• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

starting my build

WW2Reenactor44

hi all, i got my abs pieces in from vader's vault. couple of questions:

how do you prepare the abs plastic to be painted?

what do you use as a primer?

and how do you make it weathered?

thanks for all the help in advance!

Painting weathering, can either layer different paint colours then use steel wool or very fine sand paper to wear off the top layers. 

Or use a paint masking fluid/tape/toothpaste then paint over the top then remove the mask to create larger colour changes/scratches/chips. 

A carbon rod/bar like a soft lead drawing pencil can be wiped with a cloth then the cloth wiped on your armour to add a dirty look, then a clear coat over the top to seal it on. 

Painting weathering, can either layer different paint colours then use steel wool or very fine sand paper to wear off the top layers. 
Or use a paint masking fluid/tape/toothpaste then paint over the top then remove the mask to create larger colour changes/scratches/chips. 
A carbon rod/bar like a soft lead drawing pencil can be wiped with a cloth then the cloth wiped on your armour to add a dirty look, then a clear coat over the top to seal it on. 

For the sith acolyte do you recommend black as a primer and then spray the metallic gray on top and sand it down to make it look weathered?

What about preparing the plastic so it sticks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, WW2Reenactor44 said:

For the sith acolyte do you recommend black as a primer and then spray the metallic gray on top and sand it down to make it look weathered?

What about preparing the plastic so it sticks?

I'm still building mine so have not quite got to painting it yet, (but I'm getting closer) but I was going to try silver base coat first to see how it looked. But yes essentialy what you wrote here. 

I'm not sure about what additional steps may be required for painting ABS. I'm not sure I've actually ever done it yet. 

I suspect that you may need a plastic primer of sorts but hopefully someone else can give a better idea. 

(quick google search says wash with soapy water, very fine sand with 800 grit or steel then primer) 

I'm still building mine so have not quite got to painting it yet, (but I'm getting closer) but I was going to try silver base coat first to see how it looked. But yes essentialy what you wrote here. 

I'm not sure about what additional steps may be required for painting ABS. I'm not sure I've actually ever done it yet. 
I suspect that you may need a plastic primer of sorts but hopefully someone else can give a better idea. 
(quick google search says wash with soapy water, very fine sand with 800 grit or steel then primer) 

Hey lurch did you buy your armor from mynock’s den?