• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Moxxxie's search for the perfect Ventress makeup

tk6232

Just as a foreword:

I use Graftobian baldcaps applied with Prosaide. I've never had a baldcap come unstuck yet.

Attempt #1: Kryolan Aquacolor

I did a bit of research, and it looked like one of the best water-based options on the market was the Kryolan Aquacolour range. I bought a large white pancake and a small black pot. The black is really awesome - it has so much pigment in it, and goes on really nicely. The white? It's a pain in the ass to get this stuff even. It took me 90 minutes of padding, and blending, and stuffing around - and even then, I wasn't really happy with the outcome.

I covered the whole lot with some Fixier Spray from Kryolan, which really helped keep the makeup from sliding off my face.

Price: AU $30- $40 each

Pro: Great long lasting colour, does rub off after 3-4 hours.

Con: Realy difficult to get an even cover of white.

Verdict: I still use the Black pot as my lip colour. Instead of mixing it with water, I mix it with the Fixier Spray, and I have lovely black lips for hours on end! I wont rely on using the White Kryolan again, because it's just too much hassle.

Attempt #2: Random White Acrylic Body Paint

After reading up on some of Pam's tutorials, I decided to go down the airbrush road. I bought myself a little portable unit (this one here) and then went to the closest hobby store and bought the cheapest acrylic airbrush paint I could find.

I slathered my skin in barrier cream first, then went about spraying my face with it.

My first run through the airbrush, and I was super impressed. It went on so evenly! It was so fast! I could even do eye shadow with it! Even from this early attempt, i recognised that Airbrushing is the way forward.

The acrylic went on pretty thick, and cracked pretty easily - but for a backup, I'll be keeping some of this in my makeup kit. I mixed this with the black Kryolan aquacolour pot for the lips and tattoos, then sealed it all off with the Fixier spray.

Price: AU $4.50 each

Pro: Cheap. Quick to apply. Even colour.

Con: Requires an Airbrush. Will crack easily, and feels like your face has been set in cement.

Verdict: I wouldn't use this for a proper event, unless I was really stuck. It's still cheap enough to keep as a backup though.

Attempt #3: Reel Creations

I know why Pam recommends Reel Creations. This alcohol activated makeup wears so lovely on the skin! It's comfortable, and doesn't rub off. I was wearing this during the day, and temperatures got to 37 degrees C (100 degrees F) - wearing so much black, I sweated up a storm without having makeup run anywhere. God bless alcohol based makeup.

I had some on my hands, and it lasted for about 4 hours (of constant wear and tear) before I needed a good touchup. The makeup did start to smudge around the 6 hour mark around my nose and chin (oily parts of the face) so needed a touch up to last the rest of the day.

Price: AU $40 - $50 each

Pro: Great long lasting colour, doesn't rub off on costumes,

Con: REALLY expensive. The coverage of the white wasn't very good when compared to the acrylics. I had 2oz, which barely got me through one day.

Verdict: I think this might be out of my price range. I'm going to explore other locally available options before going back to Reel.

Attempt #4: TBA

Awesome! I love seeing comparisons like this. Thank you very much for taking the time to type that all up. It is much appreciated.

We have a thread on the Twi'lek forum where we've been comparing the different brands of body paint. You might find a new idea or two there, if you'd like to take a look. You're more than welcome to share your own results as well. Twi'leks and Ventress... they're both bald and uniquely colored!

http://chucrew.com/TwilekCelebration/vi ... p?f=8&t=18

Pam :-)

Guest Sakara

might have to save up for Reel creations for my various alien characters. From Pam's forum, the olive branch looked interesting but shipping to the UK is ridiculous! (min $30 for one bottle.)

Reel Creations might well be the same and stockists of the brand in the Uk dont sell all their colours or only sell their palettes. can someone with an account there see how much it would cost to ship to UK for 3 smallest bottles. ( i really dont want to join up if im not going to get from there. Wish they had a shipping estimator like other sites have.)

Im going to try Kett hydro proof, which looks like it might be good, and is easier to get in UK. when i do, ill write a review here.

Your welcome to put it on your forum too Pam.

I've been working with one of my Chemical Engineering buddies to develop a long-lasting alcohol based makeup, kinda like Reel, except without the painful price tag. So, I've made the first batch - and I'm ever so excited!

I decided to give the two makeup types a bit of a road test. I thoroughly cleaned my arm, then applied some good primer. I got a q-tip and swabbed a sample of the Reel. With a new q-tip I then swabbed a sample of my own.

They both dried in the same amount of time.

I think mine had more pigment, which gave it a more opaque finish.

When they were dry, both were smudge proof. I washed the dishes, and got ready for the ultimate test.

2 hours of sweating my butt off in the Gym!

Results:

Makeup-Test-Batch-1-019.png

Guest Sakara

yeah, cant see the image! Think you've linked it from your own garrison site which i dont think works.

need to see the results of this makeup as you may end up with orders! :D (could it come in other shades!?)

At this point, I'm only makeing really small batches so that I can test the colours.

There'd be no reason why I couldn't make other colours, so long as the pigment/ingredients also come in those colours. The trick will be finding a batch that can be sponged on easily and evenly.

I'll test them both again today (without boxing gloves) to see how it goes!

Guest Sakara

Thats great to hear though, that someone within the flagship is working on their own makeup! i will definitely keep an eye on this!

If it did work then i'd be very interested in a blue, a green and a red. I suspect making the products in their base pigments - red, yellow, blue and then white and black would give an opportunity to mix what ever shade was desired.