• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

CW Nightsisters

Guest sithgirl40

Guest sithgirl40

A friend and I are planning nightsister costumes...from Clone Wars.

We know in order to be approved for 501st, and we are hoping to help this happen, you have to paint skin and not wear leggins and eurotards.

We had planned on sewing strips to the leggins, but as we could not wear those to Lucas events...we are trying to sew the strips together--making our own panty hose--.

Currently we are using all the scrap material we have trying to figure out how to make their hats. We have noticed, when seen from the side, the entire face is hidden...only the mask is showing.

Has anyone else tried to make this costume, or currently trying to make this costume that can provide some feedback?

We will gladly share what we learn also........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I briefly considered doing one of these costumes. As for the fabric wrapped around the legs, have you thought of using double-sided body tape to secure it? That's just an initial thought, and it'd probably still take some sewing and messing with to get it to work, but it could help with the fabric staying where it's supposed to.

witches.jpg

I think that sewing the strips together for the leg wraps should work well to keep them in the proper wrapped shape and then body tape would hold them up. It does look like they're wearing short shorts underneath the bodysuit, the shorts made up of the strips ... perhaps you could sew the wraps to a long thin strip of light grey fabric that could run down the length of the inner thigh, suspended from the shorts?

For the hat, my suggestion would be to make a form of some kind out of foam or something that sits directly on the head and then is covered by the hood. This would help the hood keep its tall and pointed shape. Alternatively, you could use wire and maybe interfacing to stiffen the fabric into the correct shape.

Guest Tirilia

Hi! I'm glad I found this, I've started eyeing off a Naa'Leth (the one with the face mask) costume myself.

I wrote to the Contact Us with regards to the elegibility of the nightsisters for 501st approval.. I wondered if they were considered 'bad guy' enough. As well as stance on references for the Clone Wars animated series.

You mentioned we arent able to to wear leggings/leotards etc, I was wondering why, if done well, it could potentially have a much greater effect than painted skin.. Using a SithStalker as an example, I know one who uses painted stocking-like fabric on their arms to achieve the undead effect (http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... tumeID=151). If done well, like his, they look great. I wonder if the same application could not be extended to the nightsisters.

Absolute best of luck with your endevor! looking forward to seeing your progress :)

ps- I guess if you're going for 501st approval, you gotta go by what you said re no leotards, if youre just making it because you think theyre awesome characters (like me) then it could make it a lot easier on yourself if you used the leggings idea to build around.

Guest sithgirl40

I'm still planning on using the leggings to attach the leg strips to..that way I know they will stay up.

I will be cutting them where my real legs appear under the wraps..to help the costume be legal. My friend...who is making a different sister will be sewing the strips together and making a pair of leggings that way..

At least this way we will have two examples of how to do the sisters/witches and can determine...and offer feedback of which is best.

From our little test...both seem able to work.

Will keep postings of how it is going....thanks to those who have responded...

Guest sithgirl40

Question for all about color.

One of the sisters we are doing is in the photo above, the one to the left.

While looking at the photo of fabric below,

IMG_2958.jpg

in the photo of this sisters, fabric will be below the obi but on top of the leg wraps...kinda like her bottoms.

We welcome all opinions as we want to get this right..

Thanks in advance.

Guest sithgirl40

Hello, this is the other half of the design team for the Nightsisters. I pose this question to all who can give a solid official answers on a costume with no standards at this time.

We have seen two prominent pictures of the Sith Witches. One depicts them in shades of reds. The second shows them in reds, with shades of oranges and browns mixed in. We like both. But being new to what the 501st looks for, making a decision is difficult. Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Figuring out the colors of EU costumes can be a real challenge. (For that matter, even figuring out the color of the costumes in the movies has been difficult. Some of us know all about the debates over the color of Anakin's tabbards, Han's jacket, and Leia's pants!) The best advice I can give is to look at the images from a neutral color background (the publicity shots instead of the cartoon stills, which use a lot of colorful atmosphiric lighting), and then use your best judgement. Personally I would lean more toward various shades of red, rather than orange. The colors can lean toward orange or burgundy or brown as needed to bring out the details of the layers, but keep the base color of red as the central focus. All we can do is try our best to match the references, which will change from one image to the next, that's just the challenge of EU costuming!

Pam :-)

Alright, so I presented the Nightsister's case to the LMO in charge of Flagship costumes.... pros and cons and so forth concerning the leg wraps. He's in agreement that there is so little skin showing on the legs, that form-fitting leggings may be used under the wraps without detracting from the quality of the costumes. Body paint would still be required for the arms and faces, and the leggings need to match the color of the rest of the skin.

Guest sithgirl40

That is very good news Pam.

Now it looks like we get to dye some more...

I really just wanted the tights under to help give support to my legs...but if they get approved with the tights made that way. All the better!

Pam - How do we know if they will be allowed when we apply for 501st?

