• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

KaiserintheHood's Grand Inquisitor

With that banger of a start to Kenobi I wanted to get my Inquisitor wip together here. This is of course the Rebels Grand Inquisitor. I started this at the beginning of the year and then it was just a happy coincidence that he ended up in Kenobi 😄

Hi I'm Dan. I have a few troopers, tk, tb, ti, ig... but I wanted a lightsaber so here I am lol. Let me start by breaking down my build and then I'll get into the details. I will preface by saying I'm of course going off the CRL but also doing my own thing here and there based on my own research into the character and what components I have available to me. But that will be a conversation between me and my GML when it's time 😉

Shirt and pants: suiting fabric

Neck Seal: black vinyl and jersey liner

Gloves: Black nomex gloves. On amazon. Same as what lots of TK's wear.

Belt: 2 inch leather belt. Custom fabricated aluminum buckle.

Armor: tristonecrafts https://www.etsy.com/listing/1027184554/star-wars-rebels-grand-inquisitor-armor?ref=yr_purchases

Helmet: JMSprops https://www.etsy.com/listing/689844054/the-grand-inquisitor-helmets-and-armor?click_key=9b1cff9351bb57b46b5f2acd18e19f326f4edefb%3A689844054&click_sum=13672739&ref=shop_home_active_10&frs=1&crt=1

Boots: Crowprops https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/black-officer-riding-boots-with-back-hided-zippers

Lightsaber: DarkWolf Sabers https://darkwolfsabers.com/shop/ols/products/grand-interrogator

Mask: noo thank you. I know there are a couple masks out there but to me these do not look at all realistic and seem like a nightmare to wear. I will be wearing the helmet 99% of the time and will do full makeup for that one special occasion once I figure out how to best do makeup. Somehow that sounds preferable to me. 

Edited by KaiserintheHood

Shirt

My armor was printed by one of my garrison buddies so in the meantime I went to work on the shirt and pants. I found two really nice looking grey suiting fabrics to use, one a medium and one a darker color, 4 yards and 2.5 yards respectively which turned out to be just enough with some leftover fabric. And picked up half a yard or so of black vinyl for the neck seal. 

84962201917a433acc87923ca59ecc06.jpg

The way I make my patterns is a little whack but hopefully you can get the gist of it. I'm also making all of this to fit me exactly anyways so I'm not really using standard shirt and pants patterns. But basically I just take an old shirt of mine, cut it on the seams, and then use each panel as my patterns. Front, back, and one sleeve (just flip sleeve pattern for the other arm easy peasy). Pants were sort of the same method but I used my actual suit pants and traced those out without cutting anything, cuz ya know they're my actual suit pants for like regular human gatherings... But this worked extremely well still and the pants fit nearly perfectly. 

Shirt pattern was a little more complicated but only because it has the center front and back panels and the side panels as the different color fabrics. 

c61eb2ce8b3cd73e235bcb56972e980f.jpg

I actually made the center front of the shirt first just because it is only a rectangle for the most part. The Inquisitor has 15 ribs on his shirt in line with the edges of the chest armor, so after measuring that out against the width of the armor this is what I came up with, about 3/4 inch width ribbing with two layers of 1/8 inch batting on the inside. Pretty much the same way I made my biker scout flak vest I experimented with stitching the ribs with black thread instead of just grey because in reference material the ribbing is pretty dark compared to the fabric. Idk could be dirt or something the artist put in the crevices but trying that look with just thread didn't work for me. Might be a good air brushing area but in the end I'm just thinking about this too much so let's move on lol. 

296fb71bc30b440074fc21d1b6e69670.jpg

15f66580ad2b9043f473681dfdd7ab43.jpg

With the front panel made I cut down the middle a few inches on the neck hole so I could fit a zipper in there and make it a nice grand inquisitor quarter zip sweater lol. Also because the suiting fabric doesn't really stretch very much so I wouldn't be able to get my head through the neck without a zipper or etc. I'll admit the pic is very hard to pick up details here but the edges got rolled over to finish the seams nicely (i know what i'm doing pretty much but idk many of the technical sewing terms for some things like this oops). 

1d90534ba9bc02fe236f8658d322428f.jpg

BIG OOPs this is why you buy extra fabric. this is the side panel. if you can tell what i did wrong here well....oops haha. I thought i was being super smart about my cutting but I totally just wasted my time and fabric. the curves on this pattern are the armpits and they should be touching, NOT the other way around. Don't follow this step I just wanted to laugh at my mistakes. 

