• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Any backlit visor tutorial?

From the CTL of the Second Sister: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:DS_Second_Sister

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Visor is backlit and is properly diffused. (red).

Backlit visor is so badass!

For my clone I used EL wire...EL wire is really easy to use and can be cut to length to run around the entire perimeter of the lens. 

The one downside to EL wire is that some people hear the quiet ringing which is a function of the EL wire that makes it work. Not everyone can it tho (I've spent too many hours on the gun range and my tinitus blocks it out), but it is there. As for diffusion, I'm not sure how to accomplish that and keep the visor see thru. you can sand the the outside of the EL wire to make it more opaque rather than clear and sanding the edge of the visor before you glue the EL wire in place might also help. I would also recommend that you put black electrical tape on the inside, covering the EL wire completely. The reason for this is 2-fold, it keeps the light off your face and in the dark and it also keeps the light out of your eyes so you can still see out of the visor.

Hopefully this helps, please feel free to reach out if you have specific questions

On 4/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, Naasad Tal said:

For my clone I used EL wire...EL wire is really easy to use and can be cut to length to run around the entire perimeter of the lens. 

The one downside to EL wire is that some people hear the quiet ringing which is a function of the EL wire that makes it work. Not everyone can it tho (I've spent too many hours on the gun range and my tinitus blocks it out), but it is there. As for diffusion, I'm not sure how to accomplish that and keep the visor see thru. you can sand the the outside of the EL wire to make it more opaque rather than clear and sanding the edge of the visor before you glue the EL wire in place might also help. I would also recommend that you put black electrical tape on the inside, covering the EL wire completely. The reason for this is 2-fold, it keeps the light off your face and in the dark and it also keeps the light out of your eyes so you can still see out of the visor.

Hopefully this helps, please feel free to reach out if you have specific questions

I've already bought an EL wire but it seems to be low light :( I can make a LED circuit for solving the problem.
The big problem is shaping the visor if I use acrylic sheet
!

But since I love Clones, i would like to see it 💖

On 4/18/2022 at 11:53 PM, DarthTamas said:

I've already bought an EL wire but it seems to be low light :( I can make a LED circuit for solving the problem.
The big problem is shaping the visor if I use acrylic sheet
!

But since I love Clones, i would like to see it 💖

Ya, EL wire is pretty dim. The 3mm stuff is sufficiently bright tho, especially on smaller visors...A pixel strip would definitely be better if you can get it diffused properly to avoid the corncob effect.

My original clone visor was a clear face shield that I put mirrored blue tint on. The tint didn't work out so well so I ended up going with a mirrored scorpion motorcycle visor. Per request, here's a close up pic of my clone helmet. Compared to the Christmas lights in my shoulder attachment, the EL above my visor is pretty dim, but it still gets the job done

RC-18015 2.jpg

The EL wire seems to be placed between the visor and the helmet, not inside the visor? If so, dont know if this will work since the CRL is pretty clear whit "backlit". But I can try! Thank you :)

Yes, mine is set up between the visor and the helmet, but a lot of people put it above the visor and it's never even seen (this is something I will probably do for mine eventually)