Guest Anonymous

I may start my own Nightsister costume. Goin to try and have a new costume done by October for Star Wars Fan Days in Dallas. I like the idea of sewing the strips of fabric onto the leggings. Let me know how that works for y'all.

As long as the tights are form-fitting, correctly colored, and give the appearance of "pale skin" they will be approveable; we have the LMO's word on that. Do a good job with them, and they will be approved. As always, the way that we create the costume is just as important as what we create them with. That said, however... once the current LMO is out of office, the next LMO may very well have a different outlook, and things may change.

Guest Tirilia

Howdy!

Been doing my research too, sourcing bits and pieces.. what do you think of this for the leggings?

http://www.justzentai.com/light-flesh-c ... nisex.html

please excuse some of the not exactly G rated language on the site, whilst the zentai suits are more often used for costuming, of course there will always be some people who dont have G rated purposes in mind.

My only thought on that color was maybe that, as pale as it is, maybe its still too skin tone.. they do have a white one;

http://www.justzentai.com/white-modal-zentai-suit.html .. perhaps it could be dyed an offwhite/grey?

Also folks, what were your thoughts on contact lenses? in some of the reference shots, the Sisters look like they have a grey edge around their white iris's so their eyes arent pure white out..

Guest Anonymous

What are you all using for the fabric to wrap the legs and arms?

I went to Hancock's and JoAnn's today to see what there was. After spending a few hours just walking up and down the isles I decided that I might just stick with muslin for the legs at least. With muslin, I could buy a lot for a cheap price. I'd also be able to dye the fabric and it would be ok if the color was a bit uneven since that would just add some character and dynamic to the leggings. I look at the pictures and I think that if you just had a solid red wrapped that it would look sort of one-dimensional. My plan is to wear ballet/dance flats (think the black jazz shoes that are thin and flexible) with the leggings (fabric sewn onto some type of leggings/tights/etc) over the shoes. With this I could keep back-up died muslin to wrap and tie around the feet if the fabric on the bottom begins to wear out and I wouldn't have to worry about running out of expensive fabric and having to find something similar last minute if needed.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. I'm on a college student budget and trying to take some price shortcuts but still make the costume look realistic. I'd still like to know what the rest of you are planning as far as fabric goes though.

Guest sithgirl40

We bought stretch fabric for the wrappings.

We dyed them normal like and bought fabric spray in black and sprayed the wrappings...after we cut them out.

(Most of my post will be "we" as a friend and I are both making this costume together for each of us.

We plan on doing a lot of work this week....we will let you know how it goes.

You were talking about the bottom of your "shoes".. in some of the post about other characters that have wrappings, I think it was Ventress...you are allowed to attach a sole to your feet.

Guest sithgirl40

We started hand sewing the leg wraps to the leggins and it is working good.

To ensure if a thread breaks and they don't unravel, we are knotting the thread every 10 stitches about every 5 inches.

Will keep updated here when we make progress....it is just going slow at this point.

Guest sithgirl40

Finally ready to start the leg wraps. The ankle being the hard part to do ....if it is too tight, you will not be able to get it off you foot.

We are sewing these to the leggins which we have dyed to match their light gray skin.

sithwitchlegs.jpg

Guest sithgirl40

A friend told us about el wire, electroluminescent wire that glows when electricity runs through it, it is flexable.

I have bought some to use for the bow. It comes attached to a battery pack and is supposed to be about 10 feet long.

It comes in a bunch of different colors...I have ordered the purple as that is what color it appears to be in the cartoons.....versus red.

Will send more info when that comes in....i ordered if off amazon and cost around $20 with shipping.

EL wire is seriously cool stuff. We bought some years ago (in green) to experiment with while we were making various lightsaber blades. We never did use it for a saber, but we still get it out to mess with every now and then, just because it's geeky fun. I don't know if it's typical or just the particular setup that we made, but it makes a steady high pitched hum when it is turned on.

Have fun!

P.S. The Team Unicorn girls look great!

Guest Anonymous

I've learned a few really important lessons these last few days of messing with my costume.

1) Spend the extra money on stretchy fabric.

2) Don't expect non-stretchy fabric glued on to stretchy material with Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue to be stretchy enough to fit over your ankles.

3) Don't expect to ever be able to connect the sides where you cut said non-stretchy fabric glued on to stretchy fabric again.

Extra:

4) Needles hurt when you're hand-sewing on hundreds of snaps.

So.. after I learned those few things I decided to scrap all ideas of sewing/gluing my muslin onto my leggings. I ended up deciding to make my own leggings. What I've done here is wrap the fabric slowly around my leg, sewing on snaps each time it overlaps on the inside part of my leg. I've also decided that when I need to wear the costume for long periods of times with lots of walking I will be investing in body tape to make sure the fabric stays in place, even though it's doing a pretty good job as it is now. As for what I'm goin to do when it comes to below the ankles.. who knows. It's goin to be a long week, though.