00564cc533f174948cc7b4e94ffb3567.jpg

Now that I fixed my mistake I now have a nice inquisitor tank top. Super trendy I know. Ribbing lined up pretty well with the armor so I'm very pleased with it. I did make the shirt outrageously longer than I needed to because I wasn't sure how much I would want tucked into the pants or if I wanted to Velcro the shirt to the pants or what. Bottom hem isn't finished yet here because of that and in the pics i just have it folded up on the inside to get a better idea of where I'm headed. Sleeves next.

affc88915c84f0c281fed5be5076e397.jpg
4c5a1e549069da568340ab85c7f1b8d4.jpg
ef1656914e21911d8a40d3e52aeadb00.jpg

Sleeves are pretty straight forward with a good pattern. Same dark grey suiting fabric as the side panels. I found a nice red 1 inch ribbon for the stripe as well. Measured out where the heck the center was and the pinned the ribbon on. I left it long at the top because I wanted it to continue up the shoulder to the neck. Maybe not abundantly necessary because it is covered by the armor but it makes sense this way. It does make it more tricky sewing the sleeve to the shirt however.

a2baa5ed47a1d26b82442d6a7e8b704c.jpg

ef76da659087084beb248b95cd366efd.jpg

8366cebb2ee027e9a8e4d9b7c968d96e.jpg

So it's now 5 months later since I made the shirt and I'm just reading the CRL to see that it's calling for no cuffs on the sleeves..? That doesn't make sense to me so I made cuffs. It's a shirt of course it will have cuffs. Maybe what I made is just a hem idk it's all hidden anyways. With both sleeves finished I got the neck hole and zipper finished as well. Ideally I would've wanted the zipper to be longer but at 3 or 4 inches it was almost going to be getting too close to the bottom of the armor and risk being exposed. 

b4f667f74cda4520ecf9c85a3b894377.jpg

6d9ba9d78f08e71b55de39c41d771c08.jpg

b5f7aa221ee2faff5f6baca0cbbb7bf5.jpg

A little test fitting of the shirt with the unfinished 3d printed armor and the first attempt at the neck seal. 

988ebf7c06e1a81e5669d04662b314eb.jpg

c7f252f215a3772254de4f636462c4ce.jpg

• Like 1

Neck Seal

I went through *several* iterations of this thing. The first one was totally not the way. I was trying to get the right curvature around my shoulders and my jaw line and it just wasn't working out quite right. Necks are such a goofy shape. The "stacked strips" as the CRL calls it were not doing it for me. In references, to me it looks more like ribbing like on the shirt or like a regular TK neck seal. I tried doing it that way but still pretty unsuccessfully. Somehow I forgot about/didn't think it would need batting to make the ribs and I just stitched it flat. So gross looking. Also it was too tight on me anyways and was choking me lol. So back to the drawing board. Can see here I was trying to figure out those funky neck curves and measuring out the ribbing.

f78dd4b5ca8a1570de63b35f0cfdf8f4.jpg

aca1abde69bf9c97ce1c558515b11d84.jpg

Version 3 (i think). You'll like version 3. I like version 3. Version 3 was just slightly larger in circumference than before so now I can just be force choked by vader instead of physically choked by my clothes. I decided to try the stacked ribs called out in the CRL annnnnd it turned out great sorry for doubting you guys. Grand Inquisitor has 5 or 6ish ribs at about an inch wide. My neck is not 5 inches tall but I still managed these dimensions. I made the base of the neck seal with black jersey fabric and cut 5, 1 inch, strips of the black vinyl. Starting on the bottom rib, I sewed just the top of the vinyl strip and then layered them on one by one overlapping about a 1/4 inch. I can't decide if he actually has 5 or actually has 6 ribs but I'm going with 5 and playing the very bottom off as that's the bib. Hope that makes sense. Stacking the ribs like this turned out to be super beneficial though because now if I bend my neck it will accordion and will bend with me instead of being all stiff and choke me like before. 

bc28764d7640e743770ea742bb3d9823.jpg

12bc4672009c4a34dafdb390b4787cfa.jpg

b5333bf278d6185ab90eb753a9f213b2.jpg

bb2ad7aab01cda7d6ec4d0c33c26a143.jpg

6d480f8bf774e99652479a25eb924920.jpg

• Like 1

Pants

Like I said earlier, I used my real suit pants as my pattern here. Partly tracing each leg and partly guessing where it all was going to line up because I couldn't take these pants apart. After making a regular pants pattern I added on the jodhpur thighs. This wasn't super precise I just measured and made a guess on where to end the curve on these which ended up to be a few inches above my knee. Looking at the Grand Inquisitor this is about right. Sewed one side of one pant leg first then did the grey stripe down the middle. I used the same dark grey fabric as on the shirt sleeves and did an inch width to match the red stripes. It wasn't until after making both legs that I realized I need to angle the tops of the stripe outward because it was getting too narrow near the fly. 

