• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New starkiller in TIE Factory armor in the works

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After a few months of contemplating I've finally decided to get to work on my Starkiller costume. I figured my first order of business should be to get an accurate saber so I spent a few weeks comparing different hilts offered by different companies and decided on one listed on eBay (I understand eBay can be really sketchy for things like this but I took a chance and I think it worked out well). I'll post a picture of it from my computer later to see what anyone thinks and if there is anything wrong with it that I haven't noticed. I also went to Joanne Fabrics last night to go shopping for fabric for the tunics and loin cloth. I think the colors match up pretty well and after some weathering they should be good to go. I might need a little help with the weathering process if someone wouldn't mind giving me some pointers on that, I've never tried to weather fabric and I have no idea where to start with that. Boots are gonna be another issue for me, but I read in another post that someone suggests RotS Anakin boots so I might just end up getting a pair of those and calling it a day. My other thought was to get a pair of dark brown equestrian boots, I know that they'll come up too high but I was thinking I could cut off a bit of them and use what I've cut to make the panel across the top of the boots. If anyone has any thoughts on that I would really like whatever input you could offer. I'm still trying to think of how I'd like to do the shoulder armor and I have a few ideas that I'm playing with at the moment. Hopefully I'll make a decision on that before the week is out so I can get cracking on that. All that and a trip to Tandy Leather Factory in Eas Hartford should have me most of the way there I think. Please if you see any holes in my plan, have any ideas that would make things easier, general advice on the costume, anything whatsoever, comment away. I love constructive criticism and I'd really like to get approved first time around. Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited to add images of the lightsaber hilt.

Guest Anonymous

Please for the love of all that is good and pure tell me you did not buy that sk hilt from tatoosby5?

If you did be prepared for it to fall apart.

Guest Anonymous

I won't tell you then :-( as far as looks were concerned I thought this was closest to the one used in the game. I checked feedback and whatnot and he seemed reputable, I guess not though. It is indeed his yeah. I guess when it does start to head south I'll have to look into a replacement but I really hope that doesn't happen for a while cause I really can't afford another hilt right now especially since I still need boots for this costume.

Guest Anonymous

Well hes got a good ebay rep but in the lightsaber world hehe, shouldn't have to tell you how bad it is.

But his hits they are not held together very well, he uses glue and press fitment, couple folks over at fx-sabers basically had to run a thin tube through the hilt for a solid base and drill some set screws to hold it together agense the centeral tube..

But if its just a costume piece for the belt you shouldn't have a problem really just be careful with it. If you plan on adding electronics I would advise asking one of the fx-sabers.com guild members to do some reinforcement.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, I love the way the hilt looks, as far as I've been able to tell it's a great interpretation of what's seen on screen. I suppose if it does have problems down the road with construction issues I'll have to look into fx-sabers about having it reinforced, but I don't plan on dueling with it, I have other hilts for that, the ones that I've picked up for face-characters are more than likely going to be display pieces hanging from a belt more often than not, and maybe occasionally have a blade in them. All-in-all though I do like the overall look of this hilt a lot. I'm currently trying to work out the pattern for the tunic with old sheets before I use any of the fabric that I've bought. I bought a pattern at Joanne Fabrics for a Jedi costume in hopes that I could work that out easily but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to tweak the pattern. The drop sleeves come down too far over my shoulders, the sleeves are much too wide, the neck doesn't cut across at a sharp enough angle, just to name a few problems. I was thinking that I might have an easier time altering a pattern for a flannel shirt, since the sleeves should be fine on that. It should just be a matter of changing the neck on that pattern and problem solved for the whole tunic...hopefully. As far as pants are concerned, I picked up a pattern for scrubs and figure that should work just fine, I'll use the same fabric as the tunic. When I get the tunic done I'll post pictures of that to see what should be fixed on it. I'm not exactly Susie Home-maker when it comes to stuff like this so there will definitely be things that need fixing. Last thing before I go to bed...does anyone have a picture of what the shoulder armor should look like while laying flat? I was thinking of going with the same method used by Azza and I'm slightly inept when it comes to drawing things out like that, I've already wasted a few trees worth of poster board and I was hoping someone could help me spare a small forest by uploading a picture for me to check out. Thanks everyone - Ed

P.S. I can be extremely long winded sometimes so if I start to drone on and on in my posts just say something and I'll start trying to cut back. I just don't want to leave anything out while I'm explaining what's going on.