• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Maris Brood Standards Discussion

Twi'lek Pam

Okay. So, there are many varied references for Maris, but we've been told that this is the definitive version to use for 501st purposes, so the standards will be based primarily on this image. (With the occasional reference to other supporting images to help out when the details aren't clear.)

mb501reqdifinitive.jpg

I'd like to start throwing the descriptions together... please feel free to help out with the wording as needed.

Costume Components:

Hair: The long black hair or wig is braided into cornrows that run horizontally from the front of the head to the back. Some of the braids are wrapped around the neck, while four of them are looped so that they hang down over the costumer's back.

Horns: Seven red Zabrac horns are visible on the forehead and at the top of the head. In the center, there is one horn just in front of the hairline, one horn at the center top of the head, and a third horn is located midway between them. On the left and right sides there is one horn that is just in front of the hairline, and one horn that is located near the top of the head. The horns appear to be growing from the skull, and do not give the impression that they are sitting on top of the hair.

Makeup: Pale makeup and smudges of stage dirt are used to give the impression of a pale character who lives in a dirty environment. The eyes are heavily painted with black or dark gray eyeliner and eyeshadow. A heavy line of red-orange is painted across the bottom of each eye. The lipstick is a dark gray color.

Top: The top is made from a weathered, dark brown leather or fabric. It is comprised of a narrow band that wraps tightly around the chest. A tight-fitting piece of the same material goes around each shoulder, connecting to the band under each arm. These shoulder straps are wide at the tops of the shoulders, and then become narrow as they reach the armpits. A strip of wide, flat braided material goes across the chest. The braided strip may be the same color as the rest of the top, or it may have a red tint. It connects to the main band on each side, just under the arms.

Wrist Wraps: Both wrists are wrapped with strips of dark brown leather or material that create an X pattern on the backs of the wrists.

Dirtied Hands and Torso: The fingers are tinted with the same red-orange color that is seen under the eyes. The torso and arms are smudged with applications of makeup or stage dirt to give a dirty, weathered appearance to the skin. The hands and forearms are covered with spattered makeup, stage blood, or stage dirt.

Layered Belt: The outermost belt is worn at an angle, with the left side worn high, and the right side worn low on the hip. This belt is composed of two layers. The back layer is made of very dark brown leather or vinyl which is approximately 6 to 8 centimeters wide. The narrow front layer is made of a lighter, glossy leather or vinyl which is approximately 1.5 cm wide. There are no visible rivets or studs holding the two belts together. The belt closes on the right side, and both ends of the wide layer hang down, creating a pair of sashes that reach the right knee.

Braided Belt: The inner belt is made of brown leather strips that have a red tint. The belt is a flat braided style, and it is worn at a slight angle under the layered belt.

Mock-Chap Style Pants: The form-fitting pants are made with a mock chap design. The inner "pant" section is made with a dark brown matte material. The waistband and "chap" section is made with a dark brown glossy material. The pants are worn tucked into the top of the boots.

Thigh Strap: A strip of braided leather is worn snug around the right thigh. This strip is made from the same reddish brown leather that was used for the braided belt.

Shin Guards:

Boots: The knee high boots are made of dark brown leather. They have low heels, and fit tightly against the legs.

Costume Accessories:

Contacts: A pair of Sith style contacts may be worn.

Guard Shoto Lightsabers: The pair of tonfa style lightsabers are made with silver and black materials. If bladed, the blades are red and are somewhat shorter than a standard lightsaber blade. Thin strips of dark brown or black leather are wrapped around the base end of the sabers.

Guest Anonymous

Pam,

with regards to the hair....

There are two thick braids that wrap around the neck, and four thinner braids that loop/hang/drape down around the back/body.

Horns.....

points of horns should point or curl back in the same direction.

Wrist wraps....

When I zoomed in on the photo sent to me by Thomas, they did not appear to be leather, but had a sheen to it like they were more like metal than leather. Dark Copper color with black overtone. I used copper sculpty clay and painted a black overcoat on mine.

There are three strips that wrap around the wrist. They are set approx 1/2 inch apart near the hand and 1 1/2 inch apart toward the forearm side. The 1/2" space section has a V design in it (v pointing away from the hand), and the 1 1/2" space section has an X design in it (wider toward the forearm side). The outer edges of the V & X all match.

Braided leg/thigh strap....

None of the photos show this leg wrap on the back/side to see if it is actually connected to the braided belt. One photo I had found had a leather section wrapped around the leg strap up to the braided belt which would seem to be a place where the tonfa sabers would hang when not in use, but nothing shows it being done that way. If Thomas would allow a braided connecting strap from the leg strap to the belt, it would help hold the leg strap in place there on the leg. If there is one, it may also be covered by the sash hanging down on that side.

Top....

The shoulder straps have a black (darker tone) stripe down the center of it.

Makeup...

I used a black lipstick which tends to dull down to the dark gray color.

Boots/Shin guards....

The boots in the photo actually have a design or two tone look on the front ankle area. Boots and or shin guards also have 3-4 buckle straps on the side. Mine are on my boots. The shin guards are straight across the top, sides, & bottom, but has a slight curve to match the shape of the leg . Slightly wider across the top than at the ankle. The straps may be on the shin guards to hold them on. But it also uses dark brown 1/4" leather strapping that criss crosses around the leg to hold the shin guards in place. I made an ankle guard to simulate the two tone look which also runs down the outer and inner ankle/arch area. If you look closely on the photo (I zoomed way in on mine) you can see where it comes down as if it goes under the inner heel to hold it in place.

If you want, I can send you all the photos I have that I made which separated out the details from the main photo here that Thomas had sent me.

If I think of anything else that I did when researching or making mine, I will post it here.

Karen Katich