9ec886df311be833999281442adfccf2.jpg

7d3a01638c8ec6881417ded245851f4f.jpg

Not a huge deal I just needed to pic a spot on my thigh a few inches down and then scooch the stripe out about 2 inches on the top. It wasn't until I had the pants complete and the hip armor made that I decided that I moved the stripes out too much this time. I'm not particularly keen on moving them in again because that would mean seam ripping the waist band off and the fly and belt loops and I'm more than fine with not doing all that. Ankle hems done the same as the wrists. Added a 2 inch waist band to match the belt width. This is lined with interfacing to keep nice and flat forever and sturdy too.  Fly is about 10x2 inches also with interfacing. I'm really happy about how this turned out I even put a hook clasp in there to make them seem like legit pants. 

ef8a56f816681b0998a2cb6dcbbb5b4e.jpg b81bd25abeaef9b375c62c033903d9f3.jpg

354533ff5ca7aae3a27b31cb852f2263.jpg 1e0bf18b787372aef1c24598f4927220.jpg

0cbeae0012e5ec43be824ca0d38cf1ee.jpg

Belt Loops!! All two of them lol

8f546d5c1fd7037be1350968c521e16d.jpg

aa076cc6621e333da054f05fe3aa9a54.jpg

Test fit of shirt and pants with the belt and boots. Looking pretty good.

fb2323b9f3034a152c29e13477d00d83.jpg

02af29a433f87158b57ce328d9a9769e.jpg

ed7e118e9a8c68429cb315d44e13946d.jpg

• Like 1

Gloves, belt, boots

I mentioned in my first post that I was doing my own thing for some of the costume. Well here they are, lightsaber too but I'll post that separately. The gloves, He doesn't have strictly black gloves I know. He also for sure doesn't have medium grey gloves as per the CRL either. His glove color most closely matches the sleeve color. Different scene lighting makes everything look different for sure but they are definitely not a medium or light grey color. I searched and searched for a medium to dark grey plain glove and came up empty so I'm just going with black. I could probably just make the gloves myself with the same fabric I used but gloves are a whole other beast to tackle when it comes to sewing. The belt is just my TIE pilot belt from WampaWear. Not the perfect match to the show but I believe it is perfectly acceptable to how I want myself to look. In the future I will plan on making a new buckle that is correct but for now this is good with me. My boots are regular Crowprops officer boots. Gio is the man for Star Wars boots. I also just don't agree with the CRL saying it's short boots with greaves. I will wait for the proposed changes from @Mono to happen and make an ankle ring later but it's not something I'm losing sleep over 😉 

Lightsaber

Ok so I'd like to think I know quite a bit about making stormtrooper armor and making soft goods and blasters and all that. I've done quite a lot of that. But lightsabers are just something I had no knowledge of at all before starting this build. I still wouldn't say I know anything about them now  I quickly learned that the only metal inquisitor lightsaber available was from....I forget who now... for about $1,000 and was the second sister's anyways. Yeah I can't swing that much for this costume this was supposed to be one of my cheaper 501st costumes haha cheap 501st costume... Anyways this was the ONLY Grand Inquisitor lightsaber of any kind that I could find https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1945665 And it looks pretty nice I was going to print this out and then do a pipe build sorta saber. So I spent time looking at thecustomsabershop.com at what parts I could use. For my personal preference I decided that none of the base lit electronics would be good enough for me so i started researching other saber companies and found Crimson Dawn oooh. The hilts are really nothing fancy from what I understand. They all come from the same factory in China as other saber companies. But even still, a neo pixel Proffie lightsaber for only $350 sounded perfect to me. I picked this one https://www.crimsondawn.com/collections/in-stock-sabers-only/products/twilight-saber Again, it's not a perfect match to the Grand Inquisitor. Obviously no ring to helicopter away with and the emitter is not the same, but I really liked the grip on this one. I think of everything that I looked at this was the closest to his hilt and in my price range. And hoooly cow this thing is cool. 

675176a383ccafa1c7e7aae9529a0b85.jpg

It came with about 40 different fonts which I was not expecting so it will not be blue when I'm out as the Grand Inquisitor  I also picked up a second emitter from Crimson Dawn. It still will only be able to house the one Proffie board and one pixel blade but at least this way it looks like it could be double bladed. Also the length of the hilt looks pretty close to his actual hilt now. It's not quite a staff but it's also not quite a single handed hilt. About 15 inches now. I did however get two red day blades so I can absolutely still run around with a duel ended saber. I do plan to build the ring so it can slide onto the hilt and look more accurate either by printing the model I found or fabbing my own but likely just the half circle configuration. 

