• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Visas Marr costume

Starbuck

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, couple of things. Your veil is a little long, and your belt is too red. Another thing, it would have been easier for you to do the painting before you constructed the costume, you'll have to be super cautious now that you've put it all together. Remember, you still need to put the pinwheels on the black dress. For the belt, I had the same problem, what I did was set up a batch of navy blue dye and dyed my belt in a 3 min dye bath, yes that's right only 3 mins, any longer and it would have been too dark. The blue tones down the orangy tones in the red. I did the boiling water method on the stove, so I could control the dye better. When you take your pics next try to scrunch the belt up a bit and the way you have it now it looks a tad too wide, a tad too low on your hip and you have it dipping down on the wrong side. Flip it around and shorten the length a bit, tone the orange tones down and you should be fine.

remember that this is you goal, and your almost there

normal_VisasConcept.jpg

I hope this helps with the fine tuning of this costume

^_^ Katie

Guest Anonymous

I used the paint pens you get from walmart for my inner dress and veil and they turned out pretty good.

Your pen looks good, it just needs to be gold :)

You might want to check how well the pen paint washes, as ive used pen paint before for other projects and it can smudge/bleed if it gets wet (wether by washing mashine, rain or yes, sweat lol)

the other issue that might come about with pen paint is the lack of texture to it. It will be a flat design, rather than raised as the artwork/game render's suggest

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take them into account :D . As far as the colour is concerned, maybe the flash of the camera is distorting the real colour because the "K" of the word is painting with the colour Aysel recommended me :) (I've already bought it but I'm afraid my painting is not good enough for the dresses) and it doesn´t look as gold as in her photo :?:?

Greetings

huh, it could be the flash, try putting it in natural light and see how it photographs then, but it should have worked so it could possibly be your flash

Guest Anonymous

Are you going to hand paint the whole dress? WOW! The pattern looks really good, but it would be nice to see something to compare it to size wise.

Hi,

Don't forget that the dress pattern is somewhat faint and doesn't have hard lines. It has wide, fuzzy edged lines, rather than lines with a thin, silver Sharpie look to them. You can somewhat tone down a too-sharp or too-bright pattern with a light coat of black vinyl paint when the design is finished, but it's easier to create the needed look at the beginning with toned down gray paint and soft lines, rather than having to make a lot of adjustments later on!

VisasFrontBack.jpg

115_03.jpg

Pam :-)

lookin' good there, sleeve length is good, the lay of the veil is pretty much as good as it gets and like I posted before your pattern looks really good, now it's just your outer dress, boots, gloves and belt and your all set. I look forward to your next update

^_^ Katie

the grey is a better color, but the edges are still too hard. What most of use do is make a stencil and spray it on the fabric, and I really recommend doing that way, it's faster and the edges turn out nice and soft. You end up moving the stencil only a couple of times per pattern piece, and you get the painting done really quick.

visaspinwheel2.th.jpg

feel free to use this if you decide to do the stencil

SDC11023.jpg

this is the stencil I made

My husband has done me a stencil with acetate (don't know if it is said like this) the problem here is finding a spray for fabric, that's why I wanted to do the painting circle by circle. Maybe you've said it before but what is the spray you have used? It's specific for fabric? As I've said, here there is not anything like this :(

Greetings

If you have a stencil but cannot find a good spray paint, you could apply the gray paint with a stiff paint brush, and make the edges soft that way. A dry-brush stencil technique should work well...

http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/howto_ ... hp?id=1040

http://www.stencilcafe.com/stencil_techniques.php

If you are painting on vinyl (fake leather) fabric, make sure to use a paint that sticks well to vinyl. Some kinds of paint will scratch off over time, destroying your pattern! I sprayed my dress with SEM Vinyl paint in Presidio Gray. That paint is made for painting the vinyl in car seats, so it sticks VERY well to the vinyl! If your black dress is plain fabric, then make sure to use a fabric paint.

Pam :-)

Finally I'm approved!! :D :D :D I had to tone down the outer dress and make another belt (first one was too red)

visasfrente.jpg

Detail of the wheel:

visasdetalle.jpg

Thanks for the help ypu gave me!!! :D

Guest Aysel

Congratulations! Yes the improvements you made have helped this costume come together beautifully.

^_^ Katie

Now that I have Visas Marr approved, I would like to make the KOTOR Visas. The colour of the fabric in both costumes is different but I want to know if the dark red fabric I used for the belt suits for the inner dress and the veil in Kotor Visas.

Greetings