• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Daritha's Imperial Knight

Guest Daritha

Guest Daritha

Since Thomas posted in this thread over at the 501st Forum, I don't want to hide my plans of putting an Imperial Knight together. I simply wanted to wait until I got something hard to show here. So far, I just have the idea, some contacts and image material I collected. Didn't ordered/sewed/modelled any fabric, suit or armor parts yet.

Therefore, I'm using this starting post for a little teaser: My planned Imperial Knight will be part of the "Star Wars Legacy Group Germany" (http://www.swlgg.de.tl/). I was, among others, convinced by some dedicated ladies over in Germany to do a group project for the Cotume Contest for FedCon XX in May 2011 in Düsseldorf, Germany. So far, we have a Darth Krayt (our beloved Andrea from Italy), and the Darths Maladie, Nihl and Talon. Marasiah Fel and my Imperial Knight are in planning right now. I recommended the Flagship to my fellow German ladies. I hope they're gonna share their insights in making the costumes.

Also, I'm tinkering with some ideas. Maybe forming the IK into Roan Fel in his "Monster"-arc Imperial Knight armor.

SWLegacy43_fel.jpg400px-Draco_fel.jpg

You can clearly see in issues 43 and 46 that Fel wears a standard Imperial Knight armor - just the Imperial emblem is golden and not silver. Despite Fel's appearance in issue 13 "Ready to Die", you can see him in his non-ceremonial IK armor for the first in the "Monster" storyline. In issue 13, he wears a robe and just one cortosis gauntlet.

And to name it: I'm just thinking of Fel because he's the only one that I'm remotely resemble. Antares Draco, which I instantly lied down, was also proposed to me by future Marasiah. But as Antares I ... would have to deal with some things, esp. with a Sia around. *gg* Okay, just kidding, but I simply not looking like Antares. He always has this grim expression in his face and everyone was really clear to me during Jedi-Con that I simply cannot look grim or evil. ^^

However, I'm thrilled to making this particular costume. And ignoring the end result (if it'll be a generic Knight, Roan Fel or whatever) I'm sure it'll be a lot of work, anger, desperation ... and fun! 8)

Guest Anonymous

Good luck! Be sure to keep us posted with pics and your own take on how you are (re)creating various parts.

Following your progress will help motivate me to do the final modding/fabricating I want/need to do on my own IK (new robe, new tunic, and back armour).

Since I don't think that I look like any particular IK (so far), I'm just a generic IK, or as yet unseen character!

Guest Daritha

Maybe you can go for an "specific" Knight, like "Unitentified Imperial Knight II" as he is depicted in the Wookieepedia. It's always funny to read such articles there. x'D

Today, I met an good (and not old, otherwise, she's going to kill me for it) friend of mine. She's studying fashion design and gave me some useful information about how to best sew the leather parts and make them look the way I intend.

Guest Daritha

Got my gloves in the mail last weekend and bought leather pants from Frank this week (he outfits all the LARPer in our region with leather work, so he's a good approach). As you can see in the lower-right photo, the pants are very form-fitting. ^^' But they're really comfortable and matching to the gloves. I'm going for the plane leather pants since Thomas remarked that Jan Duursema thinks the ripped and the plane pants are okay (the one for "indoor" duty, the other for outdoor ... if I remember right).

ik_kombi_legs_hands.jpg

I'm looking out to buy the leather for the undersuit next week. I have chosen some right now. In June, I hope to order the armor parts from SithPlanet. I got the boots for a while and am sticking to the brown ones as seen in the Monster-arc storyline. Here a first impression how the costume parts are looking together:

kombi.jpg

Guest Daritha

Update:

100_1441.jpg

I got my leather from my local fabric dealer (btw. fabric is in German "Stoff" which is also a slang word for illegal drugs ... people looking sometimes a bit suspicious when you tell them you're gonna get some Stoff ^^). However, I found some nice (synth) leather as you can see and was sewing the whole Saturday evening. I got the collar finished and attached it to the undersuit.

undersuit-compilation.png

I have to add sleeves to the suit yet. And also work on the suit itself. For now it's a long dress, like the one from Visas Marr. I have to cut it short and make the eight tabards around. I also need to sew the pattern on the suit itself and cut all loose strings and fabric parts.