640276e260e1fe190e0f133f50b3020f.jpg

Armor

The pride and joy of this costume. I like sewing but there's something about painting armor that is just so satisfying. There are two venders for Grand Inquisitor armor that I know of, JMSprops and Tristonecrafts. Both on etsy. Both for Rebels style.  I went with Tristonecrafts for the armor. No real reason why that I can remember I think at the time JMSprops only had his helmet listed and Tristonecrafts only had the armor so it just worked out that way. Looking at the two files now though I do like the Tristonecrafts armor better. It's all pretty much the same except for the compad on the arm. Tristonecrafts is flat and not protruding out like the JMSprops version. The files also came in as separate parts for the arm and the compad which was nice because I wanted to make the three buttons light up. 

0016be5efa85e95bf171ba3dfef11e8b.jpg

For reference I am 5'11 150 pounds or so and printed all the files at 100% scale. 3d print, sand, filler primer, sand, bondo, filler primer, repeat. You know the drill! I don't get too picky about paint colors usually and I'm not painting a TK bucket here so it's pretty straight forward. IYKYK I like Krylon paints, they dry quickly and I've had good results with them. I laid down a gunmetal basecoat and then did a matte black topcoat. The Grand Inquisitor really doesn't have too much weathering. If he does it's very subtle or just a hazy metal look like the character models in Battlefront 2. So I went with the tape ball technique picked up from island_fett on insta. Cool, cool dude. Anyways. Before the top coat is dry just rub a ball of tape all over it and it'll get nice irregular scratchies and scuffs and exposes the metallic basecoat underneath. I think it turned out super well and I actually wish I had done more to it but I wanted to take it easy because too much weathering will start to look unnatural. Over that went the satin clear coat. 

9b397d018eb33f5d2ad99afaa4d38ed3.jpg

84182c18535a3e3c002c319f679e3440.jpg

831847171ab84193b5e0f4e3592652ad.jpg

736972bd571a5e34de58cf2118e93888.jpg

I should mention that the 3d models did come as a chest, a back, and a neck piece. And they all had dowel holes for easy assembly. I installed magnets and it works ok... For connecting the chest to the back I also have velcro straps on the inside because the magnets would for sure not hold. The neck sticks nicely and I don't foresee it falling off ever. It could get bumped and move but with how tight of a squeeze it is to get it around my neck it's not going to fall to the ground and break. The forearm bracers are in two parts as well with a main section and a chunk of the inner wrist that can come off. There are very thin spots to install magnets but I decided to just use a velcro and elastic strap on the inside to hold on the wrist cover. I'm still working out a way to keep it all tightly together because with the shirt and glove on the seam will sometimes get bigger the more I move around. 

614dad542dc86a6ffd288a6b9b6e1498.jpg
6bead5ee2a05cba9d0f9456bc3c05f67.jpg

5be403cbd3b77564d432b57b2bbf5411.jpg

Figuring out the chest LED and the compad LEDs. I'm doing a really basic connection here. Maybe I'm not even doing it correctly idk but it's worked for me in the past. Anywho, 9 volt with a resistor and LEDs. On the chest I just used 2 red LEDs but on the compad I'm using 1 red and 2 white LEDs. I used white opaque acylic for the white buttons and red trans acrylic for the red. Playing around with how the lights look inside there i decided to go with a layer of open celled clear foam on the red lights to diffuse it more and then on the back of the foam used white electrical tape. I found that a white inside was key to making the button and the chest really look 3 dimensional. The compad LEDs look pretty much just like they do in the pictures as they do in person but the chest LEDs are much more diffused across the whole piece of acrylic. Pictures really don't show how nice it looks in person unfortunately. 

4f9e083b6cf5734ff35b6bac32a49326.jpg

b378bbfdedfa5cf458960d50f0102b60.jpg

4105028ce38ca459041662e89ee312f5.jpg

8e9feb6de17b6a228d4614648b6f801a.jpg

39ff22a3670e7d4a838ce38b5d980130.jpg

Mating the neck, the chest, and back turned out ok but there were still gaps between all the parts when there really shouldn't be. *or ideally shouldn't be* I'm not building magical cartoon playdoh armor lol. But I found it worked very well to just lay down some sticky felt to the neck and to the back piece. I did felt on the neck piece and not just around the neck hole of the combined chest and back because when this is done and I have the helmet I'm not convinced the helmet will fit with the neck attached. So I want it to be removable and not scratch up the neck hole on the other pieces. They had the right idea to get rid of the neck piece in Kenobi The felt filled in these gaps really well and there's still a seam yes, but now it looks a little more intentional.

