• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

The Dark Prince, to return

The Clone Emperor

xizor_teasor_by_thecloneemperor-d3j1h7h.jpg

This is the highest resolution version image I can produce for this 2003 costume project. (A scaled version has been sent to our DL Pam for CRL completeness.)

For some tyme I have wanted to remake this costume from scratch, starting with a new mask sculpt in silicon. I have a target event in mind, but I'll not jinx myself by committing it to a post before actual work has begun.

Digging through my archives to produce this image has inspired me to attempt one last pull from my molds so that The Dark Prince, in his Mark 1 appearance may return this year, (2011.)

Be well,

Thomas

This is a recent pull from my 2004 molds of the Prince;

281992_10150320208649623_633079622_9430062_4702373_n.jpg

Here again is the same piece after detailing.

223745_10150338857034623_633079622_9633138_3693759_n.jpg

I cast this with two coats of latex, remembering just last night why I should not do that. The problem is, the thicker the latex, the more the shrinkage of the interior and the less elasticity overall. I can only wear this mask with a slit up the back of the neck. While such a solution is workable, I think I will pour up a new mask today with one coat.

Be well,

Thomas

I'm pleased to see that the mold is still in such great shape after time and castings have both taken their toll on it. It's always good to hang on to things like that, because you never know when the inspiration to return to the project may strike! It'll be interesting to see this costume evolve a second time; thank you for sharing the progress pictures. I enjoy seeing them.

I'm very familiar with the shrinking issue with latex! This picture really illustrates the problem. The headpiece isn't fully dry yet, but you can see how much smaller than the mold it has already become. I have to make the head area a full 10% larger than my own head measurements, or the headpiece will be too tight to fit over my head once the latex shrinks....

DryingLekku.jpg

And that is for little more than a "cap" shape! I can only imagine the problems that would be caused by a full-head mask that shrinks too much! You'd be green on the outside, but turning blue underneath!

Happy costuming!

Pam :-)

While still a latex casting, I painted this version of my mask by finger with Rubber Mask Paint. I feel the result was much more believable.

prince_xizor_2011_by_thecloneemperor-d5vtt2i.jpg

Still my ultimate goal is to resculpt The Dark Prince and cast his Falleen countenance in silicon.

Be well