• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

3D Sith Acolyte Question?

Rec0n

Greetings,

Hope I’m posting in the right place. I’m looking to take the plunge & build a Darth Adraas, getting Armor and Helmet from 3D printer from etsy. (thestarforge)

Just curious of anyone as used them before? Or how much different is 3D printed items from let’s say ABS?

I have a background in AutoBody so sanding/painting are non issues.

Thanks in advance and hope to get started soon. 

Hi Joe!

I've never actually done a 3d print build of armor before, so I can't give you any advice about that. Maybe some of our other members can?  I'm including the names of two forum members who 3d printed their acolytes. I'd encourage you to reach out to them about their experiences.

I know that forum member Darth_Harold did a 3d print set of armor from DO3d.

Member PaulTR also did a 3d print build. Here is his thread.  

I’ve got the 3D Props NL armour. Haven’t started printing it yet though as I have other projects queued first.

ABS armour, specifically vacuum formed ABS armour, is more pliable and more forgiving its 3D printed equivalent in PLA, PETG or even ABS. I took a fall in my stormtrooper costume about a year ago. Apart from a few scratches, there wasn’t much damage. Had it been printed, the parts would at best have cracked, at worst shattered.

The advantage of 3D printed armour is that one can easily resize parts to ones own unique dimensions.

The strength of the parts depends on a variety of factors though, such as print material, print wall thickness, infill %, and even heat the plastic was fused at. This is in addition to how the parts are finished, e.g. spray filler/putty vs. Plastic wood filler vs. Bondo, vs. Auto car putty, vs Epoxy resin, vs UV resin.

I don’t believe there’s one best medium for our hobby. One has to pick those that one is most comfortable working with.

14 hours ago, Tarok said:

I’ve got the 3D Props NL armour. Haven’t started printing it yet though as I have other projects queued first.

ABS armour, specifically vacuum formed ABS armour, is more pliable and more forgiving its 3D printed equivalent in PLA, PETG or even ABS. I took a fall in my stormtrooper costume about a year ago. Apart from a few scratches, there wasn’t much damage. Had it been printed, the parts would at best have cracked, at worst shattered.

The advantage of 3D printed armour is that one can easily resize parts to ones own unique dimensions.

The strength of the parts depends on a variety of factors though, such as print material, print wall thickness, infill %, and even heat the plastic was fused at. This is in addition to how the parts are finished, e.g. spray filler/putty vs. Plastic wood filler vs. Bondo, vs. Auto car putty, vs Epoxy resin, vs UV resin.

I don’t believe there’s one best medium for our hobby. One has to pick those that one is most comfortable working with.

Thanks for leaving this detailed response Rudi!  I was very much hoping to see the insights of other builders.  I have a 3d printed FO-TK blaster. It was fun to assemble and paint, but I am definitely more cautious with it because I'm afraid it'll break if it gets bumped against something hard.  Once I was trooping with a fellow FO-TK. We were walking down some stairs. The blaster attached to his right thigh bumped against the railing of the stairs. It broke off his thigh holster and clattered down the steps, leaving pieces as it went.  I know a little blaster pistol is probably more fragile than larger armor pieces, but I've never forgotten that "oh no!" moment as I saw it break apart.