• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

costume in progress ^_^

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey all, i have started a WIP thread on 501stTAG but i thought i should post one on here too as im sure you lovely people could give me some advice and hints ^_^.

ok so due to limited funds this might take awhile but i am hopping to have it at least partly finished for Melbourne Armageddon down here in Australia in October.

im in the progress of making a mock up of the vale, just finished the design...i think.

Guest Anonymous

so im more then angry right now...attempted the mock up veil today and wanted to shoot myself! but i decided to stab myself in the face a few times with my sewing needles instead -.- such fun til i managed to borrow a Styrofoam head from a friend which thankfully cut down on the stabbing.

i have also decided on what whether im doing the comic version or the KOTOR 2 version....after looking at the red under dress on its own i have noticed its very similer to a sewing pattern a friend has, she used it to make me a medieval dress so i know it will work. so to make life easy i have decided that the comic one is the way to go.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the veil was the hardest part of the outfit. Okay, IS the hardest part :) . But once you figure it out, it's awesome :) . The third picture looks the best, in my opinion. Are you happy with any of them?

Guest Aysel

that third one looks the best out of all of them, keep trying though, I found that after each attempt I got it closer and closer, and with your stunt double it'll be easier. If you'd like to see pictures of the underside of my completed veil (I don't think I took any pictures of it yet) then I can send those to you. And also check the pics that I have in my thread and some of the other one's being made. One lady (sorry I don't remember your name) is making the eye part as a head band thing and separate from the rest of the veil (she's doing game version however)

as for the patterns, that's basically what I did, I had a printout of the costume and looked through the pattern books at my local fabric store till I came across a pattern that best fit my needs, I still had to modify it some but it worked out in the end.

Guest Anonymous

The head band version is kinda how I'm doing it too and I'm doing the comic version. I decided to go with a headband style because I really want it to be held against my face firmly and not feel like it's going to fly off. We get some bad wind in AZ, so I want to feel confident that it won't fly off if I turn the wrong way or wear it outside :) .

I'm almost done with my veil, so I'll post some pictures later today.

Guest Anonymous

thank you all for your comments, i attempted to try a head band like idea with the 1st one buttttttttttt................i have a new update ^_^

so the 1st attempt at the mock up veil was a pain in the butt....so the next day i went back to the machine and thought and then chucked it in the bin.

After going though a few peoples WIP threads on this costume i got an idea and started mock up number 2 for the veil.....and id just like to say ITS AWESOME!!!! after seeing how much trouble i went though the other day to make the veil i still cant get over how excited i was/am over making the new mock up in under an hour...

i have managed to pinch $50 of my partner and plan on going and buying material for the vale tomorrow ^_^ ....yeah just a little bit excited over here :D

Guest Aysel

to help keep it on your head and tight across your face add some elastic to the edge of the face part to go around your head, I'll take pics of the underside of my veil so you can see how I worked it out for me.

Guest Anonymous

i need help asap!!!! can someone anyone please tell me this isnt to short please dont make me cry

Guest Aysel

it's hard to tell with the angle of the pic but I'd say your on the short side of ok-able, (half and inch longer would be better) but you'd have to have the costume judge weight in on that

Guest Anonymous

If it IS too short, or if you are afraid of it being too short, the easist way to add the length is to paint the pattern on a different piece of fabric and then sew the painted trim to the bottom of your current veil. That way you don't have to remake the whole thing.

I think it does look kinda short, especially for a Comic version of Visas, but it also looks really good :) . If you added the trim to a separate piece, that would help alot with the length.