• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mother Talzin - Nightsisters *possible spoilers?*

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was lucky enough to go to the one of the Clone Wars charity screenings this week. I will try and keep this spoiler free at least until the episodes air in January, but I don't think the Nightsister presence is a surprise to anyone who has seen any of the promo materials. Mother Talzin is also featured on the front of the SW Insider this month.

"Mother" Talzin has much similarity to the original concept art for the Sith Witches. I know until the episodes air there won't be enough references, but there was definitely enough screentime of her to give many good looks, even from the back. (yay for turnarounds!)

There's already talk in my garrison of a group build of Nightsisters and it has been decided I have the right chin for Mother Talzin, haha.

I'm assuming because they are "similar" but definitely not the same as other references the cartoon Nightsisters, including Talzin, would need totally new costume standards? Oh, and luckily, it's a three episode story arc so there's even three references for most of them right off the bat!

Talsain-TCW.jpg

fcswinsidercoverCrop.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I think my first big hurdle is going to be trying to figure out the right fabric.

The main fabric is similar enough to the what the others wear I want to say it has some stretch to it (mostly because I don't know how the other girls in my garrison can make them otherwise) but a regular cotton knit feels like almost too wide of a weave. the head dress looks like a crinkled satin, but the main stuff is definitely matte but very smooth looking.

Any ideas or theories out there?

NightSisterSpread1.jpg

It seems to me that there are two distinct types of fabric being used in each outfit... one that has a nice drape and stretch, and one that has considerably more body and stiffness to it.

For example, take a look at the girl on the far left. The fabric around her head, shoulders, and hips seems quite stiff. The fabric around her neck, torso, and the wraps has a soft drape and the ability to wrap without sagging... which definitely requires stretch. Most of them seem to have a combintation of those two types of fabric. It seems like there are two ways to recreate that, aside from getting lucky enough to find two kinds of fabric in the right colors: either take two kinds of fabric and dye them to match, or start with a stretchy fabric, and use interfacing to make it stiff in some areas.

Pam :-)

P.S. I'm having trouble looking at Ventress without thinking, "Is she wearing lederhosen?" Those two on the right, beside her, seem to be feeling insecure... perhaps because they're the only ones wearing lace?

Guest Anonymous

The biggest thing that bothers me about Ventress' oufit? That's not shorts she's wearing like the cut of all the other nightsisters, no hers is just a skirt that is verrrry short.

My local people chimed in and think that the Talzin fabric might be a microsuede type material.

SWCIIISu021.jpg

It has been a long tyme since there was a Night Sister based on this TPM concept sketch in the Legion;

bts_bg.jpg

I like when folk choose non-popular characters to costume as. It takes a certain level of dedication that often translates to a more personal creation. This is not a rule, and the result does not always match up with the passion. But when all does line up, you face not only a fine costume, but a believable character.

I look forward to seeing these new versions of the Dathomirians researched and brought to life.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Daritha

Although I don't like the way they're going with Ventress - she was never involved with the Night Sisters - I'm looking forward to the storyline as well as the new costumes.

I dig Ventress' new outfit. It suits her very well.

all i see when i look at the mother costume is you will need a fine wire frame for the standing up sections.

For a good matt stretch fabric stretch moleskin is good ( so many fabrics are called this,it gets confusing!) or a fine milliskin.

I dont think those other sisters are wearing lace, i think its a printed fabric. If it lace..what the hell were the designers thinking! (Another reason ive not watched this wretched cartoon...the costume design)

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to be experimenting with different gauges of wire for the two standing straight up. They move constantly during the show so I want them to be able to bounce. The shoulder ones are actually much more sturdy looking so I'm likely going to do a craftfoam base with wire up the center and cover it with the fabric. I did this recently with a Halloween costume for shoulder pauldrons and it worked very well.

I'm going to look for some fabric when I'm home for the holidays and maybe some moleskin will catch my eye :) I have a feeling like I'll be hunting for the perfect fabric for a little while, but I can only hope I'll find it first trip!