• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Simple Painting Stand

Twi'lek Pam

When you paint a prop (or costume piece), you should always keep the prop lifted off the table surface. This is especially important if you are going to use an airbrush or spray paint. Raising the prop off the table allows you to see it from more angles, it allows you to paint around the lower edges, and it keeps the paint from 'sealing' your work to the table surface as it dries.

If you are painting a small object, an effective (and cheap) raised painting surface can be made with a cardboard box and a few rivets. Turn the box upside down, and stick the rivets in a scattered pattern through the cardboard so that their long side is facing down. The 'collar' piece of each rivet will stop it from sinking too far into the box, and the rounded ball at the top will provide a nice smooth surface for your prop to rest on. And, when you move on to another project, the rivets can easily be pulled out and reconfigured to a new shape.

Always allow the paint to dry thoroughly on the first side before you turn a prop over to paint the other side. Turning it over too soon may cause damage to the newly painted surface. Be patient, and you'll save yourself from having to make repairs later on!

RivetBox.jpg

Here's a box and rivet stand in use...

RivetBlaster.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Good idea! I confess, I've not used a stand and just sort of used the spraypaint at an extreme angle. Trust me, not the best solution. This is so easy, I'll make one myself for my vambrace painting, when I start that! Wow, why didn't I think of this?

- Carolyn