• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

CW Nightsisters

Guest sithgirl40

Guest sithgirl40

I agree with all your points...good lessons.

We found out, are trying, around the ankles to use snaps to hold the fabric in place against the leggins, so we can get it over the ankles.

So far it seems to work. We are trying to attach the end of that fabric to the next piece.

Also the el wire came in and it is awesome! We have a troop this weekend and several of us are going to discuss ways to build the bow.

But I may have to use a fishing string to hold the bow in place and not put tension on the wire.

It does make a high pitched noise when turned on...but that kinda makes the bow more real.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aysel

it sounds like your moving along with your builds very well. as for the high pitch buzz, I get that from my EL emitters as well. good luck on the bow build, I look forward to see how you get it done.

Guest sithgirl40

Update.....

The bow is becoming a huge problem....it keeps breaking.

We may have to cut the bow wood with the curve already in it....it will always look like it is being drawn...but that maybe the only way to keep it from breaking when drawn.

The leg wraps= I'm not going to be able to keep the sewed to the leggins. It just does not work. The only sections still attached will be around the foot, to just below the ankle and the extreme upper leg...a few rounds before they hide under the suit. When I practiced moving around, when the wraps were sewn to the leggins they would bunch up really weird around the knee and would not look good.

I'll just have to wrap the rest every time the costume is warn.....I did attach all the wraps I would need in one long strand to the ankle. and pinned it in place to keep from getting tangled.

We took photos at Dragon Con 2011

It appears the paint and red color make my eyes appear a very light blue...it was creepy

IMG_0088.jpg

Beautiful work. I especially love being able to see the texture in the hood. Is the RL badge canon, though?

I am wondering if it might be possible to tone down/weather the gold trim with a light wash of fabric paint, or something along that line. To me it seems a little too bright, new and shiny for such a rustic costume.

Is the obi riding up a little bit, or is that the intended location? It might help to put some sort of anchor points (hook and eye, snaps, or velcro) on the waist to keep the obi in place if it is indeed shifting out from underneath the belt as you move.

The leg wraps look fantastic, both in the wraps themselves, and in the color gradations. You might be able to improve them even further by applying a wash of darker color along the edges, to really accent the wraps the way they are accented in the reference images. The color can be sprayed on, or painted while the fabric is wet so that it blends. Experiment before trying anything on your good wraps, though! This is something that some of the Ventress costumes have done to great effect.

Pam :-)

Guest sithgirl40

Glad you like the overall look Pam.

And no, I doubt the RL badge is canon :) I just got it and wanted to show it off.

I do agree the wraps could use another layer of dark on the edges..I did not want the first coat to be too dark. I can darken that up.

I was having a little trouble keeping the "vest" tucked under the obi..maybe that was what is pulling it up??

And yes, the trim is way too bright...I was having lots of trouble finding one that might work....that was done as a temporary stand in. But if all I have to do is darken it up...that is doable also.

And I meet a lady with Norcostco in Atlanta. She said if we called ahead, she would have an airbrush station set up and would teach us how to apply it, remove it and everything....how awesome is that!

And I wear contacts to see so those are my real eyes, they tend to change color depending on what other colors I have on, cool huh. Everyone said they looked like my skin color :) it was a bit freaky

Guest sithgirl40

Sorry it took so long to post this....had a few family stuff to take care of.

Anyway, we finished darkening my leg wraps, per request from Pam.

Photo was taken before we completed the feet part--as I would not have been able to stand until paint dried :)

Let me know if it looks dark enough now...I am also in the process of building the bow and should be mostly done with it this weekend and ready to paint and hook up the electronics (EL wire).

The red leotard covers the white part of the leggins---in case anyone is wondering...

I am hoping to have this ready to test troop the Boo at the Zoo event later this month.......provided Pam and the other powers that be like how it looks :wink:

new-darkened-legs-wraps.jpg

Guest sithgirl40

glad you like it!

It does look way better.

When we completed the one leg, I wrapped the other to see how they look...and the old wayi looked kinda boring..bland.

Now on to getting the obis/belt to stay in place! and making the trim darker

Guest sithgirl40

For the mask I cut a long rectangle out of the bedsheet fabric, yes the vest is really just a red bedsheet :). I made it extra long so that it would tuck into the neck piece..so no skin would show. The trick is to make the piece long enough and wide enough...make a template before cutting your nice fabric.

I then attached a tie piece around it, with the stretchy fabric, so I could tie it behind my head. I had tried elastic, but it kept slipping and would never stay tight. You do have to be careful though as the mask piece will try slip down and hurt your ears. We did consider attaching it to a painters mask, like from home depot, but figured that would be too much trouble. Although, after wearing it at Dragon Con for a few hours, it maybe a possibility again.

My "sister" is trying to get her costume down for a troop on the 23rd, and the parts are at her house or I would upload a photo. Will try to do that as soon as I can get the piece back.

I did notice the hat has a strange tilt in the top.....I plan on sticking something in it to force it to stand straight as the drawings have the hats straight.... Will have to see how it works though.

