• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Live Action (Kenobi) Grand Inquisitor Build

Hi everyone!  I'm starting a build thread for the live-action Grand Inquisitor.  We still need a back shot of him for a full 360.  I have most of the fabrics so far in hands with some in the mail still. 

Reference Images:

CtiuKLq.jpg

cpV6j3p.png

aMA6bcq.jpg

3SRMdYw.jpg

gM6s3yu.jpg

Sleeves, Pants, and Shirt:

sh5XACD.jpg

The sleeves are a heavy cotton/ canvas fabric and in a similar style to Kylo Rens's sleeves.  As far as we can tell there are no zippers on the inside of these.  Also, these are not waxed.  The pleats appear to be around an inch long each though not all of them are exactly equal, which implies it was handmade.  The sleeves are a Dark grey or "aluminum color" and match the smooth section of the vest/shirt in color.  The Vest/Shirt also does appear to be heavy cotton/canvas fabric with the pleats being a lighter shade.  There are 13 pleats with the 6 pleats on each side facing one direction with a central pleat in the center facing both directions.

LymSblF.jpg

A6nJhVl.jpg

I'm not 100% positive but it appears there is a zipper on the side of the Inquisitor's left side of his shirt/vest.  The pants are also heavy cotton or canvas fabric in the Jodhpur variety.  I own a pair of Jodhpurs that very closely matches his, though they are a shade off so I will need to darken it a little bit.  The Jodhpurs look to be smushed into the thigh armor plates. 

xAQowzL.jpg

My eyes might be playing tricks on me but I believe the Jodhpurs and vest pleats are the same color of light-dark grey, with the sleeves and inner vest being a darker dark grey. 

Cape:

The cape gathers on the shoulders and drapes down behind the Inquisitor.  It appears to be attached to the chest plate, either on top or underneath it, while being pinched by the back pate. The outer layer of the cape is what I think is a black boiled wool fabric as indicated by the Third Sisters (Reva) cape though I could use a Fabrics expert's help on this.

zTyCkVt.jpg

29MIWg0.jpg

The inner layer of the cape is a red embossed fabric round dot fabric:

lZMVJWX.jpg

I initially thought it was a gold-on-red design but that is a sheen on the design due to lights reflecting on it.  As seen on the other side with more light being reflected.

pc5XIZ5.jpg

So the fabric is a Red on Red with possibly a rubber coat or texture on it.  I found this exact fabric in black and with a little photoshop, it looks like a dead match in red.  I have red upholstery paint that I plan to use on it when it arrives tomorrow.

0PMSGXi.jpg

As seen in the Kenobi trailer as the Grand inquisitor walks and the cape flows in the wind, the cape is not attached to the bottom of the liner. Though the cape and liner are attached via the sides.

Boots Neck seal, and Gloves:

The gloves appear to be simple black gloves with thin leather that is quilted/ribbed on the top.  The index and pinky fingers have a wider rib panel.  The panel also goes halfway up each finger except the thumb.  Also on each finger, the ribs only go so far up.

nnrpoKi.jpg

The boots are Officer / equestrian style boots in black leather. 

JIYTBxn.jpg

The neck seal is very similar in design to a TK one but the ribbing extends further down onto the chest and shoulders like a dicky.  There is also a flare seen on it at the top.

RXMx9Q8.jpg

I have a dusty black rubber fabric I intend to use to make this.  The lines are also irregular.

That is as far as I've gotten so far, still working out the head and armor. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AphraCat said:

Phenomenal work already. (As always)
Can't wait to see this one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm hoping to speed through this one as so many references are already available at the moment.  I was so incredibly lucky to find the liner to the cape. 

• Like 1

After about 7 attempts and samples used, I think I found a technique for the cape liner that works.  3-4 layers of plasti dip and fabric paint (or acrylic) yielded the best results for changing the fabric to red.  I have thought about bleaching it, but it's 98% polyester, and I was worried it would destroy the fabric or do nothing.  

KGBkq6j.jpg

• Like 1

It does look to me like the cape is attached in between the chest and the back. Until we get a shot of his back I wonder how it gathers at the shoulders because of how the lightsaber mounts to his back? That fabric you found looks very close, but it almost looks like each circle is connected by a line in between. But that could also just be the zoomed in picture. 

