• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My WA v2 KOTOR II Nihilus

Cadet

I took advantage of WA's quasi-Halloween Sale/Promotion and ordered one of their v2 KOTOR sets.  I got it in the mail today and while I was only able to do a quick try on of the parts, I am very happy with it, and will hopefully get suited up, and possibly even submission pictures tomorrow.

I do have one question, for anyone else who has this set, the Chest and cape are one piece, and there are two ties that come off the back of the chest piece.  I'm not sure exactly what to do with them.  Do I tie them togther behind my back to help keep the chest/cape up and in position, or is there something else they are intended for?

Hola,en mi armadura también venían los dos lazos para atar a la espalda pero los quité,eran un engorro.En cambio uso unos Velcro ocultos que fijan la capucha y capa,son muy prácticos ya que te puedes mover sin descolocar nada.

Finally got my AP pictures taken.  I understand that since the CRL for KOTOR II Nihilus is still "Incomplete" that when I contact my GML, they will have to get approval from the LMOs for this costume, correct?

So, here are my AP pictures.  Let me know of anything that might need to be tweaked or changed before I send these to my GML.

O4XcV0y.jpg

ECL4djm.jpgn9th2dI.jpgAgjYA8W.jpgVrtfSSJ.jpgfgvLeCg.jpg

Edited by Cadet

Good call on tagging @DarthValkyria , I thought I had but realize I forgot. 

I will admit, I am a little eager to be approved because while taking my Ap pictures, my photographer friend also got some really good shots that I think would be great for the Detachment's Social Media.

5ENLLVI.jpg

(Credit to Vanish Point Photography, https://www.instagram.com/vanishpointphotography/, https://www.facebook.com/vanishpointphotography)

Edited by Cadet

Went for 501st Approval, with the understanding that since the KOTOR II CRL is still "Unfinished" it needs to be reviewed by the Legion Membership Officer and the Detachment Leader, via a thread in the DL/GML peer review section of the Legion forums.  After receiving no Feedback here from the Detachment Staff, and seeing others here get approved with  the WA KOTOR II set up, I went ahead and sent my pics to my GML to be reviewed.  My GML then got back to me saying from the feedback they got, The Skirt, The Tunic, the Cape, and my Hood were inaccurate/incorrect.

Edited by Cadet

I am just a little confused as just a quick browse seems to show at least two other members here being approved with the same WA KOTOR II set up. But mine has been kicked back for "issues" with what feels like every part.  Very discouraging and that's why I wish someone from the Detachment Staff had chimed in when I asked for feedback.

Sorry for not seeing this thread before, but it is the Holidays and we are all doing this on our free time, that said - no costume is approvable out of the box, neither is the WA, but yes, others have been approved with the WA after making adjustments.

It would be nice to get a clear message as to what your GML told you to adjust, instead of you only writing :" Rejected flat out" and then  "The Skirt, The Tunic, the Cape, and my Hood were inaccurate/incorrect" 

I can tell you, what I have noticed :

You´ll need to adjust your cape to go over your shoulders and down the back (not down your arms), which is also stated in the CRL.  To better keep the cape in place, you can put in some small snaps on the shoulders, it is an easy fix but it makes a worlds difference.

You´ll also need to shorten your cape and skirt, they are way to long - as pr CRL - "reaching nearly to the floor", yours are dragging on the floor.

Is your outer tunic padded ?  it needs to be pr the CRL :

"The outer layer consists of a somewhat fitted sleeveless tunic with a layer of heavy padding hidden under the fabric of the chest area.

High loft quilt batting or a more rigid material may be used to create the padded look of the tunic chest.

The outer fabric is not sewn to the base of this padding; instead it hangs loosely over the stomach."

On the back, you need to make sure, that the hood covers the closure on the cape, but that is more a dressing issue - you can put in velcro, so it stays put when trooping.

It is small adjustments and easy to fix, and I´m looking forward to seeing you approved, when done - hope this helps, and again, sorry for not seeing this thread right away, but I have been enjoying Christmas and the Holidays with my kids, which I suspect the rest of the staff and members also has.

Edited by Heavy1973
  • Like 1

I was told there was issues with those pieces, I was told they were waiting to see if there was any more feedback, and now by this point I have been given the same notes you have now posted here regarding Drape and Length of those pieces.   Perhaps I worded that post too antagonistically or aggressively to vent some, but that was sort of how I felt at the time, frustrated and let down. 

I will look into hemming up the bottom of the cape.  I can probably wear the skirt a little higher to bring it up off the ground, but I can get it hemmed up as well.  The Tunic does have padding, but perhaps not enough, so I can add more.  It’s just at this point I’m not sure when I will have the time to get around to those mods due to an upcoming schedule full of 12 hour shifts, but when I do I will send the images along to my GML to be sent up the chain for approval, after posting and waiting for feedback here first.

