• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

SilverChuck Darth Revan WIP

SilverChuck

Hello all!

I recently purchased a used wicked armor v1 set from a 501st member that no longer uses it. It needs a little work as there is some wear and tear that needs repaired, and a few things updated for the current CRL.

FB_IMG_1667829281330.jpgFB_IMG_1667829285472.jpgFB_IMG_1667829288519.jpgFB_IMG_1667829291553.jpg 

One of the parts that need repaired is the black side things. 

FB_IMG_1667831902710.jpg

I've got some pretty heavy duty black leather that I've cut out in the approximate shape of the old ones. What would you recommend using to attach these to the armor? I'm planning on some e6000.

20221105_175045.jpg

The other part I know needs replaced is the little wire connectors for the rings on the bottom of the armor. I also plan on putting the little red fabric strip on the bottom.FB_IMG_1667829311880.jpg

I know the clasps on the top of the armor where the hood connects also needs replaced with rings that actually connect to the hood. But is there anything else you guys are aware of that will need replaced or updated?

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't notice that in the CRL.

Do you have any suggestions with how to make them seamless? Or do you think if I modify them to appear seamless that would work? 

Yeah, if you don't mind. I'm not certain what paints will be best. 

I've contacted wicked armor to see if I can just get the unpainted bracers from the v2 set so I don't have to try and modify my current ones. I'm also looking into getting the v2 mask instead of the v1. 

I did get the armor repaired, so its wearable. Just have to update it for the CRL now.IMG_20221226_205129892_processed.jpg

20221226_194057.jpg

I've got an artsaber neopixel that Im planning on using. 

20221229_072246.jpg

So I talked to Rob from wicked armor and he's agreed to sell me some unpainted gauntlets from the v2 set as well as the v2 mask. 

On 11/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, DarthValkyria said:

Yeah modification would be fine, but heads up that you'll most likely need to repaint the entire armor. I can give you some color combos if necessary.

What color combinations would you recommend for painting? Rattle can? Airbrush? 

Draft saved but didn't send. Thanks, Norwegian wifi!

Rattle cans of the antique copper, antique brass, and antique gold. I did a base of the copper, a light middle layer of the brass, and a very light dusting of the gold. I did it against what you're supposed to do and sprayed the next layer when the first was tacky but not wet. This allowed for the next layer to mix into the previous one without sitting on top as a separate later. This technique created the effect of the metal color change present in the game. 

Please note, you need to be very careful spraying the antique copper base. I would allow the black primer to dry completely and do a light wet sand, then let that dry completely again before starting the copper. Once you start the copper part, you have to be very alert of it so as to not create drips as it'll jack up future layers.

• Like 1

I actually followed the link you posted on your WIP page. Lol

I just dry brushed the boots with some metallic silver acrylic paint that I got from a local craft store. I got the leather strips from a local biker jacket store that had a bunch of scraps. 

On 2/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, DarthValkyria said:

Rattle cans of the antique copper, antique brass, and antique gold. I did a base of the copper, a light middle layer of the brass, and a very light dusting of the gold. I did it against what you're supposed to do and sprayed the next layer when the first was tacky but not wet. This allowed for the next layer to mix into the previous one without sitting on top as a separate later. This technique created the effect of the metal color change present in the game. 

If you don't mind me asking what brand paint did you use? I'm messing around with some Rust-Oleum, but I'm not getting satisfactory results. It may just be my technique so any advice is appreciated! 

On 2/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, DarthValkyria said:

I used Rust-Oleum. You can use a scrap of plastic with a black base to practice.

What issues are you having?

Just trying to find a color that I like.

20230221_211539.jpg

I probably just need to play around with the colors until I find something I like.

I'm trying to contact Rob to see if he has replacements for the leather straps that are attached to the rim and sides.  Is there any way to get them? I don't know how to do them.

53 minutes ago, Nes said:

I'm trying to contact Rob to see if he has replacements for the leather straps that are attached to the rim and sides.  Is there any way to get them? I don't know how to do them.

He's pretty busy at the moment (I'm still waiting on the new mask and unpainted bracers that I ordered 7 weeks ago.) If you email him I'm sure he'll eventually reply, it can take a couple days sometimes. 

• Like 1

Have you had any problems with the straps? I had a strap come loose when I put the suit on the first few times and I had to glue it.  If one day at an event a strap comes off and falls off I wouldn’t be able to wear the suit

33 minutes ago, Nes said:

Have you had any problems with the straps? I had a strap come loose when I put the suit on the first few times and I had to glue it.  If one day at an event a strap comes off and falls off I wouldn’t be able to wear the suit

Are you referring to the straps that are connected to the ring in the front? Or the leather pieces that connect the sides? My armor set is the v1 wicked armor set, it was made in 2016 so it has some wear and tear that I am correcting. 

The straps connected to the ring are held in place by some sticky tack for the front part and then just some Velcro that is glued in place. They've come undo a little bit but I fixed them with a little hot glue. 

The leather side pieces I completely replaced. I cut the and sanded off the old pleather stuff and glued the new leather pieces on with some e6000.

• Like 1

I would like to buy spare parts from Rob for the straps that go to the rim and the ones that go on the sides because although I’m sticking them on with the E6000, if one day they fall off, I have no spare parts and I can't go back to events with the 501st