80e1f949f3216632fc7053564bf9495a.jpg

f3d08ca5d571fe5dc552e4815023f3c1.jpg

Shoulders came out very nicely. Decals not so much haha. Because of the curvature of the bells the decals did not quite flatten out so well. But not to worry! This gave me an opportunity to rough em up a bit. Anywhere the decal got bubbly or folded over itself I just cut out the blemish and now its weathered. Bam! These get velcroed to the shirt nothing fancy. 

640e42e406825ab6c2b3fccd6a46d00f.jpg

06b52d28f12817e14d6e6c363729ed71.jpg

Hips...Well the files did come with hip files but my buddies printer took a crap and we haven't been able to get these printed yet. But fear not! I made them out of sintra. I hate cutting sintra because it gets really dusty and the dust is sticky. Wear a mask! But the good thing about sintra is it's nice and light and can heat form pretty well. I made the basic shapes and then heated them on the side of a bucket with a heat gun. It worked so well idk if I even want to bother finishing more 3d prints now I'm not sure how large the 3d files for these were so I am just guessing on the size and judging based on my own legs. These are about 15 inches tall. They also flatten out the jodhpurs nicely but don't completely cover them either. 

cac83f00331ada035d56dc613eebe74c.jpg

2d551df4d12c5ff9572526d8ea5c58d6.jpg

Lastly, the detailed painting. Hmmm. I spent a long time re-watching all the Grand Inquisitor's scenes and what I found is that his neck armor is not just painted black. The top of the neck is distinctly a grey color which is part of a flange which is also grey on the bottom side. Then a lighter grey pinstripe is present. Then it is black like the rest of the armor. For the top flange I just used the same gunmetal color as I used for the basecoat. Seems to work very nicely next to the black. Then for the pinstripe I just used a silver acrylic. Also silver acrylic on the chest details as well. The 3d model does not have this top flange defined so I just eyeballed the proportions. The flat base of the neck on the chest is the same dark grey shown on the neck. Then there is a lip at the very front with this face being black. Around the entirety of the neck, on the chest and back there is also a silver pinstripe, again not modelled into the pieces but this does not extend up onto that front lip. 

8b20046ae5273be4b0979e55ebf52f4d.jpg

dadd2b380fc957724aa0096d4c4e7c4a.jpg

866cc95ccbf816eb3064ef0f5aca7501.jpg

8798237c8c63158ce455dc9564faf5b4.jpg

• Like 1

Helmet

Bueller..? Bueller..? The helmet i'm still waiting on while my buddy's printer is down. I anxiously await it's arrival.

Edit: 7/31
After a few attempts at printing the helmet, we finally go it. The files from JMS props were great, the only problem was when my buddy took it into his 3d printer program it was coming in at about 1/12 scale. With the way the helmet mates with the neck armor we needed it to be as tight as possible to my head dimensions. Ideally the head opening lines up with my jaw bone and fits perfectly inside the neck armor. We ended up scaling up about 900% and printed about an inch of the head opening. Did this about three times scaling up and down every time until we got one that fit over my head. After getting a ring that fit we printed the whole helmet at that dim. This gave us a helmet the size of a giant pumpkin. It was massive. But it fit over my head.. Turns out, these files are just not going to fit over a human head and be accurately scaled without some finagling. If the helmet is properly proportioned then the head opening will be too small, and if the head opening is big enough then the helmet will be too large. This helmet needs to be made like a realistic clone helmet is with the back cut off and hinged because the neck is so small on those helmets. So, after measuring the too big helmet we just printed we crossed our fingers and picked a smaller scale. This turned out nearly perfectly I think. And after cutting the bottom off I'm able to get it all on. Proportionally it looks very nice on my head and next to the rest of the armor. No pads yet in these pics but its looking like it will sit right where i need it. Still in process of painting and finishing but the plan is to hinge the cut off and add magnets. I cut the helmet underneath the flange so it worked out pretty well to hide that seam. For the most part its hidden and on the sides it should at least look aesthetically intentional this way. That's the hope at least because there's no other way to do it. 

