• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Baylon Skoll and Shin Hati costume discussion thread

Trachta

Hello everyone!  I wanted to get started on these costumes ASAP and study/research them thoroughly by the time August comes around.  I'm ecstatic that we have non-Sith following dark siders!  My collected Reference images so far:

Shin Hati:

iPCCVnZ.jpg srZYy9Y.jpg tAXGbmu.jpg

zrp9V0g.png

CasAsPM.jpg

HfDtRIP.png

MgdJRXr.png

2t4JeWl.png

68QlQd1.png

ok7xphL.png

GpAYs6m.png

ENEMBLo.png

5TUCBT2.png

dCzM84B.png

nvku8ik.png

HtRt6Ge.jpg

Baylon Skoll:

nT8PIh9.png

pl38fno.png

OTeKpIA.png

XZwGHqX.png

jVr8AHf.png

DL1nA8H.png

WTCq33U.png

Observations part1:

Both Baylon and Shin have cloaks, doublets, armor, and the whole dark Jedi aesthetic with both similarities and differences.  

Cloaks:

Shin has a greyish olive or very dark brown (taupe?) cloak depending on the lighting she is seen in.  It is a crinkle-style fabric with at least 2 plies or more in the hood but the cape portion is sheer enough for light to be seen behind it.  

gK8oOEB.png

A seam can also be seen right under her armpit on the cape.  This leads me to believe her cloak at least has 3 panels for the cape portion.  I believe the hood is in 2 pieces based on this image showing a seam going down the center.  It is very easy to miss.

AFcnN6l.jpg

The cape also gathers in the shoulder area (also note the seam line of a cape panel I totally just noticed now)

Q5fznpf.png

It's very possible that the gather could be a sewn-in elastic chord that simply pulls the cape a bit as it kind of disappears as she moves forward and swings her lightsaber.

Take note also that she has what looks like to be some kind of opera straps or something underneath her cloak on top of the doublet.  It's visible in this image but it is not there when she is missing the cloak during the Starfighter scene in the Ahsoka Trailer.

3i1umW5.png

srZYy9Y.jpg

She also has these Kylo ren type sleeves though I recall the costume designer mentioning that they preferred to purchase already pleated fabrics than make them.  Possibly accordion style which would explain the strange double seam on her arms to keep the pleats in place.

C0T3VyK.jpg

aIJ9kqG.jpg

The pleats make up just about less than half of the sleeves also:

E2aJqz0.png

• Like 1

following, i also have seen a tiny bit of something i shouldnt have and while i advise taken this with a grain of salt, i believe baylon's tunic is a reverse gambeson, a crude drawing of what ive observed 

baylon 1.jpg

i also observed that his torso piece is a mix of various fabrics ( lucasfilm is going to make us work for this one haha) i have a member here in washington who looks just like baylon and he very much wants to build it so im helping do reserach and advising him on what he can do. thank you for starting this thread

Hi

Been waiting for approval for a while.

Im based in UK and have been resesrching this since it was released at SWCE23.

First off, I have had confirmation that Baylan costume is all suede.

Ive started making mock ups to test stitching patterns, my main plan is to make a jacket from suedette to get the sewing right, and eventually commit to real suede.

I have the armour pieces printed, prepped sanded and painted with metallic, and ive found a matt dark grey spray paint in UK from Montana called Wolf Grey.

Il drop in pics here of my progress

• Like 1

Hi

Been waiting for approval for a while.

Im based in UK and have been resesrching this since it was released at SWCE23.

First off, I have had confirmation that Baylan costume is all suede.

Ive started making mock ups to test stitching patterns, my main plan is to make a jacket from suedette to get the sewing right, and eventually commit to real suede.

I have the armour pieces printed, prepped sanded and painted with metallic, and ive found a matt dark grey spray paint in UK from Montana called Wolf Grey.

Il drop in pics here of my progress

Ok, well, cant upload pictures from my phone, so not worth me carrying on.

It is my observation that every costume group has a different forum process and i just lose the will to learn something else again.

Apologies but im just not into spending hours online sorting things out, il just build it and submit somewhere else.

Good luck all

• Sad 1

Yeh, thanks, im not new to forums, have kits with Mercs, Saber Guild, Dark Empire etc

Imgur I have, at some point I may post up, but this was suggested from my Baylan FB page to help me get answers to some questions but im not sure that is the case at present.

I have a wip with TDE, my own FB page cataloging my build progress, as well as posting on thd RPF, so this is just another drain on my time at present, and I have 2 other builds going on, so if this isnt easy, then its not getting done, sorry.

