• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out theĀ New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nightsister Ventress

ladyb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest broodingventress

So here is my update. We still have to add the plastic to make the hood stand out from my face. The thigh highs still need to be finished. And the neck cowl is just pinned which is why it seems baggy, we are adding an invisible zipper to the back so it will be tighter to me. Then I need to get the pieces for the front made as well as the grieves and the bracers.

Ā 

:)

Thea

Guest broodingventress

So here are the finished soft parts together, I still have to do the bracers and grieves, and I started working on the brooch pieces today, pics to follow

Guest broodingventress
Thea, you rocked this on Saturday's troop. Amazing.

Ā 

FanExpo with you in this, Jody as Savage and me as Maul will be EPIC!!!

Ā 

Thanks Andy :)

Guest Aysel
So here are the finished soft parts together, I still have to do the bracers and grieves, and I started working on the brooch pieces today, pics to follow

Ā 

Ā 

this is turning out very nicely!

Ā 

really guttered - finally decided the funds were there to go forward with this costume - and then found the red fabric weren't on sale at JoAnn's anymore, bah! Guess I'll be looking more into the gray fabric then.

Ā 

I was wondering, about the bare thighs - I'm not really found of naked skin (I tend to get a rash on my thighs, have done so since I was a kid :oops: ) plus I plan on being able to use the costume in winter times/outside too - would it be acceptable with some white "ish" tight fitting leggings/dance wear pants or something?

Ā 

I'd say that if you can track down a pair of white dancers tights to cover your legs you'd you golden, they are nice and thick so you'd be warm (warmish anyway) for winter/cold weather troops and you wouldn't be able to see your skin issue through them

Guest broodingventress

So we had Fan Expo up in Toronto this past weekend, and my husband and I trooped as Savage and Nightsister Ventress. It was awesome, and the clone wars characters were the special guests at the Premiere of Season 4 of the clone wars. We got an entire episode. Mary Franklin of Lucas Film was very impressed with Savage :) Here is a pic that I really liked. More to come

Ā 

Thea

post-1040-14275926134_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

My husband and I are behind in the CW series, and just started watching this story arc last night. This costume caught my eye, so I thought I'd swing back through here as its been a while since I've done any research.

Ā 

But I've gotta say - Thea, you and your husband look amazing!!! Love the work you guys did. Seriously awesome.

Guest Mara Jade

So, I am finally getting into this costume again :) I've bought the books, and are working on patterns and stuff. Getting fabric samples soon, and a friend is coming over next weekend, so we'll be looking at the pattern together :) Can't wait

Ā 

But, I was wondering: Face paint: What's best to use, when I don't have an airbrush, and need it to really stick - even when sweating (a lot)

Ā 

Also: Saber(s) - what are you guys using? I've got the FX saber, but actually, I think it's ugly :(

Guest broodingventress
My husband and I are behind in the CW series, and just started watching this story arc last night. This costume caught my eye, so I thought I'd swing back through here as its been a while since I've done any research.

Ā 

But I've gotta say - Thea, you and your husband look amazing!!! Love the work you guys did. Seriously awesome.

Ā 

I feel of the boards for a while and only just saw this lol thank you for the compliment :)

Guest broodingventress
So, I am finally getting into this costume again :) I've bought the books, and are working on patterns and stuff. Getting fabric samples soon, and a friend is coming over next weekend, so we'll be looking at the pattern together :) Can't wait

Ā 

But, I was wondering: Face paint: What's best to use, when I don't have an airbrush, and need it to really stick - even when sweating (a lot)

Ā 

Also: Saber(s) - what are you guys using? I've got the FX saber, but actually, I think it's ugly :(

Ā 

I am actually using the ventress FX, I don't mnd them, as for the face paint, when I did it, I did do air brush, but if you don't make sure that you have transluscent powder to stop it from coming off on the material

I don't know if that helps :)

Thea

Guest broodingventress

So I am adding a few more pics of my costume. I had submitted for possible approval and there was some question as to the colour choice of my fabric. so here are a few pics of asajj that i used for inspiration. The first one does come off as darker grey than the one that has been posted as the ref pic. That is why I chose a dark grey velvet because the costume looks like it has shadows of black in it and the velvet has that same effect. In the new pics I took of my costume, I took them outside to show the fabric better comparing it to my black shorts that I wear underneath.

Guest broodingventress

I will be adding more silver to my buckles, which weren't shown in the last photos, this week and I will post again.

Ā 

Thea

Okay, a little dissection and compare/contrast time. Don't worry, I'll

be gentle.

Ā 

The thigh-highs and cut of your tunic look really good. You have

those spot on. The shorts are also spot on, according to the episode

where she Tests Savage and the other Zabrak. The only problem is

your sleeves. Hers comes down to the base of her thumb in the

episode and flare slightly around the width of her hand. You might

want to consider using a small stranf of that white cloth to make a

stirrup to go around your thumb for the desired effect.

Ā 

I like the use of the red velvet (is that blood red or dark red?).

However, for the folds, you might want to use a little bit of fabric glue

to give it the pleated look. The drape in the front is the ideal length,

but you might want to gather it a little in small pleats under the

"buckle" so it flares more down toward the bottom.

Ā 

The lower buckle is a little high on the red sash as you can see red

above it in the picture you provided. Otherwise, the buckles look

great, you did a good job on the sculpt (or are those sintra?).

Ā 

Your coloring is actually good. It is not too light or dark according to

the graphics of the episode (I am watching it now and comparing),

with one exception....

Ā 

The material around her neck, the entire "neck seal," is a darker

material than the rest of the suit. Not the hood, just the neck piece.

That one can actually be black, just like the gauntlet wrap material.

It should also be a little more fitted around the neck.

Ā 

For the tops of the legs, it should match your skin color (the

pale/white) as much as possible.

Ā 

I look forward to seeing more of your build. So far, it looks amazing.

Guest broodingventress

Your comments have been really helpful, the small gathering at the top of the red fabri is totally doable and I think I wi get some black velvet or the neck piece to give itore contrast, I completely agree about the sleeves, they are long enough to do it but they tend to slide so I will add your suggestion about that. I am wearing a set of white tights under my outfIt and when I do the makeup again I am going to endeavor to match that as much as possible.i appreciate all the feedback :)

Thea