7a5ed8c86c122fc405b9dc81ab24ebfb.jpg

28b9f9958e4c0d123df83bbb07ed7938.jpg

644015daffe21c6eeebc425e5e3867b9.jpg

a62a8993a98fa594cd5957eaba5ab715.jpg

b415615c95955c21fa8f2354248a14ec.jpg

8b5f3ebc0fbb85676ff72ac84fff93d1.jpg

Initial suit up cheesin. I'm very pleased with how this is looking so far and I'll be very happy to get the helmet finished. Really not too much different than in Kenobi and I'm going to be called Darth Vader anyways so why does it really matter  I'll make changes to the lightsaber and the boot/greave debate at some point but for now I'm totally good with this. It's funny, I started this well before it was ever announced the Grand Inquisitor would be in Kenobi and I knew there would be costume changes but I was way too far into this to stop lol. I couldn't be happier though with his live action inclusion. 

e5e888dfb8b1e9798d7a20bf25bfdfe1.jpg

31503944bcc99f287c4bf92929b07411.jpg

6d098789c8d687c8c66e7810842df4ad.jpg

e76b7cf426182a77637c6e0a5268f582.jpg

7ef0a3def98ef72893cfe44ee688817c.jpg

0a5b855f72e6609cc8dd066ddde71f17.jpg

c86ea4cadb3d537676dc4005f555f48e.jpg

0fe402adcaca16a4732751c02a329407.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good!

makes me very happy to see more G. Inquisitors popping up! 

If you want a Grand Inquisitor belt buckle, I modeled one for my belt, I’ve been meaning to put it up on thingiverse but never got around to it. Though I must admit, the metal Tie buckle looks really nice and shiny! 

I’ll also throw in my two cents regarding the lightsaber. I made mine from the thingiverse files you linked, I modified the files to house a small 3x AAA battery pack and a simple 3V LED module I got from Etsy. Planning to switch to a tri-Cree LED and 18650 battery eventually. It works pretty good other than it being pretty fragile and a bit clunky, I also omitted to adding sound, animation, motion sensors and all that, since I didn’t really think it would be heard very well at a crowded con-floor. The file I used is made up of a lot of pieces, making it able to switch from half ring to full ring. I did have a similar idea to yours of using a simple base saber and housing it in a 3d printed hilt with the rings, but I never got that far.

maybe someday I’ll model my own saber…

keep up the Jedi hunt and the good work! 

/Malte

11 hours ago, Mono said:

Looking good!

makes me very happy to see more G. Inquisitors popping up! 

If you want a Grand Inquisitor belt buckle, I modeled one for my belt, I’ve been meaning to put it up on thingiverse but never got around to it. Though I must admit, the metal Tie buckle looks really nice and shiny! 

I’ll also throw in my two cents regarding the lightsaber. I made mine from the thingiverse files you linked, I modified the files to house a small 3x AAA battery pack and a simple 3V LED module I got from Etsy. Planning to switch to a tri-Cree LED and 18650 battery eventually. It works pretty good other than it being pretty fragile and a bit clunky, I also omitted to adding sound, animation, motion sensors and all that, since I didn’t really think it would be heard very well at a crowded con-floor. The file I used is made up of a lot of pieces, making it able to switch from half ring to full ring. I did have a similar idea to yours of using a simple base saber and housing it in a 3d printed hilt with the rings, but I never got that far.

maybe someday I’ll model my own saber…

keep up the Jedi hunt and the good work! 

/Malte

Thanks Malte. I know it's not accurate but the TIE belt also doesn't look too out of place so I'm not going to fuss over it right now. Yeah on the lightsaber I definitely was planning to do the same as you but decided in the end that anything base lit, even tri cree, just wouldn't look as nice as I'd like it to be. And at least with the saber I got it will absolutely be able to be heard in a con. It's very loud haha. And why have a lightsaber if it doesn't do lightsaber things, ya know? My hope is that with Kenobi out now and good reference for the live action hilt then someone will eventually make a metal hilt, albeit a realistic and not animated version, so I'll maybe invest in that someday.

