• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Looking For An Accurate Darth Nihilis COTF Mask

BigJasoni

Hey all,
I've been looking through the threads and can't seem to find a good source for a Nihilis COTF Mask. Every page I go to says sold out. I'd prefer a cast piece, but if anyone can point me towards some ACCURATE 3D files, I'm more than happy to go that route also.

Additionally, I'm reading some mixed messages regarding the shape of the mask. The CRL specifically states that it's supposed to be the skull-like mask and adds that the "KOTR II mask is not acceptable with this version." Likewise, the KOTR II CRL states "COTF  mask is not acceptable with this version." However, I've seen a few posts leading people to masks that will "work for both CRLs," so you can imagine I'm a little confused. Regardless, I'm ready to buy a mask, cowl and black out mask right now, but need some assistance.
Thanks!

https://wickedarmor.com/collections/darth-nihilus/products/darth-nihilus-mask-inspired-by-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-custom-prop-replica

I went through Wicked for my whole kit

I am waiting on a Walts kit as well as see how it compares but I know Wicked's is correct

I was also approved with the whole kit from Wicked Armor, though I did ask him to make sure all the lines and ovals on my mask matched the CRL. He made changes to his mold, based on my request, and I believe his COTF mask can pass out of the box now.

5 hours ago, Alachaas said:

https://wickedarmor.com/collections/darth-nihilus/products/darth-nihilus-mask-inspired-by-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-custom-prop-replica

I went through Wicked for my whole kit

I am waiting on a Walts kit as well as see how it compares but I know Wicked's is correct

1 hour ago, Gomcse said:

I was also approved with the whole kit from Wicked Armor, though I did ask him to make sure all the lines and ovals on my mask matched the CRL. He made changes to his mold, based on my request, and I believe his COTF mask can pass out of the box now.

Thanks guys. I saw the Wicked Armor mask earlier, but what's throwing me off is that it says "Knights of the Old Republic II," but it has the black out mask as in the COTF CRL. When you both say you were approved, were you approved as COTF or KOTOR? Also, David, the lines and oval details on the site picture do indeed look like those in the COTF CRL, so I think you're right.

Do either of you know who's mask was used in the COTF CRL?

I haven´t seen any correct 3d file yet of the COFT version, I had to remodel the one I got by reshaping the checkbones and eyes + sand done the lines over the eyes before it could pass approval.  As to Wicked Armor, yes that mask with the blackout mask is fine for approval for the COFT version ;-) 

You can see my build thread here :  

8 hours ago, Heavy1973 said:

I haven´t seen any correct 3d file yet of the COFT version, I had to remodel the one I got by reshaping the checkbones and eyes + sand done the lines over the eyes before it could pass approval.  As to Wicked Armor, yes that mask with the blackout mask is fine for approval for the COFT version ;-) 

You can see my build thread here :  

Heidi,
Thanks for the info. I actually looked at your thread a couple days ago. It looks like you went the route I've been thinking about going. I am curious what you used for your tunic patterns though. 
I think I've settled on the Wicked Armor mask, but I may still print one off and play around with it while I wait. It seems like all the masks I've seen have the raised stripes above the eyes, so I think if I print this off in resin, sanding will be pretty easy. However, then I run into the issue of finding a black-out mask.

One other reason I'm thinking about printing is because if I'm going to make my own soft parts, that's the only way I can apparently get the cowl. I've seen a couple 3D files that include the cowl, so that might be my only option unless one of you can point me towards a "kitty ears" tutorial.

I kind of feel like I'm "late to the party." With the exception of Wicked Armor, it seems like all the Nihilis masks are either sold out or no longer made. I'm also now having a hard time finding an in-stock lightsaber.

Thanks again for your assistance

I did find this file though. It looks like a good option for hanging off my belt until I can find a good saber. Also, anyone have any leads for a dueling "combat ready" saber. I've been invited to join the Saber Guild, but obviously, I don't want to go in there with a printed blade or an expensive fragile saber:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/art/sculptures/star-wars-darth-nihilus-light-saber-hilt

I did find this file though. It looks like a good option for hanging off my belt until I can find a good saber. Also, anyone have any leads for a dueling "combat ready" saber. I've been invited to join the Saber Guild, but obviously, I don't want to go in there with a printed blade or an expensive fragile saber:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/art/sculptures/star-wars-darth-nihilus-light-saber-hilt
Look at lucifer sabers. I have the nihilus saber of them and it's perfect with light and sound and combat Blade

Enviado desde mi ASUS_I004D mediante Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, BigJasoni said:

Heidi,
Thanks for the info. I actually looked at your thread a couple days ago. It looks like you went the route I've been thinking about going. I am curious what you used for your tunic patterns though. 
I think I've settled on the Wicked Armor mask, but I may still print one off and play around with it while I wait. It seems like all the masks I've seen have the raised stripes above the eyes, so I think if I print this off in resin, sanding will be pretty easy. However, then I run into the issue of finding a black-out mask.