I know that may seem like a bad attitude, I get it, im an armourer also for Protectors, so build wips I get, but im  not sure this will help at all.

Thanks for your response, and maybe as things get done I may have more time ro work this out.

• Like 1

No it’s totally understandable I was actually the member who recommended you check the page out. We discuss Baylon and shin a lot and thought there might be some helpful information with your build :) but seeing your page and work ( excellent job btw) it looks like you might be ahead of us. 

Yeh, thanks, and im happy to share, all I find out, and build is to help others in future.

Just not willing to add to my workload at present.

Ive completed my second model of rhe main vest structure in suedette, so worjed out construction method and sewing method, and been working on the painting of the armour pieces.

Looking to start on the undershirt this week, finer detsil on the gsuntlets as some of the printed buttons are not correct on my print.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100092159493264

• Like 1

Hello there, my husband is also in love with the costume of Baylan Skoll.

He just finished the CRL as model and got approved for Jayhold Beehaz from „Andor“, so we can move to the next new CRL. ;-).

Is anyone already writing on the CRL and will it be Flagship eclipse? I’m happy to help, would be the third development after Jayhold and Fennec Shand for me.

• Like 1

I believe that there will be an embargo on any CRL until the series has finished.

I am building the costume from my own observations, guidance from lovely people who are also building, so we have time to create a 'living' CRL by building the costune to screen accuracy.

I have a build thread on FB which the link is above where I am sharing my ideas.

• Like 1

Ok I never heard of that embargo. The „Andor“ character CRLs started right after seeing them the first time on screen.

Let’s see and hope we get more good shots of Baylan within the next episodes. 

I’m following you now on FB, great progress so far. 

My plan is to create Morgan Elsbeth as well, the FB build group already figured out the materials etc. 

Great, more people involved the better. I know of at least one other costume club that that is not entertaining crls until after the end of the series,I have threads in a number of places but dont have time to update them individualy, as they all want it done differently.

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

There is no embargo on making a costume - if you can provide the reference pictures of the costume from all sides incl. details and such, it should be good to go.  

You can also message our DL @DarthValkyria and ask on how to ;-) 

• Like 2

UPDATED October 25 2023

I am new to the detachment. I have been researching the Baylan costume and have written up a draft version of the CRL which I've attached here for discussion. I am looking forward to starting this build. Still sourcing some materials.

Thanks.

—-

Baylan Skoll CRL in Progress (by Doug Cottrell)

Appearance

The hair is grey in color, cut short and worn pushed over to the right without a definite part.

The beard is full, grey-white in color with a slightly auburn moustache. Beard is neatly kept.

Beard and hair can be achieved with the individual's own hair, dyes, make-up, or high quality appliance.

Eyes are blue.

Makeup or appliances may be used to create the appearance of a middle-aged, male-presenting adult.

No visible tattoos, piercings or accessories.

Cloak

The cloak is made of black wool (or wool equivalent), ankle-length with hood.

The hood is lined in black satin lining.

The hood has black leather-like trim on the front edge which overlaps outer and inner layers by approximately two inches.

The front edges of the cloak feature decorative twisted cord trim (2 mm) with barrel knots at irregular intervals. The cord hides the stitching where the front edge has been hemmed. The cord is black.

The cloak closes with a black hook and eye at the neck opening.

The cloak is constructed in five panels.

The bottom edge of the cloak is tattered and weathered.

Under Tunic (aka Gambeson)

The under tunic is made from black cotton (or similar).

The under tunic has a high collar that closes in centre back with concealed hooks and eyes.

The under tunic has sleeves with horizontal and vertical quilted lines 3/4 inch apart, forming a square pattern. The quilting ends at the seams and covers the exposed area between shoulder armour and gauntlet armour.

The sleeves are constructed in two pieces with a centre back seam and an outer seam.

There is a small loop at the armpit to hold the shoulder strap in place.

Outer Vest (aka Cuirass)

The outer vest is made from an indigo or black suede (or suede equivalent) and is weathered.

The outer vest is constructed such that it has six chevrons on the front and back, and additional panels that radiate from neck to shoulder.

The outer vest closes in the back with a zipper that is hidden by the decorative trim and clasp details.

There are eight sets of silver clasps in a fleur-de-lis pattern attached to the vest with a leather (or leather-like) reinforcement patch in a pentagon shape that points outwards from the centre edge.