This is actually Version 2. I sewed the suit again because the first one was too ... form-fitting. Maybe I keep the first one and add some black lipstick and eyeshadow for the next big Gothic festival in Leipzig. ^^

Guest Daritha

It's way cooler on this weekend than it was during the whole week. Originally, I wanted to sew the undersuit parts together during the week but wearing and working on leather with a Southern-like heat out: No way!

However, the weekend was much cooler and I was able to finish to undersuit.

I already ordere the IK armor kit from SithPlanet.com and will work on it. The kit is good enough but some parts are missing. Knuckle plates and a back plate for the armor are missing. I have to make some from scratch. I also need to sew a proper "cape" for the IK. A friend from the Rebel Legion is working on the belt for me. Since he's very good with Jedi belts I think he can transform the concept of the IK belt just fine. :)

03.jpg

I like how the right sleeve turned out. It was the first time that I made such undersuit and working with leather on such a scale. There, I think it looks very good at this point. Maybe I make a second undersuit some day when my skills at working with leather are better. :)

05.jpg

At this point, I think I must cut the tabards again when I have the armor parts together. Also, Thomas suggested during a brief chat on Facebook to add leather on the inner parts as well.

04.jpg

I sewed two layers of fabric together for the Vader-like optic - the little air bubbles - of the suit. Therefore, the arms are a bit stiff due to the two fabric layers but I can move in them just fine.

Guest Daritha

My armor kit arrived today. I made some pictures of the unaltered one. I have some work to do in the days and weeks to come. 8)

armor1.jpg

armor4.jpg

armor2.jpg

armor3.jpg

Guest SuperAzza101

Great work so far man, its great your tackling a costume yet to be approved (and a favourite of mine). Is your armour Sith Planer per chance? And obviously its missing the back armour - will you be making that yourself?

Guest Daritha

Yes, the kit is the one from SithPlanet.com I myself am not good enough (nor do I have the infrastructure) to craft such armor myself. The IK kit, however, is a great start. I want to make the pack plate myself. That's a task I'm sure I can handle and spray the whole armor in a darker red.

Without flashlight and in normal light, the armor looks good but it is too shiny. The armor has a crimson color and does not sparkle or shine. However, my plans are delayed until there are temperatures outside allowing a normal human being to breath and live without sweat (present: 35-40 °C :x ).

Guest Daritha

He is Empire!

I like how versatile this tinker plastic is. I always knew how many thing you can do with it but cutting out this filigrane structures even surprised me. Initiatlly, it was a try because I didn't know if the plastic would handle me and the razor blade knife.

100_1496.jpg

However, it turned out that the plastic is THAT good. I arranged the parts on the shoulder and gauntlet armor and take some shots.

100_1512.jpg

100_1511.jpg

Now, I'm preparing the back armor and want to craft it with my father on next weekend. Also, I began with spraying the armor in a darker crimson red, like the original IK armor.

Guest Daritha

I'm in the middle of the coloring process. The red from SithPlanet was nice but too much. I looked for a more crimson color and ended up there (last pic). The back plate is finished but isn't shown here.

100_1517.jpg

100_1518.jpg

100_1519.jpg

I really like the gray/white color of the armor plate. This gray is from the primer, but a "White Knight" would also be nice to see. xD

100_1523.jpg

100_1521.jpg

The left pic is with, the right without flashlight.

The colors are dry and I don the armor for a first test. Turns out, the color is looking great but doesn't stick to the armor. I'm gonna redo everything and add a layer of protection lacque. I thought about this but hoped it wouldn't be necessary. I hope I can find some not-shining one.

Guest Daritha

I did some shots with the armor. I just used duct tape to hold everything together. Since then, of course, I changed everything. I monitored that one layer of lacquer isn't enough since it flaked off the armor. I added a second double-layer of primer, red color and added a visible layer of protection lacquer. Now, everything's fine and I'm gonna strap everything together in the days to come.

However, here are the pics:

100_1534.jpg

100_1535.jpg

You can see a bit of the back armor I designed with my father. It was coming out very good and due to the spray-painting, the front and back are looking very much alike. :)

Guest Anonymous

Hey,

wegen der Backarmor kannst Du mich da bitte mal über GKo1040480@aol.com kontaktieren? Vorrausgesetzt es wäre Dir und Deinem Vater möglich noch einen zweiten Satz Backarmor zu fertigen, denn mir fehlt da absolut die Zeit dazu.