Definitely agree the pleats on the shirt are 6 pleats facing left and 6 right with the central going both ways. I'm guessing the seam on the side panel is just a normal shirt seam but it could definitely be a zipper like you said. There could also be zippers hidden under the forearms. On the pants directly below the red button of the belt there is a dart which means there would be a matching dart of the right side of the pants as well. I'm not sure if a dart would be a CRL requirement or not because smaller pant sizes don't usually require them for proper fitment but I'm just pointing it out. And it is super hard to tell from the images we've seen so far but I'm wondering if the pants color matches the sleeve and side panels while the shirt pleats are the only lighter colored fabric. This would be unlike the Rebels animated version where the pants color matches the pleats while the sleeves and side panels being the darker color. 

Great research so far, I'm excited to see this guy in live action😄

• Like 1

Went ahead and bought some custom-made fabric, it's printed though it looks so incredibly close. I'm going to give it a gloss or semi-gloss coat for the reflectivity. 

GXAihyK.jpg

Edited by Trachta

5 hours ago, KaiserintheHood said:

It does look to me like the cape is attached in between the chest and the back. Until we get a shot of his back I wonder how it gathers at the shoulders because of how the lightsaber mounts to his back? That fabric you found looks very close, but it almost looks like each circle is connected by a line in between. But that could also just be the zoomed in picture. 

Definitely agree the pleats on the shirt are 6 pleats facing left and 6 right with the central going both ways. I'm guessing the seam on the side panel is just a normal shirt seam but it could definitely be a zipper like you said. There could also be zippers hidden under the forearms. On the pants directly below the red button of the belt there is a dart which means there would be a matching dart of the right side of the pants as well. I'm not sure if a dart would be a CRL requirement or not because smaller pant sizes don't usually require them for proper fitment but I'm just pointing it out. And it is super hard to tell from the images we've seen so far but I'm wondering if the pants color matches the sleeve and side panels while the shirt pleats are the only lighter colored fabric. This would be unlike the Rebels animated version where the pants color matches the pleats while the sleeves and side panels being the darker color. 

Great research so far, I'm excited to see this guy in live action😄

Sounds like the pleats are just like Revan's cape! Left and right facing knife pleats, and a single box pleat formed from them in the middle.

Also, given that it is a real world reference, yes, darts are required to match for CRL if they are present on the actual character.

• Like 1

So I have 2 custom fabrics in the works, one is a Twill and the other is a Classic Poly.  I'm thinking the classic poly might be the best as it supposedly is great for cape liners and also has a slight sheen to it to reflect light. 

New reference image of the Grand Inquisitor! 

He appears to have a back plate

cqDdXiz.jpg

Also in the EW interview with Rupert Friend, he said the cape was weighted with chains.  In my theater days, the large velvet black curtains in the wings were weighted with chains at the bottom so I'm assuming it's the same. 

7H2EeNe.jpg

Scored some very nice wool fabric today while running errands.  Also picked up some fabric weights and chains.  I'm thinking the weights (Lead) might be better than the chains as it remains silent in movements. 

IsCxg2T.jpg

After some obsessive viewing of the Kenobi trailer, I've determined that the Grand Inquisitors' cape liner is a leather-like fabric, based on the sheen and the way it looks.  It looks too heavy and stiff to be satin or silk. 

f5J7Fzp.jpg

Edited by Trachta

Ripping my hair out.  After several tests, there's no possible way it can be leather or faux leather of any kind due to movement.  It has got to be a high luster Satin or a PLU laminate.

12 hours ago, Trachta said:

Ripping my hair out.  After several tests, there's no possible way it can be leather or faux leather of any kind due to movement.  It has got to be a high luster Satin or a PLU laminate.

Have you tried a rubber cast?  Maybe just do a small square and see what result you get. Or even resin with a semi-gloss finish?

8 hours ago, Officercato said:

Have you tried a rubber cast?  Maybe just do a small square and see what result you get. Or even resin with a semi-gloss finish?

Wouldn't resin make fabric rock hard?

On 5/23/2022 at 8:00 AM, Trachta said:

My guess between those two would be a PLU type of fabric

3 minutes ago, Trachta said:

I did!  I took over 400 photos of all the inquisitor costumes

Sb0qB6q.jpg

Oh good! I felt guilty that I didn’t ask my friend to take some for you. So looks like you’ll be printing too. :)

1 hour ago, Officercato said:

Oh good! I felt guilty that I didn’t ask my friend to take some for you. So looks like you’ll be printing too. :)

I'm thinking of doing plain fabric printed, with a coat of urethane as you suggested above to give it the glossy look. 

15 hours ago, Trachta said:

I'm thinking of doing plain fabric printed, with a coat of urethane as you suggested above to give it the glossy look. 

Are you planing to screen print? There are some glossy options. I’m not familiar with urethane though. Does it maintain the flexibility of the fabric?

Edited by Officercato