There is decorative twisted cord trim (3-4 mm) at neck opening, arm holes, and along edges of the chevrons and stripes. There is no cord on the shoulder seam or side seam.

There are approximately 10-15 pieces of translucent green stones woven into the decorative cord at various places on the front and back of the vest. These match the stones on the buckle and ring (see below).

The outer vest extends 2-3” below the bottom of the belt.

Inner Tabards

The inner tabards are made from an indigo or black suede (or suede equivalent) and are weathered.

The inner tabards extend from waist to shin, 2” longer than the outer tabards.

The inner tabards do not meet in front, but have a one inch gap between them at the bottom hem of the obi sash, and angle outwards. The tabards may be attached to the back of the obi sash (with no visible connection).

The inner tabards are slightly wider than the outer tabards.

The inner tabards are hemmed on sides and bottom edges.

Skirt (aka Kama)

The skirt is made fabric having the appearance of black raw silk.

The skirt is quite full, gathered along the upper edge.

The skirt is shin-length, slightly longer than the outer tabards.

The front edges of the skirt end at the front centre and are overlapped by the tabards.

The hem is tattered with surface weathering.

There is a side slit which extends to the height of the obi sash.

Outer Tabards

The outer tabards are made from a fabric having the appearance of black raw silk. They are hemmed. There is some surface weathering.

The outer tabards extend from waist to shin (2” shorter than the hem of the inner tabards).

The outer tabards do not meet in front, but have a one inch gap between them at the bottom hem of the obi sash, and angle outwards. The tabards do not cover the entire front of the wearer but end forward of the hip.

The outer tabards have decorative twisted cord trim along the front edges. The cord features barrel knots at irregular intervals.

The outer tabards may attach to the inner tabards.

Obi

The obi is made from a black non-textured leather or lealther-like material and extends approximately one inch above and below the belts.

It is closed in the back with hidden velcro or snaps.

The obi is padded such that it does not collapse on itself nor fold over the belts.

The obi covers the upper edges of the tabards and kama.

Belts

The belts are made from two-inch brown leather (or leather equivalent), worn with one resting above the other without any overlap.

The two belts close in the back and have wide leather rectangular keepers to hide the closure.

The lower belt has a second vertical belt attached on the left side in front of the hip, held with a square leather keeper.

The upper belt has a recessed lip one eighth of an inch from the top and bottom.

The lower belt has incised lines one eighth of an inch from the top and bottom.

The upper belt has a textured decorative metallic-looking buckle approximately two inches by three inches. The buckle is D-shaped with the rounded edge worn on the left. There is a translucent green stone attached to the front, held on with crossed and twisted wire. The stone has the appearance of Moldavite crystal.

The lower belt has a lightsaber hook on the right side. The lightsaber hook is silver, metal, and held to the backside of the belt with no visible connection. The lightsaber hook is mounted slightly forward of the wearer's left hip.

The vertical belt piece has an angled lower edge which extends to mid thigh.

The two belts are connected by keepers on the right hip area.

Trousers

The trousers are made from a black cotton (or equivalent) with no visible pockets or decorative elements and are fitted such that they do not blouse over the boot toppers.

Shoulder Armor

The shoulder armor is medium turquoise-gray with a hammered metal look, featuring scratches, holes and similar damage.

The shoulder armor is an overlapping two-piece design featuring raised ridges to match screen references.

The lower piece has a brown leather strap around the bicep.

The upper shoulder armor has no visible methods of attachment.

Gauntlets

The gauntlets are a medium turqouise-gray with a hammered metal look with scratches and surface damage.

The gauntlets have a clamshell closure with no visible means of attachment.

The gauntlets have four recessed stripes towards the rear of the upper half.

The gauntlets have a square recessed panel towards the wrist with two larger and four small illuminated buttons.
The gauntlets have an illuminated view screen displaying Aurebesh characters: (right) LUKE LEIA HAN CHEWIE R2D2 C3PO BEN (left) TRGT DAT.

Hand plates

The hand plates are a medium turquoise-gray with a hammered metal look with scratches and surface damage.

The hand plates feature two raised ridges.

The hand plates connect to the backs of the gloves with no visible means of connection.

Boots

The boots are made of dark brown or black leather (or leather-like material) with no shine and are lace-less.

There is no noticeable zipper or adornments.

The boots have a square toe and slight heel.

The boots are covered with boot toppers

Boot Toppers (aka Greaves)

The boot toppers are made of black suede and are heavily weathered.

