• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lord Starkiller

Twi'lek Pam

Hi,

That one might potentially be already on the approved list. There is an entry on the legion's costume database that I wasn't sure which costume it would be:

149 Starkiller: Dark Lord's Armor (Hoth)

But.... that sure looks like Hoth in the background to me!

We would need to confirm with Thomas that it is the approved costume, but my guess is that it is. I know that the key to approval with that costume is the shoulder armor. It needs to be sculpted, not just a piece of styrene bent over the shoulders.

Pam :-)

Guest Aysel
Has there been any updates regarding the acceptance of this character?

We have a member candidate who plans to go for Lord Starkiller :)

So we have a consensus that this is the hoth gear that can also be title "Lord Starkiller"?

Guest Aysel
Yes I think so :roll:

alrighty then, tell your guy he's good to go, and that I look forward to seeing a build thread from him ^_^

^_^ Katie

I know there's someone from the Italian Garrison who recently got his Lord Starkiller approved. As far as I know, he's the only one in the Legion so far who's been officially approved with this costume. I've actually been working on this same costume for my son on and off for about 2 years. My son is a member of the Galactic Academy right now, as he's only 16. His GA profile pics are of the old version of his costume. I haven't had a chance to send in updated pics for them to post on the GA website yet. Hopefully he'll be able to get his costume 501st approved when he turns 18. My local Garrison GML said there shouldn't be a problem getting his costume approved in 2 years, as the level of quality on his new suit is SUPERB! I'd love to post some of my recent pics, as I've been remaking almost every piece of his costume, but I'm not totally sure how to post pics on here yet. If someone could PM me specific instructions on exactaly what I need to do to post pics on here, I'd be glad to share. 8) We just recently debuted his upgraded Starkiller at my Garrison's weekend troop at Strong National Museum of Play, & it was a BIG hit! We had a professional photographer there taking pictures all weekend, so we got some nice shots. Presently my Garrison is working on a numbered trading card set, with a sub-set for our local GA members. I'll be sending my son's picture proofs in to have his trading cards printed within the next couple of days. His card looks AWESOME! Glad to see someone else is presently working on this costume besides me! 8)

Since these pics were taken, I've made some new sabers, as several of them that are in the pics I posted aren't the correct ones. I've since made Galen Marek's Starkiller saber hilt, along with Rahm Kota's, & Kazdan Paratus's. The hilts are all made from PVC pipe, mainly to conserve on weight, as Starkiller wears 6 saber's on his belt. Here's some pics of the 3 sabers I made after they were painted & weathered. Enjoy the pics! 8)

Here are a few shots of the finished armor, which I formed out of half inch interlocking foam matting that I bought at Wal-Mart. It's VERY light weight & flexible. It actually only took a couple of hours to form the pieces with my trusty heat gun. I think I probably have about 10-15 hours including paint into this set. Enjoy the pics! 8)

Guest Sarah1968

Absolutely brilliant!!

Just had to say that you have seriously good skills vaderjeff1744 - just amazing!!

Thanks for posting your pics.

Regards

Sarah.

Absolutely brilliant!!

Just had to say that you have seriously good skills vaderjeff1744 - just amazing!!

Thanks for posting your pics.

Regards

Sarah.

Glad you like it! I welcome comments from anyone else too. Here are a few more pics. Enjoy! 8)

Just got my son's Trading Cards back from gotprint.com today! They look GREAT! My son is SO EXCITED! Also of note, I just finished another upgrade on Nick's costume. I've now got the corrected/cut down Maul saber that hangs on the backside, with the Vader saber attached & hanging below it. In some of my previous pics, you can see only the full Maul saber. In the game, Maul's saber is only a partial hilt. Here's a few pics of the Maul & Vader hilts that I just finished weathering, as well as more pics of the Starkiller costume & more pics of my scratch built lightsabers for everyone to enjoy! Let me know what you think. 8)

MaulVaderSabers1.jpg

MaulVaderSabers2.jpg

StarkillerFront3.jpg

StarkillerFront1.jpg

StarkillerLowAngle1.jpg

StarkillerRahmKotaKazdanParatus2.jpg

StarkillerRahmKotaKazdanParatus1.jpg

StarkillerSaberAfterPaint1.jpg

StarkillerSaberAfterPaint2.jpg

StarkillerSaberAfterPaintDetail2.jpg

StarkillerSaberAfterPaintDetail1.jpg

so when does he turn 18? cause I can't wait to see his application cross the desk ^_^

^_^ Katie

He won't be 18 until February, 2014. I know he wishes it was sooner, but for now he'll have to be satisfied being a member of the Galactic Academy. He already participates in a lot of my local Garrison's troops & events, most recently the Rochester Lilac Parade & the Strong National Museum of Play "In Another Galaxy" Event. That being said, 18 still CAN'T come soon enough for him!

Well, I do have a small update. Nick's profile pics have finally been updated on the Galactic Academy website, so now everyone can see his upgraded Starkiller costume! Next on the list of upgrades to the costume will be a whole new body suit! Nick & I will be going to see our local Garrison seamstress this weekend to discuss this upgrade. I've never been totally happy with the original material we used. The sheen just isn't quite leathery enough in its look. The current suit looks ok, but it's getting a bit small on Nick, & I've just never been totally happy with the look of the material we used. For the new suit, I don't really want to go with leather, as the cost is more than what I want to spend. I'm also shying away from vinyl, as it doesn't breath well. I want this costume to be as comfortable as possible for Nick to wear. I'm actually thinking about possibly using some kind of shiny polyester, which would probably have to be quilted to give the desired effect for the stitching. I also want to be able to throw this in the wash whenever I want, so that it doesn't start smelling bad after a lot of long trooping. Hopefully, the seamstress & I will be able to figure out what the best material is to use this weekend. I've got A LOT to discuss with her, as I'm also gearing up to do a Zam Wesell costume for my daughter, among other things. Wish me luck this weekend, & feel free to chime in with any comments & ideas you may all have. I'll be sure to post updates on Nick's costume as they happen. 8)

Another small update. I got the new fabric for Nick's new Starkiller suit. The seamstress & I ended up deciding on a shiny polyester. It's actually jacket lining material. It's got the sheen I think will look good, especially once it's been quilted. I have an appointment set up with the seamstress this weekend, so hopefully we can get the ball rolling on this costume redo/upgrade. Nick & I will be going to NYCC in a few weeks, & it would be nice if his new suit is ready in time! Not sure this is realistically going to happen, but it'd be nice nonetheless! Once this upgrade is done, I'll be sure to post pics for everyone to see. At the very least, this upgrade should be complete by Halloween! 8)