• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lord Starkiller [Hoth] WIP

DrakarV

Hello everyone, I am a former Mandalorian Merc and recently began a Lord Starkiller build with the intents to join the 501st and switch up my cosplay goals. Going to use this thread to document my build and also hopefully gain some valuable insight from others who have completed this kit already.

List of items to meet CRL approval standards and status:

Helmet - Ordered from Wicked Armor.

Braid - Not started.

Jumpsuit - Received from Custom Props.

Shoulder Armor - 3D modeled and printed both pauldrons and shoulder parts. Ready for painting.

Back LED display - 3D Modeled, resin printed, need to sand and prime.

Back LED electronics - Ready to print clear red resin display piece. Electronics already procured.

Upper back "spine" piece - 3D modeled, will be printing the 5 parts separately and attaching to a leather strap in order for them to be able to move like segments, much like the game reference. Backup plan is a static single piece prop.

Lower back "spine" - 3D modeled the tabs and middle "spine" part. Printed, ready to paint and rig up to sintra "wings" for attaching. Will be using elastic cordage to aid in attaching "rib vest."

Gloves - Received, need to add cables.

Glove cables - Not started. Need to source these out from local materials.

Finger blades - 3D Modeled, printed and ready for paint.

"Rib vest" - Not started. Ordered plastic mesh needlepoint sheets to attempt to use with thin leather to make ribs and also hold rigidity.

Belt and Belt "buckle" - 3D modeled belt buckle and printed. Ready for paint. Obtained 1.75" leather belt.

Lightsaber trophies - 3D modeled Rahm Kota, Kazdan Paratus pike, and Starkiller sabers. Printed Kota and Kazdan, ready for paint. Waiting on machined rods for Starkiller before printing. Obtained 2011 hasbro maul saber that will be converted for trophy. Need to find Vader option.

Skirt - Not started. Will be looking for lightweight leather to use for this, something thin preferably to give a flowing effect.

Belt groin flap - Not started. Will make this once skirt leather is obtained.

Boots - Obtained "gotham" brand to convert into screen accurate version with ribbing.

Starkiller Lightsaber [UltraSabers] Obtained from Ultrasabers.

Below is the helmet file I bought to use along with the shoulder armor parts I modeled:

R4WPNS0.jpg103ekIS.jpg

8ZmrcfZ.jpg

Rj3JWQY.jpg?1

The finger rings I test printed:

vbDnj2I.jpgQN3CxGc.jpg

Some questions I have for others that have done this kit:

How did you go about attaching the shoulder armor parts with the back box? And, the rib vest- what have others found the most viable way to rig this up to put on/take off?

Edited by DrakarV
Updating log

Started the long process of smoothing out the shoulder pieces. Used some epoxy resin to coat the rough areas where filament overhangs occurred. These will see multiple layers of filler primer and bondo spot putty, until completely smooth and all print lines are eliminated. Will use sculpting puddy to rebuild sharp edges of the shoulder armor contours where overhangs were a bit of a mess. The one good thing about having to source out jumpsuit and other parts is it gives me quite a while to focus on making stuff like this perfect. Electronics for shoulder pauldron lights arrived today also. Also spoke to Wicked Armor about setting up an order for the gloves. Just awaiting a paypal invoice to complete and get that going. Probably will not be receiving soft parts until January-ish, but plan on having most of the armor complete by then.

3D printed the back box to test for appropriate sizing, though everything so far has looked good. Will reprint the back box in resin for a more high definition finish.

t6WaJED.jpghMSBljK.jpg

• Like 1

First layer of heavy filler primer and followed with thick coating of bondo spot puddy has been applied and sanded off. Coated with 3 more layers of filler primer and will let sit until Saturday then will wet sand and hopefully achieve majority of smoothness before needing to fix problem spots in the groove channel and few small areas on the edges that need some TLC.

1gB3O2S.jpg?1XqHU7Ol.jpg?1

First set of finger blades have been printed and test fitted with the finger rings. They snap into place as expected and should meet the CRL requirements in length. Have started printing the second set and will begin smoothing out print lines/rough edges next week. I hollowed these out to fit a 1/8" metal rod inside to give them strength from snapping, but also printed at 100% infil at .1 layer height so these should be super strong when its all said and done. Have contacted a third person about the gloves since lack of responses from the first 2, and waiting to see if this new person will be able to start on them.

