• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Live action Third Sister (Reva) build

Officercato

Gio currently has a 6-8 month wait on custom orders at the moment.

I'm a little bit worried about the seam in the front of the boot there, the LMO team can be picky.

20 minutes ago, Officercato said:

These might work. Would need to cut down the shaft and the toe isn’t as round as the Harley boots.

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/product/prescott-jackboots/

32DF0585-4C08-43AB-8FBB-E49594F80E52.webp.6794eb8f7ed15b8a5836ee0b82137caa.webp

Just now, Trachta said:

Gio currently has a 6-8 month wait on custom orders at the moment.

I'm a little bit worried about the seam in the front of the boot there, the LMO team can be picky.

The shaft will be covered. The Reva boot shaft has a wrap around piece of leather. The seam would be hidden.  I don’t plan to use any boots I find “as is”.

• Like 1

Great research so far! Can't contribute much to this as a lot has already been said, but I noticed in your original post that you commented on the webbing under the belt - as someone who saw the costume at Celebration, they all had that, and it was to hold the costumes upright and attached to the stands. So, not an actual part of the screen used costume. Here's a picture of it on Fourth Sister.

IMG_7528.JPEG

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 5:56 AM, Officercato said:

Materials and technique research

Ill source the leather locally, but I found a nice selection of thin neoprene and wool crepe

neoprene - https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Fabric-Wetsuit-Material-Stretch/dp/B089F69MPJ/

crepe - https://www.denverfabrics.com/p197701_apparel-designer-fabrics-wool-crepe-black-wool-crepe

I’m still searching for some boots that I can use as a base.

I found a great video on high density printing. I’ll be using that technique to create the striped pattern.

Can you please share the video for how to do the high density printing? Thanks!

The high density printing is done in layers with flash heating between passes. I’ve been piecing together process bit by bit. People are so closed lipped about it.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, keenkyber said:

Great research so far! Can't contribute much to this as a lot has already been said, but I noticed in your original post that you commented on the webbing under the belt - as someone who saw the costume at Celebration, they all had that, and it was to hold the costumes upright and attached to the stands. So, not an actual part of the screen used costume. Here's a picture of it on Fourth Sister.

IMG_7528.JPEG

Thanks! My friend that took the pictures said the same so I’ll consider that confirmed. :)

Dropping these in here in case you haven’t seen them! Moses Ingram posted some BTS on her Instagram stories today including some shots that show how the costume layers. Hope they help!B77FEF55-3C49-4FCA-99B8-EEF9ADACA08D.thumb.png.7bb573fde5723f1c0155a89342876ebb.png9E8C5C76-F575-40E9-89E8-2076F6DD7E73.thumb.png.16e9f8a89c3bac05b271076bf75217f2.png

• Like 3

These are incredibly helpful. thank you! I had guessed that the tunic was integrated in the body suit. Those straps are probably for the cape which answered another question I had. I’m hoping to start collecting materials in the next month. I’ve been swamped with moving and fixing things up at the new place.

Edited by Officercato

Collectors outpost has started selling what I believe are 1:1 scale replicas of the grand inquisitor pin, I think this would be cool for Reva since she wears it as well at one point. 

https://mycollectorsoutpost.com/products/grand-inquisitor-symbol-star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-enamel-pin

bAd94cp.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Officercato said:

Where did you source the jersey? That looks promising.

The online fabric store https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/black-cotton-jersey-knit-fabric-.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlK-WBhDjARIsAO2sErR0yhuDjsRFa9AN3hWvuXlrI9-pc-fe5ej2pUoQnOvDeqGsX_LdEW4aAkI0EALw_wcB

I’m back! Been a crazy summer. :) Bought fabric for my costume. I decided to go with 1mm neoprene because knit didn’t have the right texture or drape. Now I’m searching local print shops to find one that will make screens for me. I don’t mind doing the printing, but I don’t want to stock up on supplies for a hobby I’m not going to actually do.  I’ll probably buy my boots next. image.thumb.jpg.2e70f3fb262777c7cf7ac9d03954d938.jpg

• Like 2

The majority of my fabrics are on the way!! I'm getting pretty excited. Ordered my boots today too. I'll be sourcing leather locally, so I'm going to wait until I have the undersuit and cape done before I jump into that part. 

