• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Start my Traya costume

Nadja82

A month ago I got approved membership in 501st with my first costume, a Jawa.
Already start to think about my next costume, and thought of doing a Darth Traya.
I am not very good at sew clothes and wonder if anyone has any good tips where I can start? 
maybe even buy the costume and maybe alternate it so it match the CRL.

All tips are very welcome since I am a noob at all this 😊

Hello welcome and congrats to your approval. 

I used a simple tunic pattern that I made mods to so it would follow the CRL regarding the gathering at the shoulders in front and the v cut + the gatherings in the back. I actually split the pattern at the middle to make it easier to get the gatherings in on the back - the belt will hide the line. 

As to the belt, I bought it from another member, but you can make it by yourself, it is not hard, just take 3 strips of leather, join them in the back with a velcro closing and use vertical pieces on the inside to hold the 3 pieces together,  the two silver buttons can be made out of clay or other similar materiale.

The headpiece can be tricky, if I should make one now, I would use a nice thin leather, make it wet and shape it over and over again on a mannequin head to get the shape needed for it, it takes a lot of times and redo with water.  The hair pieces also from the same leather and I used velcro to close them up - red paint to get the pattern on both them and the head piece or glue on a red leather stripe. 

I used lycra for the wimple, it doesn´t fray and no seams, I just cut the hole for the face. 

Looking forward to seeing your WIP :-) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nadja82 said:

Thank you!

Great tips! Maybe even I can do this 😂

any tips on good fabric too use for the robe? 

You´re welcome 

I used a heavy cotton silk blend, just make sure it can make nice gatherings that stays in place, when ironed down and that the fabric doesn´t have a shine to it. 

You can do it ;-)