• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Need Basic Starkiller Help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys! I'm new here, and I had a few questions about the Starkiller "TIE Factory" costume! Firstly, I understand that Starkiller is wearing a gi, but where could I get one that looks accurate to his? Secondly, what kind of boots should I use for the lower legs? I know they will be mostly covered by straps, but I'm still at a loss. Finally, what kind of fabric are the pants? Thank you all for your help, and I apologize for so many questions!

Guest Daritha

Okay, here we go:

The gi: The most accurate way would be: Sew a gi that matches. My way, however, was to cut a long-sleeved shirt into the right shape, extend it at the right points and convert it into a gi.

The boots: I discovered that the brown leather boots Anakin wears in Episode III are really accurate. They even have these shin guards that are peeking through at Starkiller's boots.

Pants fabric: I used sweatpants I wore for years - so they got the right shape and "worn out" look. I recommend a lighter fabric for the pants and also the gi. Too heavy fabric (like jeans material) isn't any good. It tears you down and the fabric don't fall very flattering.

If you have additional questions: Just ask. And I'm curious to see your Starkiller taking shape. :)

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, Daritha! That's a big help! Sadly, I still have one more questions: What should I make the display (Order 67: Kill Kota etc.) out of? I have resolved to make the shoulders out of what Redback used for his, but should I use the same material there?

Also, while I am flattered by your interest Daritha, I am still in the planning stages. It will be quite some time before I have anything to show for my work.

Thank you!

Guest Daritha

I used the same material for the clavicle armor as well as for the gauntlet. You find a picture of the gauntlet display in the gallery. I used the pic itself, adjusted it to the right size and used it for the gauntlet.

I'm patient, I can wait ... and then I strike! >:-)

Guest Anonymous

Another question! What belts are good for Starkiller's midsection? Or how can I modify existing belts to get them to meet the 501st requirements.

Guest Daritha

I get myself some cheap belts (from Walmart or so) and cut the in the right size, made the buckles and then glued the leather fabric. I sewed the wide diagonal belt with this fabric and then used a hot-adhesive glue to glue the fabric on the belts. Then I attached the buckles etc. and voila. :)