• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Starkiller in Tie Fighter Factory Training gear.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been working on the Starkiller Tie Fighter Factory Training gear costume.

Here are a couple of pics. I still have to weather the costume, light the gauntlet, and put the blood and damage makeup on. Also the lightsaber will be customized and light up red.

starkiller.jpg

starkiller2.jpg

starkiller4.jpg

STARKILLER3.jpg

I will post more pictures later.

I have never done a costume completly from scratch before. Making armor was a challenge and assembling the belts was laborious but I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Please tell me what you think.

John TC-2494

Guest Daritha

Awesome, buddy! You even got the hair right! :lol:

No, really. That's a great Starkiller. I'm really impressed with the obi and the belts. How far I can see it, all the d-rings and hooks are on their place. Just: The diagonal belt lies on the right hip, not the left. Have you attached the lightsaber clips yet?

I'll wait for more pictures with less light to judge the colors but the obi is a bit too light brown from my opinion. Or is this just the flashlight? I know this from my Star. The loincloth is much darker in color unless on photos with flash.

When weathering all the parts, you should consider thicken the clavicle armor. It seems a bit thin to me from your present pictures. In the process, maybe increase the collar, just a bit.

Also, I would get rid of the pants. They don't match the obi in color.

Guest SuperAzza101

I know what you mean about a scratch build. Going from a TK to this was a challenge! I love how its all coming together, great work so far. You've been hiding, i thought i was the only one currently working on TIE gear on flagship lol Love to see some more pictures. But with your belts, they look like they should be reversed???

Guest Anonymous

Thanks about the big belt, I will reverse it. They are all full dyed latigo leather. With the side belt buckles they are really heavy.

yes I have attached all the d-rings and the 4 covertech clips. I need to attach the j hook though. I have it, just need to get it attached.

Thanks for the comments!

I will dye the pants the same color as the obi.

The lights were really bright.

I can also dye the loin cloths again.

I am in the process of building up the collar piece to make it thicker.

I will airbrush the armor and make the scorch mark.

Yes I have been laying low. It has been a lot of work.

I really think your Starkiller looks great too!

I am a bigger guy so it is harder to pull off.

6' and 210 lbs.

Guest Daritha
I am a bigger guy so it is harder to pull off.

Me too, but since I noticed that all the belts are having a corsett-like effect, its getting easier. *g*

Keep us updated on your project progress! I'm looking forward to this.

Guest Anonymous

Ok.

I redyed the pants so they are closer in color to the obi. I also redyed the obi so it too is a bit darker.

I put the rivets in the armor and weathered it.

I fixed the large belt so it hangs at a jaunty angle off the correct hip.

I also dirtied up the wraps.

I am doing an informal trrop Friday night, so I will hopefully have so actual action pics to show.

Guest Anonymous

This are photos of my wife (Juno IC 6772) and my daughter and me at Con Du Lac in Lake Charles, Louisiana this past weekend.

As you can see I have made some improvements. The pants and Obi are the same color and I weathered the armor, loin cloth, and straps. I probably need to weather the belts more. How close do ya'll think I am to submission?

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Guest Daritha

You got your own personal Juno?! Awww, man. I'm so jealous! :oops:

The photos are looking good. Your Starkiller is coming along very nice. Some details, though, are needed to be corrected before I would suggest a submission to the legion:

- You need to "weather" the loin cloth a bit more aka rip it more off (just look at Starkiller's reference gallery).

- I miss the fabric straps on the upper left arm

- Your clavicle armor doesn't have a collar

I would also suggest a back shot of your costume. There are many details in the back (the lightsaber clips on the diagonal belt, many buckles on the belts, the blood stain on his back etc.)

Did you work on any special effects make-up? Some nasty blood stains and so on?

Addendum: This advice is just for the show stance. Make a fist with your hand. It looks more aggressive and you will, unconciously, stand more intimidating.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks.

I am going to make the collar.

This was not a menacing picture as I was with my wife and child. However I greatly appreciate your advice about posing. I have always worn a helmet in my other costumes.

After I fix the armor I will show some back pictures.

Hi there. Your costume has seen some great improvements, but you will still need a bit more work before it's ready to be approved. I've seen a handful of Starkiller costumes go through the approval process, so I've seen the sticking points that take the most work to finish up!

It's really cool that you're working on a his n' hers matched set of costumes. My husband and I do that, too, and I love it! I think it makes costuming twice as much fun.

Top down:

Face characters are required to have the correct hair, be it Mara's red locks or Dooku's graying beard. Starkiller has a short buzz cut, and I believe that will be required. I dont know if a bald head will be approved... for your membership pictures, you might need to grow a bit of fuzz!

Shoulder Armor. Right now your armor looks like a plate of metal that was bent and draped over the shoulders. Every approved costume I've seen was required to have a more sculpted look to the armor. It needs to look like it was designed to fit the shoulders, neck, and chest, rather than just being draped over them. I'd also need to see the back of the armor to know if the open area in the center is correct.

StarkillerShirt.jpg

The wounds on the arms will be required for your membership application pictures. I can't see if you have them or not.

The light wraps on your arms/hands need to be weathered. They should be quite similar to the wraps on your boots. The darker wraps should be a bit darker and more weathered as well.

Tatter the bottom edge of the loin cloth some more. Rip it up!

The boots need a bit of weathering as well. When everything else is dirty and worn, you don't want shiny new boots!

Overall I'd say that you're on the right track. This is a really difficult costume to make, and it just takes a bit of perseverance to get it all finished!

Pam :-)

Guest Daritha

Good points, Pam, esp. about the clavicle armor. Starkiller's should fit on the body like a glove. The two armor parts should have some lines and swings that correspond with your body. I made a paper model of my armor first and cutted it into the right shape:

34321245.th.jpg

Then I used the model as a template for the plastic parts. As you can see, in comparison with Pam's posted picture of Starkiller's armor, my armor has some organic lines and doesn't just consist of straight lines.

This was not a menacing picture as I was with my wife and child. However I greatly appreciate your advice about posing. I have always worn a helmet in my other costumes.

Copy that. Never look evil around children - unless they want. ^^ By the way: Your daughter looks so cute in her pink Jedi costume! Was this based on an informal/non-canon costume of the Rebel Legion? I know a gal over there who made a "Barbie Jedi".

This is a really difficult costume to make, and it just takes a bit of perseverance to get it all finished!
A-men, sister. Amen! :twisted:

Guest Anonymous

Thank you.

I will get to work on it. I have been busy as I am also working on my wife's Steam Punk Alice from resident Evil costume.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Guest Anonymous

I have done a lot more work on this costume. I have even grown out what little hair I have, a bit. The armor is greatly improved and the gauntlet was reworked. I weathered the straps and the loin cloths.

I will debut it Thursday night at Dragon Con.

I hope to see you all there.

Please come to the 501st mixer too. I am starting the Teras Kasi Brigade so if you have any martial arts experience, come to the mixer with your color belt or black belt.

We are going to take a group photo.