Guest sithgirl40

Any ideas how to do the "wings"?

I used to have access to some super stiff interfacing......

Or use foam or stiff fleece?

And would you paint it or sponge paint it? They are rather dark in color, maybe like a dark gray? according to the photos...may add a little red to make it consistent with the rest of the all red costume... and attached pretty high on the back...I may use velcro to attach it.

At least we know it will be popular with the UGA fans ;) as it is all red.

Guest Anonymous

My idea for the "wings" would be wonderflex surrounding pieces of craft foam.

Here's a really good tutorial for what my idea would be.

You'd have to be careful not to let them sit out somewhere too hot for a long time but they're as good an option as any. Maybe you could also do something like cardboard or pepakura or something.

Guest sithgirl40

Recently wore the Nightsister costume to the Atlanta Boo at the Zoo event.

Complete with the bow. It lights up at night, but it was just too bright to see it....even in the shade... the string is EL wire and the arrow is inside a tubing, and also has the El wire inside it. It is turned on by a hidden controller in the bottom handle...under my left hand.

The skin color does look a little bright, but it is gray and white cream makeup.

The arms and hands are painted with fabric paint as it enables me to touch stuff and wears off less on my costume..... I am wearing dyed leggings ....and the wraps are sewn at the feet and wrapped around the legs (and yes, it takes forever), but that was the only way to keep the elephant knees from appearing.

Let me know what you think! Am I ready to start the applications to join the 501st?

Anne-Nightsister-AtlantaZoo-10-23-2011.jpg

Guest sithgirl40

I found out the fabric paint comes off on the bow plastic parts. So will have to wear gloves, dyed, under the hand wraps.

However, they get all fuzzy when dyed, any ideas to prevent this from happening again?

Sorry for any delays, I moved to Florida and am actually still unpacking :)

Guest sithgirl40

Anyone have any additional comments?

I need to reorder the EL wire for the bow as it is has now stopped working.

But other than that....I think I am ready to submit the finished costume.

But I'm not sure how to start that process as this costume is not listed on their site nor does it have standards written.........

Help?

Guest Anonymous

The rules for costume approval are published here:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming ... iew_policy

In short, you submit to your GML like any other costume. It is reviewed by the relevant detachment leader and the LMO, and then either approved or deferred for revision.

Since the Flagship DL will have a key part in your approval, getting her OK ahead of time is a big step toward making it happen.

Guest sithgirl40

So I tried again with my Nightsister at C6.

But I seem to have gained a little weight, or something, as now the obis are a little tighter than I remember and hard to close.

I also noticed the fabric paint I usually wear on my arms when wearing this costume is not going to work...sadly. It started coming off on my belt and wearing off where my bends.

So I may have to try airbrush paint...........

But I did roughly get the "wings" attached.

DSC03337.jpg

And the back

DSC03340.jpg

I have a friend wanting to join the 501st. This is the costume she REALLY wants to do. Has this been 501st approved yet? If not, how far away is it from being approved? If it has been approved is there a CRL up or a rough one in progress? And she also wants to know does it have to be the archer, or can it be one with the knives?

I am sure she has plenty more questions, and once I talk her stubborn butt into joining the forums, I am sure she will be asking many :P

Better answered by the DL/XO but my best guess is that as a different character, with enough noticeable differences in the costume, the one you linked Kris would need to be a separate CRL and thus a separate First in the Legion. Nothing wrong with that, just needs all the same work as the archer.

However, for the sake of standardizing things, it would be really great to get a list of suggested fabric types, color codes and such that are close matches to the colors in the show.

There is no CRL for the character with the knives, no. It has been established that each of the Nightsister characters is an individual, and costumes need to match the references for a particular character. There has been an attempt to approve a "custom" design which had a combination of different Nightsister's costume pieces, and it was not accepted. If someone has references showing both a front and back view of a particular character, and makes a costume to match the references, then it should be approved.

Pam :-)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talia_%28Nightsister%29 This is the Nightsister she was talking about. Her and I will have to do some more looking to find a back view of her outfit, but with her being on TCW I am confident we will. I can always get a screen cap directly from the show.

Guest sithgirl40

I am redoing a few things with my nightsister, including airbrush paint, then will try submitting her to the 501st.

Why preface do i pick?

I dont dont many...

Ideas????

Good afternoon,

Keeping up a build thread with reference images on The Flagship Eclipse would be a great start. (Be sure to get your own screen caps front and back. Do not limit yourself to what is available on the Internet.) Notifying the Detachment staff of your intention to seek 501st approval of a New-to-the-Legion costume is strongly advisable.

Nightsisters fall under the super category SL.

Currently there is a sub category for Nightsister; Karis

sl11573_full.jpg

If the sub category has not yet been established, you will need to submit under the super category and inform your GML that if approved, your costume will require the creation of a new subcategory.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest sithgirl40

I have had paint on order for a very long time...like June.

As it is getting closer to Halloween the stores should be getting the back orders , ordered.

I will then be able to take updated photos and finally submit