• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Tunic

Guest Darth Revan

Guest Darth Revan

Tunic and Tabbard

The tunic and tabbard is made of leather or leather like material. (confirmed with Jan) Jan did say that if she made another, that she would make the the body out of something lighter, but would keep the rest leather.

EDIT (19-April-2007): Jan and I were talking about using more breathable materials for the "body" of the tunic. It is important to note that this is a suggestion for heat control. The "canon" material is black garment leather with "Vader-like" quilting on the arms and neck.

Guest Sakara
an did say that if she made another that would make the the body out of something lighter, but would keep the rest leather.[/i]

sorry, can you rephrase that as i cant quite work out what your trying to say lol

Guest Cleverlilminx
an did say that if she made another that would make the the body out of something lighter, but would keep the rest leather.[/i]

sorry, can you rephrase that as i cant quite work out what your trying to say lol

She's right, reword this passage please.

Guest Anonymous

I believe what is being said is that the section on the wearer's trunk would be something lighter than leather (since the armor would be covering) and the rest (that would be seen with the armor) would be leather. This is a common way of making a three piece Vader. The arms are attached to a cloth shirt body and then coverred by a leather vest.

Guest Sakara

that makes sense as even the thinest leather for that sort of tunic would look odd across the chest. it doesnt work well with gathering at the waist.

Guest Cleverlilminx

Wouldn't that depend on how much the armor covers however?

If I saw a different fabric sticking out around the chest armor, I would think that cheapens the overall look of the costume.

It's the little details that make a costume sometimes...

Guest Sakara

If the tunic sleeve was cut right say with raglan sleeves that would hide the non pleather body part quite well. Again experimentation with shaping is the key. Ive seen a few Vader bodysuits that have panels in other fabrics to allow for coolness and they are completely hidden by the armour and cloak.

Guest Cleverlilminx

Yes I know of a few vaders with a mesh back panel and that could be used here as well of course since both costumes have a cloak to cover the backs nicely.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, talk to your Renie costumers about faking. For example on my Henry VIII, the gown pieces covered by the overcoat is broadcloth, but the rest is a nice jaquard. The belt covers the seem (like on a Jedi tabard).

Guest Darth Revan

Sorry for the slow delay on this request. I had to hunt down the e-mail that Jan and I were talking about this subject.

I have placed the update in the 1st post.

Guest Darth Revan
that makes sense as even the thinest leather for that sort of tunic would look odd across the chest. it doesnt work well with gathering at the waist.

I agree with you on this. In my coversations with Jan I did mention that the drawings look like it was a more cloth looking than leather, but she metioned that she had made a costume (either based off the IK or something like the IK. I have lost that e-mail) and used leather. This was the base that she used in drawing the IKs.

If the IKs ever get to the point of being concidered for the 501st, I would like to see both cloth and leather for the tunic for the standards, but as Thomas has said to me, "It is best to get the costume done as Jan invisioned it, even if it is hard to do." (That is a bit pharaphased, but shows a valid point. We should let the artist describe the costume and we as costumers get as close as possible.)

Guest Sakara

yeah...though, having had experience working with a fashion designer and having to interpret their drawn designs into reality..sometimes what works on paper and in the head, doesnt always work in reality........lol.

Just look at Anime :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Anonymous

Yep, a bit warm even without armor and a cloak, but not too unbearable. I used the thinest pleather that I had available, it's the Vader suit that creates the heat issue in my case.

Jason