Gruß Guido

Guest Daritha

@SL4140: Tut mir leid, aber die Rückseite ist wie immer ein Einzelstück und an meinen Körper angepasst. Es war nie gedacht, mehr davon zu machen. Ich kann dir aber gern helfen, was Details der Verarbeitung angeht, solltest du es doch mal selbst machen wollen. :)

----

Some finishing pictures. I over-painted my armor parts again completely. Everythings fix now.

100_1547.jpg

I glued the Imperial logos on the bracer ...

100_1558.jpg

and shoulder patch.

100_1553.jpg

Then, I glued or fixated everything else together. Here's the result. I post up some pictures soon, where I wear everything. But that's it so far.

100_1565.jpg

Guest Daritha

Hooray, I found the time to upload the pictures of my first test wearing of the costume. With gamescom and other events I didn't really had the time to upload everything. However, now it is done and you can see the first assembly of my Imperial Knight.

100_1570.jpg

As you can see, the belt and the "loincloth" are still missing. I'm waiting for the belt to be shipped and want to attach the plate later. Also, I'm not really satisfied with the soulder bells and how they are looking. Also, some of the strapping were getting loose during the shots. I want to fix these issues in time.

100_1569.jpg

And here is the "mysterious" back plate. I'm kind of satisfied how the plate came out at the end. What I don't like is how flat the cape looks and how smooth it falls. That's not really what I wanted. I'm thinking of pleating it somehow. But on the other hand: When I move, the cape looks good. Its just when I stand still.

100_1575.jpg

One thing is also missing: The black wig I'll use since I want to post as Antares Draco.

Guest Daritha

On weekend, Taunus Wunderland II happened, the main base event here. I attended with my Imperial Knight as dual member of the Rebel Legion as well as the SW Legacy Group Germany (SWLGG), our Legacy costume group.

swlgg__group_shot_by_daritha-d2y5pwf.jpg

NOTE: The belt isn't finished yet and the hair isn't curled like Antares. Also, some armor parts broke during the event.

For a first test, it went well enough. Now I know what I have to look after. I'm getting a pair of Vader gloves that will hopefully do better and I'm fixing parts in the weeks to come and am attending another Convention in October. That time, maybe, with a "finished" costume.

Guest Daritha

Little Update

Finally, my Imperial Knight is complete ... at least in theory. I received the belt some days ago, made by a good friend and very talented beltmaker.

Here, in comparison to an ordinary Jedi belt:

GuertelDaritha1jpg.JPG

Now, the costume is complete, although I want to redo the cape for a better look. In May 2011, I will make some good high-res pictures at FedCon XX.

So long, stay tuned. ^^

Guest A'Sharad Hett
Little Update

Finally, my Imperial Knight is complete ... at least in theory. I received the belt some days ago, made by a good friend and very talented beltmaker.

Here, in comparison to an ordinary Jedi belt:

[_img]http://www.lothars-sternenwelt.com/Bilder_RL_Forum/GuertelDaritha1jpg.JPG[/img]

Now, the costume is complete, although I want to redo the cape for a better look. In May 2011, I will make some good high-res pictures at FedCon XX.

So long, stay tuned. ^^

Will your friend take orders? I'm on a new project that will be much improved by a pro-made belt :roll:

Guest Daritha

In general, yes. Right now, he don't take any commissions. He said to me that it'll be difficult for him now. He has a lot to do. Job, family etc. - which is time-consuming as we all know. ^^

But I'm sure he could relate you to another belt maker or something.

PS: Since someone on another board mentioned the part about "finished" with the costume - I just meant that I got all the important parts on the costumes. A costume is never truly finished, just want to say. *g*

Said person also mentioned belt pouches. But Imperial Knights don't have them. I checked my memory, the references and all but didn't found any. There aren't any, right?

Guest Daritha

Yepp, so far, the only pouches I ever saw were on the sketches Jan provided for the IK. Never in the actual comics. But this is the eternal curse when making comic costumes: One additional line from the artist on the costume and there will be hell of a discussion if said costume had to be have this new line and if said line is a stitch, sem or whatever.

On the other side, that's the fun - working these things out! ^^

Guest Daritha

During FedCon XX, there were made some very good pictures I just want to share:

(1).jpg

(6).jpg

8).jpg' alt='default_icon_cool.gif' alt='8)'>.jpg'>

(13).jpg

(43).jpg

(11).jpg

Also, if you feel like browsing a bit, I link the two galleries from my FedCon event page on my website here

gap_galerie.png

gap_galerie2.png