Lightsaber update

By now I'm sure you've seen it on tic tok and instagram, the LGT Grand Inquisitor *inspired* lightsaber. I knew this would happen. I knew I'd finish this costume and then with the release of Kenobi someone would finally make the Grand Inquisitor lightsaber for real. I just thought it would be the live action version and not rebels version. But here we are. So surprise I bought it. Dark Wolf had the best price I could find for it at $650 for a xeno pixel. I still have no idea what the difference between a xeno and a proffie is but I wanted to save $100 and try it out. My opinions on this saber... It's cool but could be better. Not as much of a fan of the xeno pixel option vs the proffie. The effects are all the same like clash and tip drag and fonts are all the same pretty much, but the proffie does a much better job executing these effects. For example on the proffie for clash effect, hold the button and hit the blade and it will clash until you release the button, and the sound will resonate for an extra second like a thunder clap. With the xeno option the sound just stops abruptly when you release the button. Same difference with the other effects as well. Just seems to me like even with the price difference, it doesn't seem like the sounds should be this different especially with it still being expensive. The hilt itself I think looks very nice. It's not a replica but inspired so I know it looks different than the show. Mostly the polished aluminum shouldn't be a thing here. The hilt should be a gun metal, dark grey, not polished aluminum. Besides that, looks-wise, it's a nice hilt. It folds and has the red buttons (fake buttons) on either side. There is a squeak sound on mine that I can't figure out where its coming from. Either squeaking in the chassis or on the metal shroud around the grip, I'm not sure. There are several moving parts on this hilt so I guess that is to be expected. One concern I do have is for the battery life. I have not found an option on the xeno pixel that will tell me the battery percentage like the proffie does. And with this being two blades on a single battery I fear it will not last nearly as long. I've noticed after playing with it for a while, changing fonts over and over and playing music on it, the top blade tends to not light properly after a while. Like its too much to keep both blades going especially with the music also playing. Maybe its a connection issue to the blade but idk. Also have found that if opening and closing the rings this sometimes makes the blade connection go bad because of how it all screws together. So overall, it's a really nice one, but some things could function better especially for this price. And for it being the ONLY metal hilt Grand Inquisitor lightsaber, probably everyone in this group should get one. 

98b13335d59389a06714f70e7a5b2e1a.jpg

• Like 2

Very great progress! I have that inquisitor saber too it's very cool!  The only difference between Xeno and Proffie is the proffie has more custom animation effects for the blade.  Wattos Junkyard is releasing a grand inquisitor hilt from the Kenobi series I'm hoping to grab soon!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 2:10 PM, Trachta said:

Very great progress! I have that inquisitor saber too it's very cool!  The only difference between Xeno and Proffie is the proffie has more custom animation effects for the blade.  Wattos Junkyard is releasing a grand inquisitor hilt from the Kenobi series I'm hoping to grab soon!

I just saw that! It looks nice. Yes, that is what I have learned is the difference between the two lightsaber boards. Just is a shame the xeno doesn't have the same clean transition from effect back to smooth humming. 

I like the paint on the collar. Mine doesn't have that, but I would be interested in adding it later. I also want that saber lol. His saber is one of the reasons I wanted to do this costume. I was going to get that one and try and weather it.  So, would you say the proffie version is worth the extra $$$? 

I like the paint on the collar. Mine doesn't have that, but I would be interested in adding it later. I also want that saber lol. His saber is one of the reasons I wanted to do this costume. I was going to get that one and try and weather it.  So, would you say the proffie version is worth the extra $$$? 

Yeah the paint on the collar is not called out on the crl but it is absolutely present in the show. As for the saber, xeno vs proffie. It’s already an expensive saber. Unless you will be customizing it a lot more for the fonts then sure get the proffie. For me I decided not to because it is a face character so as long as I have it as a red blade 99% of the time then I’m all good with that. The effects transitions as I have mentioned could be better for the price but that’s my only gripe. The gesture controls on the xeno are quite fun to play with in front of fans I will say. I do not know if a proffie has gesture capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished Helmet

Updates finally... I've been done with this costume for a while now but with it's inclusion into the new CRL I gotta finish this wip thread. This helmet was a challenge ngl. As mentioned earlier, I cut the neck away so it can actually fit onto a human head. It hinges in the back with a nylon webbing strap that is glued in and then locks in around my jaw with magnets. Putting it on requires a second person to hold the helmet while I spread the neck around my own. And once it's on, it's on. After this the collar of the armor can be put on which also takes some finagling. The helmet does in fact fit right inside the collar like in the show, and as you can imagine there is absolutely no head movement at this point. It's essentially like wearing a neck brace. But this is accurate for the show Being that the only time the Grand Inquisitor wears the helmet is when he's flying his tie fighter, this is exactly the way tie pilots act in that their hoses are meant to retain head movement. And being a tie pilot myself I can confirm that those hoses are stiff. 
 be162dfbf30902f0382d14629f45d59d.jpg

b7b8cc1eb8dd0e3d2da3b972c073cff8.jpg

6c6f3156a3b0960a394955d3f50d9dea.jpg

494cb05d08b082542f04f7e98123f86e.jpg

Painting the helmet was pretty straight forward, nothing too crazy going on here. The biggest detail that I think could be missed is the ears are not completely grey. Taking a closer look, the face of the ears is of course grey but this only extends to the radius of the edge and NOT along the sides of the ears. Looking at the detail on the forehead, the two half rounds end in points facing down. And the small blob on top is a stout raindrop shape also with its point facing down. I freehanded these details with the same silver as for the pin striping on the armor. I will point out that the top half round is wider at its start and tapers off as it gets closer to the pointed bottom. All the weathering is the same as I did on the armor which is rolling a ball of tape over the wet surface which irregularly reveals the grey metal basecoat. I may go over the whole kit later with brushed on Elmers glue which will give it that hazy, dirty look like in the show. A very similar look to the character models in Battlefront 2. 

