• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Doctor Aphra build

Puck8715

I was looking for a new 501st costume to make and someone pointed me in de direction of Doctor Aphra. 

This costume is really what I was looking for me: something comfortable and no helmet. 

This costume does not look too complicated, but I am well aware looks can be deceiving. 

I am really interested in the Grey Jacket version: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:DZ_Doctor_Aphra_Grey_Jacket

Last week I ordered a bunch of fabric samples and I am hoping they will arrive this week. 

I also have a bunch of leather I wanted to use for TROS Rey. But I am not feeling the drive for that costume at the moment, so I have decided to use that leather for the belts and holster for the Apgra costume. First I will make a paper mock up. 

I am looking for the belt buckles. Those are at the moment the only items I am unsure of how to make or where to buy. 

From what I have seen, the aviator cap is the annoying part because it varies depending on the version. Some have flat ear caps, some have puffy. Just have to make sure you line up the correct aviator cap version with the correct outfit, as they are not all interchangeable. 

I have two questions about this costume. First the belts:

Screenshot_20200716-092828-M.jpg

The CRL mentions that both belts are 2inces wide. But isn't the belt with the round buckle much wider than the other one? Is the CRL correct here?

I was thinking of making the wide belt 5 cm and the smaller one 2,5 or 3 cm (give or take). 

Another question I have is about the belt buckles. I'm at a loss how to make these or where to buy them.

DZ_AphraCover_NarrowBelt-M.jpg

DZ_AphraCover_Holster%20%281%29-M.jpg

I'm talking about the triangle and the round buckle. I would prefer to have metal versions, but I'm open to other options. 

Can someone give me advice or point in the right direction? 

Unfortunately, I cant weigh in on the width of the belts at this time as I am fairly unfamiliar with ins and outs of this particular costume, but as far as teh buckles go, I would check thrift/goodwill stores for belts first, you might be able to find a belt that has the buckles you're looking for. Another option would be to make them yourself out of sintra or even metal if you have the tools available. I have also seen folks 3D print buckles very similar to those, with files found on thingiverse.com.

Hopefully this helps!

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the reply! Yesterday I actually found someone to help me with the buckles. Someone in my own garrison works with metal and he can make them for me! 

I will make the leather parts of the belt myself. 

The first week of August is my week vacation and I am so looking forward to it! I'm not traveling anywhere due to Covid, so I will dedicate my time to this costume! I think I can make quite some progress in one week!