One other reason I'm thinking about printing is because if I'm going to make my own soft parts, that's the only way I can apparently get the cowl. I've seen a couple 3D files that include the cowl, so that might be my only option unless one of you can point me towards a "kitty ears" tutorial.

I kind of feel like I'm "late to the party." With the exception of Wicked Armor, it seems like all the Nihilis masks are either sold out or no longer made. I'm also now having a hard time finding an in-stock lightsaber.

Thanks again for your assistance

Happy to be able to help out and to have wips to look at from other members are a great resource, also for someone, who wants to join in the future. 😉

As to my tunics, I actually just laid one of my t-shirts out and used it as a base to cut the fabric after, didn´t use any pattern.

Just remember to have enough fabric so that you can make the cross-over - as to the sleeves, I used a normal pattern and made it ca. 2 sizes bigger, so that I could make the quilted sleeves.

I bought my "hood" from Pam, not sure if she sells them anymore - you could try and ask her : https://twilekpam.com/products/darth-nihilus-hood?variant=13962054041718 . I can see that it is sold out. Perhaps you can 3d print it ?   I attached the fabric to it with velcro and sewed in an extra piece of fabric in the front to close the gape between it and the mask. 

As for my black-out mask, I bought a cheap plastic Halloween face mask, cut it and painted it black, I am trying to get my oldest son to 3d print me a new one, because I am not all that happy about the fit on this one.  He did print me a saber that I just need to sand down, put together and paint, so hopefully that one will be nice to have for canon events. It will be without blade, but that is fine with me. 

The one you link to doens´t quite look right though.  Try this one : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2223990  - or take a look at the one Daniel wrote about - you can find it here : https://lucifersabers.com/en/product/nihilus/  - that is nice. 

You´re on the right way :-D

Thanks again everyone!

27 minutes ago, Heavy1973 said:

I bought my "hood" from Pam, not sure if she sells them anymore - you could try and ask her : https://twilekpam.com/products/darth-nihilus-hood?variant=13962054041718 . I can see that it is sold out. Perhaps you can 3d print it ?   I attached the fabric to it with velcro and sewed in an extra piece of fabric in the front to close the gape between it and the mask. 

I reached out to Pam via email yesterday. Unfortunately it looks like all her Nihilis stuff is sold out.

27 minutes ago, Heavy1973 said:

The one you link to doens´t quite look right though.  Try this one : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2223990  - or take a look at the one Daniel wrote about - you can find it here : https://lucifersabers.com/en/product/nihilus/  - that is nice. 

I was looking at that lightsaber because it appeared to be a sculpt of the Unicron saber found at the Pach store: https://www.thepachstore.com/products/unicron

However, that one by lucifer sabers seems to be more in line with what I'm looking for.

So long as you get the correct updated versions, MyWickedArmor has both versions available that meet minimum requirements. 

Do not listen to anyone that says the masks are interchangeable for KOTOR II and COTF versions as they are not. I have made many posts in the GML and TFE forums about this, so unsure why people would be saying as such.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, DarthValkyria said:

So long as you get the correct updated versions, MyWickedArmor has both versions available that meet minimum requirements. 

Thanks Nina,
I just ordered their mask.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:24 PM, DarthValkyria said:

Do not listen to anyone that says the masks are interchangeable for KOTOR II and COTF versions as they are not. I have made many posts in the GML and TFE forums about this, so unsure why people would be saying as such.

Exactly what I thought. I've made enough costumes with several variations to know this rarely flies. Regardless, I'll get to work on this as soon as the mask arrives. Thanks again for your help.

Just an update:
I said a few days ago that I ordered the Wicked Armor mask, but I was still hunting for the cowl/ horns/ cat ears. Melanie from Wicked Armor reached out to answer a couple questions I had about the order, but told me that they could do the plastic form for the cowl for an additional $10. That's a screaming deal if you ask me, especially knowing that I'd spend more than that on filament and it likely wouldn't look half as good. So, my mask should be getting here in about 2 weeks and at that time I'll officially kick off a build thread.

I just wanted to thank everyone who jumped in to help a Flagship Eclipse noob. I'm already getting the impression that this group has the markers of being a very good detachment, so thanks again. I can't wait to start interacting with everyone a little more and getting this build off the ground.

That is good news and a super great deal for the plastic form - I would also have jumped that one in a heartbeat. 

Sounds like we can soon welcome you into the ranks in TFE detachment - thank you for the kind words, much appreciated,  always happy to assist ;-)

Wow, I don't know how I missed the updates here and I solidify for the late reply. As already stated, the KOTOR ll and COTF masks are different. Order the one you need by talking to the manufacturer directly. 

I hope you got the pieces you needed and look forward to your update.