I have a member in my area who only has a Nihilus, so I knew and respected that I would probably never get much of chance to wear it to Official 501st Events.  It’s the same with my Kylo  and my Boba.   I have a Scout and a TK so I can pretty much always wear either of those two and I’m happy to let someone else who only has the Face Character do it since I can do a Trooper and I never want to be the reason that another can attend an event.  In non-pandemic years Boba and Kylo each only got 1 Troop and I knew it was going to be the same with Nihilus, if not even less.  So, in a way that means I almost didn’t have to go for Approval for this Costume, since  I was really only going to wear it at Cons or Halloween, and rarely at best for 501st events.  But  I wanted to go for approval anyway because I love the Character and the Costume and I wanted to contribute and be involved.  I have always been one to recommend to our local recruits and potential members to always go to the Detachment of their prospective costume.  Sure, get feedback from local members, but at the end of the day go to the detachment and engage with them, and to not rely on one of the wide variety of unaffiliated or loosely affiliated Facebook Groups even if they feel more convenient.  I love the detachment system and the sense of camaraderie  I have seen in many of the other Detachments I have been involved with over my time in the 501st. 

And then it felt like there was nothing to be involved with here due to the lack of engagement. Even when it was recommended to me to reach directly out to members of Staff via PM to get feedback before submitting, due to it being December and encroaching on the Holidays, when I visited several Staff profiles to send a PM I saw that they had not logged onto the Forums in Weeks, or Months even.  Which felt little bit more than just Holiday distraction, and at that point I felt like even sending a PM would not get a response, so I went ahead and submitted what I thought looked like the examples of several other members here who had been approved and I got kicked back.  Which always sucks and I am sure we all know always tends to make prospective and even current members feel a little put off, but doubly so when you now know it is things that could I have been easily caught when asking for Feedback, but I know I also rushed things due to my excitement for the costume and finally fitting getting my pictures taken into my schedule.   Had I been more patient I would not have wasted my GML’s time as well as the time of the LMO and the Detachment Staff.

It is of course sad, that you don´t have time now to make the small adjustments, and it is also sad, that you haven´t written a pm to me, as I do what I can to be active daily on the boards, even though it is the Holidays.  

I would say, that your GML is very nice to have put your pics up on the Legion Board on the 25th. - some GML´s don´t take approvals in at this time of the year due to many being with family and enjoying the Holidays.  I answered him on the 26th, since I am in Denmark and there is a time difference.

My comments are the same to your GML, that I have written to you here - please do give me a pm, when you have done the corrections and I´ll give you a heads up before you put them in for approval.   

Again, I apologize for not having seen you asking for a review on your pics in this thread on the 19th of December and therefore not been quick enough to give you the comments then.  

No time has been wasted, but a bit more patience would perhaps be a good thing another time ?  ;-)   

Happy Holiday... 

5 minutes ago, Gomcse said:

Thanks Heavy. You're always helpful.

My COTF needed corrections too, though not as extensively. I had asked WA to make mods for me per CRL and it made everything go more smoothly.

Thanks I do the best I can ;-)  

Edited by Heavy1973
  • Like 1

@Cadet , also, it would be rare (if ever) to get approved on first submission. It can take months of back and forth to make sure the accuracy and consistency are in place.

Personally, I'm not aware of any costumes that are approvable out of the box with the possible single exception being Boba Fett from BobaMaker ($8,400 USD and 36 month waiting period).

You have all the pieces, now have some fun and enjoy the approval journey. It's worth it, we all go through it, and it can be an exciting time as you build a super accurate and custom fitted suit.

I'm looking forward to seeing your final photos!

Hey cadet! I'm a bit late to the conversation, but as others are mentioning many costumes aren't going to be approvable out of the box. Approval is based on the accuracy of how the costume looks and fits your body.

In my opinion the cape and skirt need to come up a few inches as they have a decent bit of gathering at your feet.  I also think that the stock WA KOTOR II mask needs modified a little to meet the in-game model's mask (documented in my link below). Your chest/torso doesn't seem to have any "armored" padding under your tunic.

One common concern is the length of the gloves, which it looks like you've got the correct length for. That looks great.

I also completed a KOTOR II Nihlius a little over a year ago, however I had made significant changes to my stock WA KOTOR (version 1), Rob now sells a version 2 that has some improvements since the CRL revisions from when I worked with Nina on updating photos, etc.

Take a look at my build thread where I compare the in-game model to the base (v1) of WA's kit and the modification I had done to get it approvable.

Edited by TeaJay