• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas questions

Twi'lek Pam

Hi,

Yes, the hilt needs to be based on the KOTOR style. There is leeway in how that style is interpreted (aka every maker seems to find a different way to create the look they see in the references), but it does need to be recognizable as a KOTOR weapon.

A half dozen examples have been shared here on the forum over the years, and no two are the same... but you can definitely tell what game they were inspired by!

Pam :-)

Guest Aysel

there's a lightsaber builders forum that I don't remember the name for that you might want to check out. from what I understand they have parts lists and tutorials or you can track someone down to help you build it there.

Guest Aysel

I used Simplicity pattern 2249 with some modifications for my outer dress. The Cheongsam is lovely and could probably work, you'd have to change the skirt part so the split is up the front and lengthen it a bit, but it looks doable.

Guest Anonymous

I think you would also have to modify the shape of the skirt somewhat (the overdress is A-line and the cheongsam appears to be straight), and add wider cap sleeves, but I think it could be done. If you already have a pattern that you know fits you, that's always a good place to start. Visas' overdress is a shape that can be made with many different patterns and even though most people have used a princess-seamed dress, I don't believe there's anything in the CRL requiring that.

Guest Aysel

my post above has the pattern I used for mine, the product number for the pleather I picked up at Joann's (I have the cardboard cause I ended up buying the whole bolt that they had) is 171-8675 Costume Pleather Black textured pleather http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/prod ... xprd757783 this in black sadly I didn't save the UPC for the under dress fabric, I found it in the prom/bride's maid fabric section at Joann's

Guest Sakara

my first outerdress was made from a thin pleather and worked well for its purpose as i could fit it well to my body.

My second outer dress was made from this amazing fabric i found that looks like a textured leather but is as drapey and flowing as a heavy jersey. It is perfect for getting the fitted look of her game costume. Ive not found anything like it since, the shop owner didnt know what to call it, so cant even give it a name!

the inner dress i made (game version) using an old pattern i had. It was for jersey fabric. A turtle neck knee length dress with only bust darts that i lengthened and ballooned the sleeves so that could be gathered at the opening to be her game sleeve style.

Kwiksew do a similar pattern - 3472 - you would need to lengthen the dress to the ankles and perhaps take out some of the width in the skirt, as well as of course making the sleeves wider.

I used a heavy synthetic jersey as it had the correct drape and feel and was a lovely matt texture.