DS2x557.jpg?1QuTgaYP.jpg?12M7RTD6.jpg?1r0iVYDY.jpg?18ggzKZZ.jpg?1

Lower back "spine corset" is modeled and will be printing once I do another fit test with shoulders and back plate to ensure length is proper on the lower back spine. Will be using 1/8" plexiglass or aluminum for the "wings" and secure the cordage tabs along it with small wooden dowels cut to fit into the holes I will punch through the wings. Epoxy filled and sanded smooth should secure the tabs to the wings, and will be running two 3/16" metal rods into the holes I bored in the middle spine part to give it strength from snapping.

16347e6fe5df25cc4757eb6f328f50cb.png3ea43d774d5b75755f99f929148c3ff0.png

d44d6161439d607b9b1a679573b7cac0.png

• Like 2

Just a head's up, we only have 1 active approved member with this costume, so specific assistance will be very limited. BUT, we can do our best to assist with any build questions.

• Like 2

Thank you for letting me know. I should be fine, as I have quite a bit of experience building and making things work. I appreciate any help I can get.

Also, to update the thread, I have now found someone that will be making the gloves and got that process started.

I've modeled the belt buckle and ordered the leather strap needed. Buttons/switches for the belt have been printed and will be printing the buckle itself during the week. I have a cut out on the back side of the belt that will allow for the belt ends to meet and connect via snaps and sewed on velcro. At the bottom of the belt I modeled a slot for the leather piece that dangles to be inserted, and have holes meant to secure it via screws.

fe376b9236147cc1079e8308b046e790.png580a41a6e2a541bd55067310fa37202f.png

I had some orange peeling going on with the shoulder armor, but have meticulously sanded/re-bondo'd/primer/sanded until these were removed and have been slowly coating with more Krylon primer with some time in between coats to ensure no more peeling happens. I still have a few small spots to fix alongside the grooves but plan on doing that once the overall smoothness is achieved and cured for a few days. Hoping by the weekend to have it ready for paint layering.

• Like 1

Looks awesome mate, looking forward to see the ene results, yesterday was my first troop as lord starkiller and you will have a great time spooking people1894dcc0ef680e26ed738b65ac938a7c.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-M205FN mediante Tapatalk

Your kit looks great! Thanks for the kind words.

Belt has been printed and currently going through some sanding and primer layers until fully smoothed out. Printed in Resin so this should be done and ready for paint by tomorrow night. Used some bondo spot puddy on the shoulder parts to take care of a few divots in the smooth shell and will be addressing the two small touchup areas in the grooves tomorrow night using some plastic metal to help build up the edge to make it more defined. Will post before and after pictures once that is complete. Aiming to begin paint layering Saturday.
Once I get one layer of lighter silver down on the shoulder plates, I plan on rigging it up temporarily to check for the spacing needed on the backbox before I set it to print. Want to get an accurate measurement mock up and also use this opportunity to get the proper size needed for the back of the spine part so I can begin printing that also.

uy40FTc.jpg2Ez5nki.jpg

Thank you. I am still working on this, albit a bit slowly as I navigate some RL roadblocks, but my jumpsuit is in production and gloves as well so looking like I will have most of my tailored items by January and helmet as well.

I actually will be releasing them on my etsy shop once I reopen it in a few weeks. I got to fine tune a few models before I do. I don't own the helmet file however.

For those that were interested in the 3d files I made for this build, they are now live on my etsy shop - https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarlordArsenal

Also, I have recently received both the jumpsuit and the gloves for this build. My buddy is currently printing my helmet, but I will need to get the suit tailored to fit better. It was a bit larger than what the measurements I provided to the Custom Props folks, but luckily I have a friend who can alter it to fit me better. Hoping to continue this build next month.

Looking forward to see more updates, even thinking about purchasing your finger blades mate, 

Going full leather for the suit right?.

best regards.

Joak

Sad news then... was looking pretty sharp... take your time and choose whatever is best for you mate.

Enviado desde mi SM-G780G mediante Tapatalk

I don't myself in that situation here and there. In those times, you really have to think on if this is something you really want, and if so, put it aside for another time until the motivation is renewed and resources are available. If not, sell it.