The boot toppers have a 2-piece construction (front and back), held together with three leather straps that close on the outer seams.

Each boot topper has an angled pattern of four chevrons. There is a line of top stitching just in from the edge of each chevron.

The boot toppers are curved at the bottom and cover the heel of the boot as well as the shaft, extending to upper calf of the wearer.

The leather straps have two metal D-rings. These appear to be decorative, as the straps appear to velcro back onto themselves.

Gloves

The gloves are made of non-textured black leather (or leather-like material) and are long enough to tuck into the gauntlets.

There is a thumb gusset.

The finger portion of the glove should be constructed in a typical glove fashion and contain three fourchettes-one between each set of fingers.

Ring

The ring has the appearance of metal, with surface damage and a rectangular translucent green stone to match the stone on the belt buckle.

It is worn on gloved right index finger.

Lightsaber

The lightsaber hilt is metallic in appearance with a black plastic grip, cross-guard and emitter, and dark grey pommel, to match the prop built by Josh Roth.

It has black surface weathering all over and rust on the pommel end.

There are decorative scored lines on the metal portion of the hilt.

The emitter end flares out with four fins and has a red button and gold button on a black panel.

There are five small gold buttons below the cross-guard.

The pommel features a D-ring.

The pommel is heavily distressed with pit marks.

The pommel has four flat sides.

The blade is red-orange in color.

Edited by axe woves north
update

On 9/7/2023 at 10:21 PM, axe woves north said:

I am new to the detachment. I have been researching the Baylan costume and have written up a draft version of the CRL which I've attached here for discussion. I am looking forward to starting this build. Still sourcing some materials.

Thanks.

—-

Appearance

The hair is grey in color, cut short and worn pushed over to the right without a definite part.

The beard is full, grey-white in color with a slightly auburn moustache. Beard is neatly kept.

Beard and hair can be achieved with the individual's own hair or high quality appliance.

Eyes are blue.

Makeup or appliances may be used to create the appearance of a middle-aged, male-presenting adult.

No visible tattoos, piercings or accessories.

Cloak

The cloak is made of black wool (or wool equivalent), ankle-length with hood and tattered/weathered hem.

The hood is fully lined in black leather (or leather equivalent) and has the same leather trim on the front edge. The leather has a slight texture.

The front edges of the cloak feature decorative braided leather cord trim with knots at random intervals, sewn approximately 3/4” from edge. The cord is black and white.

The cloak closes with a black hook and eye at the neck opening.

Cloak is constructed in five panels.

Under Tunic (aka Gambeson)

The under tunic is made from black cotton spandex (or similar) with black cotton sleeves.

The under tunic has a high collar that closes in centre back with snaps or similar hidden connectors.

The under tunic has sleeves with horizontal quilted lines one inch apart.

There may be a short sleeve on top of the long sleeve.

Outer Vest (aka Cuirass)

The outer vest is made from an indigo or black suede (or suede equivalent) and is weathered/water damaged.

The outer vest is made from pieces of suede with an angular construction to form six chevrons on front and back, and three radiating stripes from neck to shoulder.

The outer vest closes in the back with six sets of clasps.

Each clasp is attached to the vest with a leather reinforcement patch in a pentagon shape that points outwards.

There is decorative twisted black and white cotton cord trim at neck opening, arm holes, and along edges of the chevrons and stripes. There is no cord on the shoulder seam.

The outer vest ends 2-3” below the bottom of the belt.

Inner Tabards

The inner tabards are made from an indigo or black suede (or suede equivalent) and are weathered.

The inner tabards extend from waist to shin.

The inner tabards do not meet in front, but have a one inch gap between them at the bottom hem of the obi sash, and angle outwards. The tabards may be attached to the back of the obi sash (with no visible connection).

The inner tabards extend to the hip or side seam area.

The inner tabards may be attached to the back of the obi sash (with no visible connection).

Kama

The kama is made from a black wool (or wool equivalent) and is quite full, gathered along the upper edge.

The kama is shin-length, roughly the same as the inner tabards.

The front edges of the kama end at the back edges of the inner tabards.

The hem is tattered with weathering.

Outer Tabards

The outer tabards are made from an indigo or black suede (or suede equivalent) and are weathered.

The outer tabards extend from waist to shin (2” shorter than the hem of the inner tabards).

The outer tabards do not meet in front, but have a one inch gap between them at the bottom hem of the obi sash, and angle outwards. The tabards do not cover the entire front of the wearer but end forward of the hip.

