux leather for the corslet and skirt though :)

Guest Nihilus

I know what you mean.. I got wait to be able to afford supplies for my Darth Wyyrlok III.. My laptop started acting up last week so now I got try and get a replacement.. I need most likely $500 or more for items to just start work on my Wyyrlok..

So maybe later in the year I might be able to afford the stuff I need for the horns.

I only have got my blue prints finished to my costume. Your more a head then me.

When we both finally finished them we will have to work out getting to a comic con event or something in our costume 8)

I may or may not be able to do independent travel next year ;) I am very closely tied to Armageddon (well permanent staff with the cosply wrangling ;) ) which is great as I couldn't actually go to Oz so often otherwise! But yes! Not enough Chagrian love so we do need to meet up at some stage XD

Sadly in SWTOR all the Chagrians are male and only have the front lethorn. Keep hoping to find a female NPC to stalk ;) I have screenies galore of Togruta, Cathar and Nautolan (Nautolan females in game are so incredibly adorable!) for references for possible projects :)