• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New Inquisitor (Tales of the Jedi)

The mask is coming along! I got as many of the print lines filled and sanded as I could, and put on several layers of primer followed by the white. Tomorrow I plan to carefully cut away the excess material and start on the weathering and detail painting.

IMG_7908.jpg

A couple quick questions too.

First question, who did the other approved Inquisitors go to for their soft goods? Surely the materials for this Inquisitor would be the same.

Second, would we say the belt has the grooves or no? I’m leaning towards a standard imperial officer’s belt with no grooves, rivet or disk, instead having the silver clips, straps, and the buckle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trachta said:

@TheLoneInquisitor Gabardine or thick twill fabric.  Pretty much the same fabric as imperial officers. 

I’m asking a few vendors if they’d be willing to do the tunic, Kama and pants as custom orders. Hopefully one of them will go for it.

1 minute ago, TheLoneInquisitor said:

On another note, I think I noticed something. 

IMG_7911.jpg

I think there’s a backing around the bottom of the mask. When he moves his head in several scenes, that part moves with the mask rather than the hood.

Yes I noticed that too, there is indeed a backing.  It's kind of like a bag over his head with the mask attached to it. 

4 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

There is definitely some sort of woven texture based on the concept images, but also heavy enough to drape and soft enough to flow.

Perhaps wool or fleece? I’ve got a Vader cape made with wool, and it flows pretty well in the wind.

3 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

No, it's definitely more of a fiber than those. You don't want a felting type of fabric.

Hmm, interesting. I have someone who will possibly do the cloak for me, but they want to know what material it is. I’ll have to dig through a list

I think I might have a winner. Wrong color but shouldn't be too hard to dye.

https://fabrics4fashion.com/products/010010002114

It says it's a "blend between bamboo, cotton and viscose", and I compared the texture of it to the Inquisitor's cloak. Looks super close.

Also, some another notice.

belt.jpg

I had to lighten the image a bit to see it, but the belt and kama are definitely two separate pieces, and the belt does not have the grooves like a standard officer's belt.

It looks like the kama is separate from the shirt too. So shirt, pants, kama, with the belt sitting outside.

Edited by TheLoneInquisitor

3 hours ago, TheLoneInquisitor said:

I think I might have a winner. Wrong color but shouldn't be too hard to dye.

https://fabrics4fashion.com/products/010010002114

It says it's a "blend between bamboo, cotton and viscose", and I compared the texture of it to the Inquisitor's cloak. Looks super close.

Also, some another notice.

belt.jpg

I had to lighten the image a bit to see it, but the belt and kama are definitely two separate pieces, and the belt does not have the grooves like a standard officer's belt.

It looks like the kama is separate from the shirt too. So shirt, pants, kama, with the belt sitting outside.

I'm not too sure that fabric makes sense, not to me anyways. Capes aren't a lightweight garment. I'd find out what Second Sister's are using and go based on that. A cotton blend sure, but a heavier weight definitely. For the cogs it would probably work best too to paint them especially to get the beat up look and because from a practical standpoint it looks more like its printed on the fabric and not like a decal on top of the fabric. 

That belt looks like its also not a uniform width. Probably 2 inches at the buckle but in this picture at least it widens on the sides where the boxes are attached. 

Boots look pretty regular but especially in the design render of him they are clearly not classic imperial boots like on an officer. I would guess that could be a level 2 option though. 

42 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

They was actually my thought. Iirc, Second Sister is canvas cloak.

I went browsing in the Second Sister threads and found a thread about duck fabric being used, with the crl saying “heavy canvas”. 
So I did some searching and found this.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/black-grafton-7-oz-cotton-duck-fabric-.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3dbS08uz-wIVvTizAB1x6QvKEAQYASABEgLtV_D_BwE

Edit: misread the crl, it didn’t say heavy. Just canvas-like

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trachta said:

I would say the cloak goes all the way down to his ankles. 

Heck, I have to agree with you. I said calves but I was thinking of the ankle. 😂

Also might just end up making my own belt, since it gets wider around the belt boxes. I’ll pick up a flat buckle from Wampa Wear later and find some thick leather for the belt this weekend.

9 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

Both canvas look really good.

After reading the product descriptions, turns out the Amazon link and the bigduckfabric.com link are the same product. 😅

so I guess I could just go through the website itself since it’s much much cheaper. 

59 minutes ago, DarthValkyria said:

P.s. I officially submitted the inquiry to LMOs about inclusion into the 501st, so it'll be a week or so before we hear back.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing back about that.

Also, I decided on this for the cloak.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/cotton-duck-cloth-black-10oz-wholesale-preshrunk/

Still looking for someone to do the tunic, pants and kama. I’ll figure it out.

Going to do a run this weekend for belt material, backing for the mask, and LED lights for the eyes.

IMG_7926.jpg

12 hours ago, TheLoneInquisitor said:

Awesome! I look forward to hearing back about that.

Also, I decided on this for the cloak.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/cotton-duck-cloth-black-10oz-wholesale-preshrunk/

Still looking for someone to do the tunic, pants and kama. I’ll figure it out.

Going to do a run this weekend for belt material, backing for the mask, and LED lights for the eyes.

IMG_7926.jpg

So, I printed the same mask.  I've got a plan for the LED eyes.  What about visibility?  Those eye holes are small as it is and depending on how one does the LEDs, visibility could drop to 0.  My current thought is to actually cut out the layer that contains the eyes and back it with black sheer fabric(similar to Kylo Ren), take a bit of black Sintra behind the fabric to attach my LED eyes to through the fabric and then see around the LED eye essentially.  

Other option was using something like these costume glasses and trying to just see through the LED.  https://www.amazon.com/NORK-Glasses-Eyeglasses-Halloween-Accessories/dp/B0BBVLXZF7/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1SLPHAEZWI2P6&keywords=led+cosplay+eyes&qid=1668696866&sprefix=led+cosplay+eye%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-15