• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Visas Finally!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that's kinda what I did too. *grumble grumble* maybe if I actualy CUT the piece to the proper measurements, it would help :P . And I might try using a styrofoam head, so I can see what I'm doing, dangnabit :P .

Guest Anonymous

I did something different for the face piece, I basically made it as an extra wide headband. I haven't made it in the actual fabric yet but I'll post pictures of the muslin in my progress thread.

Guest Anonymous

I LOVED how you did it, E. Hyde, so I did something very similar :) . And I'm very happy with out it turned out :) .

I finished all the muslins, including the belt, so now i'm going start cutting my fabric :) . Maybe not today, but soon :) . Me happy :).

Guest Anonymous

YAY :) . We are making so much progress on the costume! I have the front and back of the underdress sewed up and right now my sister is painting the trim on the sleeve. Then I will sew up the underdress! I'm getting SO excited about this costume!

Guest Anonymous

Almost done :) . I have the overdress painted, sewed, and the underdress, and the veil and the belt all completed. Today I'm going to wear it to my sister's party. We are going with masks to a play, so it will be fun. And a good test run for the costume.

I am NOT happy with the paint job on the dress. I mean, the grey looks pretty good, but the black paint I sprayed on top did not work and is just gross! I almost need to seal the dress now. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'll get some pictures of the costume tonight to show you all.

Guest Aysel

I had absolutely no problem with either my grey or black paint for my over dress...The black paint you have is vinyl paint, yes? and did you wipe down the pleather with a damp cloth before you painted? those are the only things I can think of that would cause the problem you've discribed

Guest Anonymous

No, I didn't use a vinyl paint. I used a cheap black paint from walmart. I think I'll have to play with it more. I can handwash the dress, so I'll do that and see how much of the paint comes off in the wash :) .

So, how do you guys deal with the smell issue? Or is it an issue for you guys?

Guest Aysel

on my pleather dress there is no smell. If I were you I'd see about some vinyl paint, you can get it at Napa or Autozone for pretty cheap. The type of paint you use really depends on the medium you put it on. With vinyl paint it's designed specifically to go on surfaces on which you sit, so it's really durable.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I finally finished :) . I'm not very happy with the veil, but I think there will end up being a version 2 later :P . Comments welcome!

P1010009-2.jpg

P1010011-3.jpg

P1010012-1.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010017-1.jpg

and a cool fun pose I got to make :)

P1010020.jpg

The veils are evil, and exist only to make our lives difficult! :-D

I think you've done a fine job, and I'm sure you have an approvable costume now. I do encourage you to keep upgrading... with each little bit you tweak, you'll be happier with your creation, and it'll look even better. Experience teaches us a lot in the costuming hobby! I would suggest upgrading the sleeves sometime to have an even greater bell shape. They're okay now, but could be even better. Her sleeves are really big! Both the pinwheels and the gold patterns look really good.

Well done.

Pam :-)

great job! very nice gold detailing on the dress and veil and really nice pinwheels. The outer dress looks amazing. And you've nailed the red tone of the belt. ^_^ I see your prepared to keep tweaking, and I agree with Pam one what you should have on your list of tweaks. When you go to tweak your sleeves try for a deeper scoop to the seam, think of a "J" on it's side with the tail of the "J" at your arm when you go to draft out the pattern. As for the veil....yea those exist only to make our lives living heck, you've got the length perfect it's just the pesky face part that never seems to want to sit right. My suggestion would be when you get to it, start pinning from the top middle of the face part to the sides, that way you'll be able to try to work those puckers out.

Anyway, fantastic job and I hope to some day see this in person (maybe at CVI? hinthint)

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

Thank you both :) .

I will keep the sleeves in mind for my next try, Pam. Those sleeves were kinda hard to draft and get as big as they are :P . But I'll make sure to try again and go deeper :) .

Thank so much for the nice comments. My sister did the gold on the veil and sleeves and I think she did a great job :) .

The veil is just to drive us crazy, I think :P . I have ideas for how to make it next time, like not cutting the veil with a straight line over the face, but a curvish line to help fall in the right spot. I thought about just modifying the current veil, but my mom and I think that will be too much work for not what we want. So I'll be on the look out for better fabric for a new dress and veil :) .

Thank you so much! Looking forward to being a part of the 501st at last :)

The veil is just to drive us crazy, I think :P . I have ideas for how to make it next time, like not cutting the veil with a straight line over the face, but a curvish line to help fall in the right spot. I thought about just modifying the current veil, but my mom and I think that will be too much work for not what we want. So I'll be on the look out for better fabric for a new dress and veil :) .

^^this, I actually used fabric glue to make the seam at the top of the forehead lay right along with sewing it in. and your right it's a curvished line not straight. but that's for next time ^_^

and tell you sister she did a great job on the gold, it came our really nice.

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

And I'm approved! YAY :) . And I applied with this costume to the Rebel Legion and got approved by both on the same day :) . Very, Very happy girl right now :)

SL 9055 reporting in :)