I do have a question and wanted get some opinions. I've gone back and forth about the printing. I still strongly believe that it is high density printing, but would it be unapprovable if I went with a basic flat print? Finding local sources to either create screens for me or to do the printing hasn't been very successful and I may never get this done at this rate.  There are plenty of screen printing companies, but not that are willing to do this kind of custom work. I wanted to do it all myself, but I just can't justfify the expense to buy all the equipment needed to do it since I'll never screen print again after this. 

Thoughts? Should I go for a typical screen print and not worry about the slightly raised effect? I could also fake the dimension a little with some paint which I wouldn't have an issue doing. 

@DarthValkyria    

@Trachta

?

Edited by Officercato

29 minutes ago, Officercato said:

The majority of my fabrics are on the way!! I'm getting pretty excited. Ordered my boots today too. I'll be sourcing leather locally, so I'm going to wait until I have the undersuit and cape done before I jump into that part. 

I do have a question and wanted get some opinions. I've gone back and forth about the printing. I still strongly believe that it is high density printing, but would it be unapprovable if I went with a basic flat print? Finding local sources to either create screens for me or to do the printing hasn't been very successful and I may never get this done at this rate.  There are plenty of screen printing companies, but not that are willing to do this kind of custom work. I wanted to do it all myself, but I just can't justfify the expense to buy all the equipment needed to do it since I'll never screen print again after this. 

Thoughts? Should I go for a typical screen print and not worry about the slightly raised effect? I could also fake the dimension a little with some paint which I wouldn't have an issue doing. 

@DarthValkyria    

@Trachta

?

I came across the same issue when reaching out to screen printers, none of them wanted to touch it, usually because it was so large.  I went with the flat route after learning that raised print pattern would be near impossible to recreate without the highly specialized machines at Quantum FXs. They made the fabrics with a special kind of 3d printer.  My flat print came out just as good. 

ndXD0y2.jpg

Edited by Trachta

3 hours ago, Trachta said:

I came across the same issue when reaching out to screen printers, none of them wanted to touch it, usually because it was so large.  I went with the flat route after learning that raised print pattern would be near impossible to recreate without the highly specialized machines at Quantum FXs. They made the fabrics with a special kind of 3d printer.  My flat print came out just as good. 

ndXD0y2.jpg

Did you use a local printer for this, or was it online?I need to create the files, but finding a service I can send fabric to would be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Officercato said:

Did you use a local printer for this, or was it online?I need to create the files, but finding a service I can send fabric to would be great.

I used Joanns fabrics online for printing. I tried other services like Spoon flower and print fab but Joanns was the only one that provided a shiny satin that I needed to give it a reflective look. 

https://www.joann.com/customizable-fabric/

On 6/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, keenkyber said:

Dropping these in here in case you haven’t seen them! Moses Ingram posted some BTS on her Instagram stories today including some shots that show how the costume layers. Hope they help!B77FEF55-3C49-4FCA-99B8-EEF9ADACA08D.thumb.png.7bb573fde5723f1c0155a89342876ebb.png9E8C5C76-F575-40E9-89E8-2076F6DD7E73.thumb.png.16e9f8a89c3bac05b271076bf75217f2.png

4 kB · 2 downloads

By chance @keenkyberdo you have a higher resoultion option for the front image? I'm still torn on whether or not to make the body suit one piece with the a zipper in teh back and the tunic a separate pieces with the zipper in teh front covered by that rubber piece. Trying to see the top of the tunic, but it's a bit fuzzy and my eyes are bad. 

Great find by @Trachta! Custom belt for Reva on Etsy. I’ll  need to customize it a bit to make it more accurate, but it’s one less thing to build myself. :)35B329E2-68E8-4091-82E8-2A93B67BB5FB.thumb.png.cbd88eab92e3291b0c4ea275df73a89c.png 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1265073920/third-sister-belt-reva?click_key=53f5f3b76d0ba3cedeaf7830e93173ef209efb8d%3A1265073920&click_sum=3cff8fd3&ref=shop_home_active_29&sts=1

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 4:27 PM, Officercato said:

By chance @keenkyberdo you have a higher resoultion option for the front image? I'm still torn on whether or not to make the body suit one piece with the a zipper in teh back and the tunic a separate pieces with the zipper in teh front covered by that rubber piece. Trying to see the top of the tunic, but it's a bit fuzzy and my eyes are bad. 

I don't, unfortunately - they were grabbed from pausing a video. It looks there though, best as I can tell, that the zipper's in the back of that piece.