bac4d2dfa4d642232ed496a077fcc454.jpg

710e3f7614e780eb5adfa6163d69c9f0.jpg

f946a3bbba7df50b4647b4f42072415d.jpg

2f80a85fe523be493580f69c9a4fe6c0.jpg

The lens is RED! Finally. I've stared at this image for a long time and I think I've figured it out. I know the argument that there are red lights shining in the tie fighter so that must be what's making the lens appear red, HOWEVER those red lights are not what is shining and reflecting on the face of his helmet. There is clearly a bright, direct, white light shining on his face in this scene. This white light is reflecting in the lens and showing its true color, red. In the scene where the GI is walking in the hanger holding his helmet under his arm, the lens appears black. This is the same way a stormtrooper helmet appears, when not in a direct light source it appears black but as we all know and love the stormtrooper has a green lens. I would also argue that it would be acceptable for the wearer's eyes to still show if under direct lighting conditions because you can see the glow of his yellow eyes here as well. Very subtle though. 

d4b4416a65e8e06ded94546dd0e0d6ee.png

125ef77080ba52819b5dc62e87db811d.png

879e369203b595079f79d92456039e28.png

6df89c58450ea3412aad4dbabf72782e.png

9e16b172768c521d3eb80c54e7752ea9.png

Belt

Really straight forward. This I fabricated from sheet aluminum. Gave it a slight curve in the sheet metal roller. Same dimensions as a standard officer's belt, about 3 x 4 inches and the extra little rectangle glued on the left side. I engraved the circle with my dremel and it's being held with velcro to keep it easy. 2 inch black leather for the belt part. 

0173736ecc7e06f6d522580712d75af7.jpg

46fa963c6824a04102c82e8122751277.jpg

b8e4e77427e292de6edf1bb308bea071.jpg

Boots

Now with the CRL update gone is the greaves and in is the ankle ring *and everyone cheers*. This is literally just craft foam to get the shape correct and laminated to black vinyl to match the leather boots. My current boots as listed in my first breakdown post here are Crowprops officer boots and I gotta say Crowprops has been pretty hit or miss for me. My TK boots are perfect but my jackboots and now these officer boots are just massive on me. Not too sure what the deal is because they ask for very specific measurements. So i'm looking for replacements now but bottom line is the Grand Inquisitor wears officer boots with an ankle ring. 

f7927d60b1691687e40ddf4a486634bd.jpg

0374dcbcaaf8612023d0d48167bac118.jpg

c2d660ba1df912d4558261c9c95b6af0.jpg

9b821afba8e9eb3b60792f041a565815.jpg

4a93431d35e5e63f69f8580750d18f8a.jpg

b84fd31bb894c219c5f7fe5ca03216d3.jpg

C2E2 2022 with the actual inquisitors and daddy Vader. Tbh I don't think Rupert recognized me as the Grand Inquisitor but they were both excited to see us. 

7d156d8914950e5d75f77d063c423518.jpeg

Chicago Wolves game 2023 with the squad. Lightsaber died within an hour or two of being turned on. Not sure what's up with that but my guess is because it is a single core running two pixel blades it's just too much to handle. 

280a4b4d3dbc6727b581816f4926bed6.jpg

CRL pic. 

fa5898c87cdc1bf3fbb4a81ff1ae2cb0.jpg

So you can see how much the red lens can change from red to black depending on the lighting. And how the chest and vambrace lights change in camera. After 3 troops in this costume I gotta say it's really not the most easy to wear. Collar comes off as I intended so I can actually move my head around which is nice at least. But the shape of the chest armor is surprisingly awkward. The stl files are all very nice looking but wearability could be better. That's the problem with some of these 3d printable armor sets, the artist probably isn't the one printing and wearing the model so they don't know exactly how it will fit and function. They are very thick models which makes things heavy and tight. And if wearing the collar with the helmet it forces my back and neck to be stretched up the entire time while my shoulders are pressing down to make enough room for the helmet and collar to mate up. In a shocking comparison I also perform as C-3PO and I'm not kidding when I say I am almost more comfortable wearing the droid than wearing this inquisitor. But still it is a really cool costume to see at events. Imposing yet familiar. I have been recognized as an "inquisitor" but also as I predicted "vader" and "that guy". So not too bad. 

• Like 1