• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Asajj Ventress: Nightsister - Costume build completed & approved

Hi Everyone!

I am Tarkan from the Florida Garrison, specifically Everglades Squad, and joined the 501st Legion as an ESB Stormtrooper in August 2021. Sharing the Star Wars excitement in the entire family, my wife wanted to join as well and she picked as her costume of choice Asajj Ventress: Nightsister. Inspired by the Star Wars Clone Wars and her unique character, this was a great fit.

Last week, my wife (@nightwitch) got her costume approved and is now an official 501st Legion member as DS 11601!

9GtLc3g.jpg

We started to explore all available resources in October 2021 to determine what is out there, what we have to do, and how to get started. This forum was helpful to get started, but any Ventress build as a Nightsister was ages ago, hence we struggled to find the right information. Many images where already removed from the forums too, which is why we could only follow already completed costumes and the official character.

As we started, we gathered relevant key information for anyone who wants to pursue this costume, but have to admit that we did not take photos through all steps, but at least the materials. Furthermore, a friend of ours, who is a tailor, took the first run to work on the fabrics. Luckily, my mother is a tailor and added the final touches.

We decided to build the costume with the hoodie as this eliminates the need for a bald head or any type of bald-look-alike solution that also reduced the need for lots of makeup. Furthermore, with the pandemic, the hoodie and mask were just perfect.

Here are the photos of the costume we submitted for approval:

jyEeesA.jpg

vXqaVCf.jpg

QssNFk1.jpg

56JrzYo.jpg

The following approach and materials were used to fulfill the CRL requirements::

Materials for "hard" parts

We used 3D printing for all hard parts of the costume. All was printed with PLA materials and it worked out really well. We used a Prusa i3 MK3S+, which was perfect.

• Greaves:
    • This was probably the one we had to try several times to get to the right size, format, and curved shape to fit our needs. On the way, we found also this template, but highly recommend not to use it as the symbols are carved and incorrect: Asajj Ventress Armor at 3Demon (https://3d-mon.com/3d-model/groupe/unisex3dprintmodel/asajj-ventress-armor-star-wars/)
    • A friend of mine, who is more professional with Fusion 360 designed ours and the outcome is great.
    • Paints used:
      • Rust-Oleum 260510 2-in-1 Filler & Sandable Primer - Gray
      • Rust-Oleum 249127 Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover - Flat Black
      • Rust-Oleum 285144 Charcoal Chalked Ultra Matte Paint
      • Rust-Oleum 7581838 Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint - Light Machine Gray
      • Rust-Oleum 271920 Automotive Acrylic Enamel 2X - Gloss Cherry Red
      • There were a few other Rust-Oleum gray tones we tried out, but will leave them off the list.
    • Once printed, I used Rust-Oleum Filler Primer to smooth out the surface and sanded it. Especially since the print was two parts (top and bottom). This way we could cover the gluing and connection points.
    • Based on the original character, I painted the greaves in Flat Black with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover, but once submitted for approval, we had to change the color to a dark gray. Hence, used Rust-Oleum Charcoal Chalked Ultra Matte Paint and thinned it with white to get the right coloring.
    • For the top and bottom edge, I used Light Machine Gray as a paint.
    • Thanks to @ionicdesign and this forum post: https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2296-nightsister-ventress-from-texas/&tab=comments#comment-24478, I used the shin armor template and adjusted the size to the actual greaves size fitting my wife's costume needs.
    • Once adjusted, I printed it out on Premium Printable Vinyl Sticker Paper for Your Inkjet Or Laser Printer - 15 Glossy White Waterproof Decal Paper Sheets (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NX2VK6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
    • I cut out all the symbols of the printout that gave me a perfect template to use to cover the areas on the greaves. Once the decal was put on the greaves, I use the Gloss Cherry Red paint to spray two layers on.
    • Outcome was great once dried. As mentioned above, had to change the flat back to a dark gray, which I used a brush for.
    • As straps, we used Strapcrafts 1-Inch by 5-Yard Grey Colored Double-Side Twill Non-Roll Wowen Elastic 72250 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EYOSBR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). We cut them based on upper and lower width of the lower leg length and use velcros to connect them on the inner side of the lower leg.
  • Medallions:
    • Designed these in TinkerCad online, was easy, adjusted the size to our needs.
    • Used the Light Machine Gray paint and weathered it with the Flat Black one.
    • In order to attached them to the sash and the body suit, we used snaps, which we glued on the medallions with E6000
  • Rectangular buckles (curved):

Costume-related materials and tinkering

• Neck Cowl: we purchased the fabric from Michael's, unfortunately do not recall the exact name for the material. Our tailor created the neck cowl for use alongside other items below.
  • Bodysuit:
    • Considering being in Florida and potential outdoor troops, we wanted to have light fabric, but that looks good, meets the requirements, but is also stretching enough to allow movement.
    • We used Cali Fabrics (www.califabrics.com) - Eggplant Grey Space Dye Moisture Wicking Designer Athletic Knit, 4 yards.
    • Tailor took measures and created the bodysuit and the leggings from this fabric.
    • Added to the front leg triangles snaps to keep it in shape and attached to the leggings.
  • Leggings:
    • Same material as above but we considered to connect it with a white biker shorts, which we purchased on Amazon (there are plenty).
    • We sewed them together with an elastic thread.
    • Added the snaps to keep it connected and in shape with the body suit.
  • Sash:
    • We got the fabric from the Online Fabric Store (www.onlinefabricstore.net😞 Cherry Red Crushed Taffeta Fabric (Product ID: CTAF643)
    • As we submitted our first try, it was clarified as too red, hence had to make adjustments. We used Rit DyeMore for Synthetics - Graphite and dyed it to darken it.
    • Used several snaps to keep the sash in place and also velcro to attach it to each other.
  • Hood:
    • Same material as the bodysuit, but it is a separate costume item, to make it easier to wear.
    • Tailor added a plastic based, but still elastic band to keep the front of the hoodie in shape.
  • Mask: For the mask, we decided to use a black balaclava: Achiou Balaclava Face Mask UV Protection Ice Silk (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08591Z9TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
  • Bracers:
    • Buckles are 3D printed (as outlined before).
    • The material we used for bracers are actually dark gray knee high socks. I do have to check where we purchased those. We cut the foot part and used it as the upper arm end of the bracer to keep the loose fit look of the bracer.
  • Boots: Finding boots was difficult, but we found at DSW - Journee Collection IVIE Riding Boots - Grey. Had to cut off the belt on it, but that worked fine.
  • Additional items we considered for a more comfortable fit are
    • Nike Pro 365 - Women's Mid-Rise Crop Leggings in White to be worn under the leggings. More comfortable for longer troops because of the compression and keeps you dry in the Florida heat.
    • Nike Dri-FIT ADV Aura - Women's Slim Fit Short-Sleeve Top in black to be worn under the Bodysuit.

Makeup - Complexion and Battle Tattoos

• Pale-color makeup: Considering being in Florida, heat, and humidity, we looked into something that can withstand these, but is also easy to apply and remove. Best worked for us Mehron Makeup Fantasy F/X Water Based Face & Body Paint (1 oz) (Moonlight White). Easy to apply and easy to remove. Using it for face and the hands.
  • For the other colors, this worked out the best: Mehron Makeup Paradise Makeup AQ Face & Body Paint (1.4 oz) (Mauve)

Lightsabers

• Twin hilts 3D printed to have lightsabers without blades
  • With red blades: Hasbro - Star Wars The Black Series Asajj Ventress Force FX

Hope this is helpful and I will add the missing items once I have the information. Now, we are looking for her first troop!

Tarkan

• Like 1