The outer tabards have decorative twisted cord trim along the front centre edges.

The outer tabards may attach to the inner tabards.

Obi

The obi is made from a black cotton (or similar fabric) and extends approximately one inch above and below the belts.

It is closed in the back with hidden velcro or snaps.

The obi is padded or made from a stiff fabric such that it does not collapse on itself nor fold over the belts.

The obi covers the upper edges of the tabards and kama.

Belts

The belts are made from two-inch brown leather (or leather equivalent), worn with one resting above the other without any overlap.

The two belts close in the back and have wide leather rectangular keepers to hide the closure.

The lower belt has a second vertical belt attached on the left side in front of the hip, held with a square leather keeper.

The upper belt has a recessed lip one eighth of an inch from the top and bottom.

The lower belt has incised lines one eighth of an inch from the top and bottom.

The upper belt has a textured decorative metallic-looking buckle. The buckle is D-shaped with the rounded edge worn on the left. There is a dark blue-black stone attached to the front, held on with crossed and twisted wire.

The lower belt has a lightsaber hook on the right side. The lightsaber hook is silver, metal, and held to the backside of the belt with no visible connection. The lightsaber hook is mounted slightly forward of the wearer's left hip.

The vertical belt piece has an angled lower edge which extends to mid thigh.

Trousers

The trousers are made from a black cotton (or equivalent) with no visible pockets or decorative elements and are fitted such that they do not blouse over the boot toppers.

Shoulder Armor

The shoulder armor is medium blue-grey with a hammered metal look, featuring scratches, holes and similar damage.

The shoulder armour is an overlapping two-piece design featuring raised ridges to match screen references.

The lower piece has a brown leather strap around the bicep.

The upper shoulder armor has no visible methods of attachment.

Left Gauntlet

The left gauntlet is a medium blue-grey with a hammered metal look with scratches and surface damage.

The left gauntlet has a clamshell closure with no visible means of attachment.

The left gauntlet has four recessed stripes towards the rear of the upper half.

The left gauntlet has a square recessed panel towards the wrist with five raised buttons and a light-up view screen. Two of the buttons have lights; one amber and one white.

Right Gauntlet

The right gauntlet is a medium blue-grey with a hammered metal look with scratches and surface damage.

The right gauntlet has a clamshell closure with no visible means of attachment.

The right gauntlet has four recessed stripes towards the rear of the upper half.

The right gauntlet has a square recessed panel towards the wrist with six raised buttons and a light-up view screen. Two of the buttons have lights; one amber and one white.

Hand plates

The hand plates are a medium blue-grey with a hammered metal look with scratches and surface damage.

The hand plates feature two raised ridges.

The hand plates connect to the backs of the gloves with no visible means of connection.

Boots

The boots are made of dark brown leather (or leather-like material) with no shine and are lace-less.

There is no noticeable zipper or adornments.

The boots have a square toe and slight heel.

The boots are covered with boot toppers.

Boot Toppers (aka Greaves)

The boot toppers are made of black or dark grey leather with no surface texture.

The boot toppers have a 2-piece construction (front and back), held together with three leather straps that close on the outer seams.

Each boot topper has an angled pattern of chevrons and is heavily weathered.

The boot toppers are curved at the bottom and cover the heel of the boot as well as the shaft, extending to upper calf of the wearer.

The leather straps have two metal D-rings.

There may be a strap that runs under the sole of the boot to secure the boot topper in place.

Gloves

The gloves are made of non-textured black leather (or leather-like material) and are long enough to tuck into the gauntlets.

There is a thumb gusset.

The finger portion of the glove should be constructed in a typical glove fashion and contain three fourchettes-one between each set of fingers.

There is no apparent decorative top-stitching.

Ring

The ring has the appearance of metal, with surface damage and a rectangular blue-black stone.

It is worn on right index finger on top of the glove.

Lightsaber

The lightsaber hilt is metallic in appearance with a black plastic grip and dark grey pommel, to match the prop built by Josh Roth.

It has black surface weathering all over and rust on the pommel end.

The pommel features a D-ring.

The emitter end flares out with four fins and has a red button.

The blade is red-orange in color.

baylan skoll crl in progress.pdf 42.93 kB · 5 downloads

Do you have pictures of the sleeve pattern? Ive not seen any quilting so can you shsre some pics please?

I dont believe the vest edges are piping, more looks like over sewing with leather cord, by hand

Ring stones are green, and theres 2 of them, same as the belt buckle stone, its green