• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Grand Inquisitor Boots

Mono

Hi! Working on and off with a G.I costume and the parts that really confuses me are the boots and greaves. The crl states that the boots should be "knee-high" or for level 2 be "English riding (dress) boots or Equestrian boots". The problem i have with this is that i can't imagine being able to put on greaves with those kind of boots. Also the boots pictured in the crl pictures looks more like ankle boots to me. does anyone on here have any input or any clear pictures of what the boots should look like?

Andy from the Southern Cross Garrison, my GML is working on a G.I costume as well, he's not awesome with forums but will hopefully jump on board with this discussion as he has some questions..

along your thinking his  take on this after they aren't greaves, more leather gaiters:
(TBH at this stage i don't know the functional difference between greaves and gaiters?)"

His comments mainly relate to the greaves 

[quote]

Firstly, they look like gaiters with the downwards flair right in front of the heel.
Secondly, the lack of any cutout below the knee suggests that the shins are made of leather as opposed to armour. If it were armour, it would be impossible to bend the leg given how high on the shins these come.
Thirdly, the overall colour, lighting and texture of the shins matches the boots rather than the rest of the armour worn by the Grand Inquisitor.

[/quote]

thanks

andy

Hello there,

Thanks for posting Andy.

I am the GML in question and after some closer examination, I believe that the G.I. wears basic officer boots with a flared "cuff" or "ring" around the ankle. You can see that the cuff is definitely a seperate piece from the rest of the boots in these shot (photos incoming) Whether this cuff is made of leather or is a hard armour, I'm not 100% sure on, but my bet would be it would also be leather.

Cheers,

Timmy

So for some reason this is the only photo I could get to upload. It's not the greatest quality, however, you can clearly see that the flared cuff around the ankle is separate to the rest of the boots.

Interesting. But if the cuff is a seperate piece, can we then be sure of that what he is wearing is actually greaves/boot armor and not just tall boots with a seperate ring or cuff around it? I also found this picture in the refrence gallery (it's also on the star wars website.) the picture is a color guide which seems to show that the "greaves" are actually made of leather, same as the boots. As previously mentioned you can also see in this picture that the "greaves" looks the same as the boots and also different than the rest of the armor.   

IMG_0112.JPG

I am convinced that there is no hard armour on the boots at all, so I completely agree with you. I believe that what he's wearing are standard officer boots with a flared cuff worn around the ankle. 

And I also agree that the shins look different to the rest of the armour. The colouring, lighting and texture of the shins match the feet and don't match the rest of the armour, so I'm in agreement there too. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Trachta I spent quite a bit of time trying to find this moment when the G.I. walks across the bridge to try and get a good look at his boots and then freeze framed it to get as good a look as I could. Quite the exercise! But I think it clearly shows that the cuff is seperate from the rest of the boot

Great! It seems that we are all on the same page about this. However the question about the "cuff" or "ring" still remains. What is it made of? judging from the picture i posted before, it looks to me that the cuff matches the hard armor rather than the leather. Also from a practical standpoint it would seem to me that it would work better to make it out of a hard material, since that  (at least in my mind) would hold its shape better than leather or faux leather would. But i could be wrong.           

Guest Playmaker1

Hi so is there a file or does have a link to the files for the greaves ring for the boots for G.I been looking for how to do that before I start my build.

14 minutes ago, Guest Playmaker1 said:

Hi so is there a file or does have a link to the files for the greaves ring for the boots for G.I been looking for how to do that before I start my build.

I ended up making my boot-rings from some 2mm craft foam and wrapping that in black faux leather. Having a 3d printed part didn’t really look right to me. I might have a 3d model that I did laying around somewhere, not sure if it could work or even looks right though. I also might have a template for the foam ring that I made, but I’m not sure.

I am still working on dialing everything in but I cut away the rest of the armor except for the flares at the bottom on the STL's I bought about 3-4 years ago and just slide them over the boot. 

ylZziag.jpg