• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Malak by Vodobaas

Guest vodobaas

Guest vodobaas

HI here some pics of my Darth Malak.

Plese tell me your opinnion about my costume and what to doo to get it approved.

[attachment=2]malak höger.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]malak b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]malak front.jpg[/attachment]

Hi,

That is one seriously intimidating costume!

You asked for a critique, so let's take it from the top!

First, you've got a great look to the head and the jaw piece. The paint is a bit too blue over the head (it should be more gray), and there are some details that are a little bit off on the jaw, but overall it's a great bit of work. Try blending the dark color around your eyes a bit more... give them the look of being more hollow and shadowed, and you'll find the creepy effect gets even better! How difficult is it to wear that jaw piece? Does it stay in place well, or make it hard for you to turn your head?

MalakHeadFrontalandSideLeft.jpg

The cape is a good length, but it should only be attached over one shoulder. It only hangs down over one side. (Yes, I know that the mini figure shows the cape going over both sides, but the minis are notoriously inaccurate, and shouldn't be used as a reference. We use the game turnarounds, which are the base models.)

normal_MalakBack.jpg

Great detailing on the belts! They both look good to me.

I am very hesitant about accepting the color of the jumpsuit and the chest armor. In the reference images they are always a rusty orange/red color. In the costume photos, the jumpsuit looks almost like a pinkish red, and the armor is something of a candy apple red. While the armor would be easy to repaint in a non-glossy rust colored paint, I know that it would be a lot harder to make the jumpsuit fabirc more acurate. But still, it's not the right color... that's the kind of call I would hate to make. The jumpsuit is a bit too baggy, it would be more accurate if it was skin tight. (Which really requires stretch fabric, or you'd be unable to move!) Does your costume include the ridge that goes down the center of the stomach area?

normal_MalakFrontJawless.jpg

Granted, the mini bust is a bit more red than orange, but it's still more orange tinted:

MalakMiniBust1.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photos if you have three separate sashes hanging down from the belt. I can see that you have the front sash, but I cannot tell if you have both of the side sashes, which hang down over the outside of each leg. I think you have them, but they blend into the cape and it's hard to see the details of black against black!

The boots should be fine. It's always difficult to find an exact match to the references, but I think those are close enough.

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha

That's a very good Lord Malak! I love to see that jaw piece you made. I think you could add some texture details on his jumper thingy - it looks more like a nighty right now. Everything else looks fine, though. As I said, just adding some details and more texture. The start is, however, great!

Guest vodobaas

Thanks for your ideas and opinnion.

tho i hope that you could give a more deatailed aswer on a few things.

Pams (and there are some details that are a little bit off on the jaw, )

Darith (a think you could add some texture details on his jumper thingy - it looks more like a nighty right now)

Pam the jaw is easy to wear but a pain in the ... to put on and off.

color on the fabrik is not so pinkyred ass in the picture but i need to get it dyed more to orange.

Picture quality is not so good and all the deatails do not show,the jumpsuit is made in folded layers and sew togetter and it is now bit baggy but will be bodytight after its dyed.

Yes it has 3 sashes.

Guest Sakara

A good technique to get the suit a more darker grungier orange would be to use an airbrush with acrylics and spray lightly in areas where it would be in shadow on the game model. by using acrylics ( which should last on fabric no problem if sprayed lightly,) can also be used on the armour, so the colour would match up. it would also mattify the armour, which in the photo is very shiny.

I remember someone in the Uk wanting to do this and then running away scared at the jaw thing, so well done for getting that looking great!

Guest CAndyman

I had originally planned on building a Malak myself before I became enthralled by Darth Nihl so I'm glad to see someone making an attempt at it! :D

I agree with Pam's appraisal regarding the color of the suit and the cape. What I had originally planned on doing for the suit is to make it of brownish-orange leather so that it had the same feel of Vader's or even the Imperial Knight's undersuits.

But all that aside you definitely have captured the feel of the character and I would have no problem identifying the character immediately upon seeing you in costume and I think that is truly the first goal of any good costumer. Kudos to you and I look forward to watching your progress! :D