• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

TK44921 Sith Acolyte Build

JamesMapes2017

Hi All, 

Ive gone with Mynocks Den and VadersVault which are in collaboration which one another  for the build.

Few Reasons as to why and wanted to share. Taras and Alan at VV were both extremely helpful and have closest accuracy for this armour.

Mynocks offers the fully enclosed Helmet which is great for when you have the hood down, Armor is in ABS with Resin and 3d Printed parts for a durable and well detailed kit .

Saber is most accurate to the Acolyte. 

Sith Acolyte armour kit arrived in February and I have been slowly cutting out the various sections.

Light Sabre ordered from Vaders Vault in February as this is again the most accurate version. However there is a 20 week delivery time. So don't expect this to arrive until end of July 2020.

Helmet - Arrived bought from Mynock on his website.

Boots ordered and arrived. Same as TK boots but in black. These will be sprayed silver anyway I believe going from reference photos.

Gloves ordered - same as what Taras recommended. These have arrived as well.

Undersuite - using Under Armour as I already have a Sonico one which I use with my TK Storm Trooper Armour.

Belt - will be using the same belt type as used with my TK. Nothing special here purchased off Amazon.

Robe - Still need to source / get ordered. Hopeful that one of our local trooper friends will be able to make this for me.

Looking forward to getting this build done as I wanted to do a costume that I was able to sit down in and was a little different to the other star wars costumes about.

I am following another WIP on here as a guide due to the same kit being used.

In this for the long hall. It's been a few years since my last costume build so about time I got on with a new project.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Supporting pictures of this build in progress.

These are the 3d printed parts that came included with the ABS armour parts.

Also included photo of comicon safe what can only be described as claws.
These are foam.f09a04abe4b177d3ecf6aa519cddb4f3.jpg42862e1bef9d83922981f457d4e158db.jpg

• Like 1

Final set of supporting photos.
These parts are made from resin.

I still need to do a little bit of tidying up on these parts as there are some rough bits from the casting that need to be sanded down and smoothed off before painting.
5e315b14e1d2a0a1baa3194ac070c505.jpg073a6b9118861063f49d9b9d8c03f8b7.jpg0d958b7323804d7bb8ea8bc3c217dc72.jpgd41bd3694a10dce423ef2874b23e08f8.jpg511eb2f2b15f6721980f4af4b5092591.jpg

• Like 1

Wow thanks for sharing all of the individual pictures.  What beautiful pieces of armor!

i absolutely love his mask.  I have a very early version of it, long before he started doing the back piece.  That’s something I’ve been thinking about upgrading to.  

you must be so excited to be on your way!  I’d love to see more pictures as your build progresses.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your comment TK Keith.
It is taking it's time but I am aiming to do a really good job for this build.
Still have a long way to go.
Painting is next on the list but I am having to wait a while for the paints to arrive due to deliveries being prioritised.
The paint job alone will take a few weeks to complete.

Thank you.
TK44921

On 4/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, JamesMapes2017 said:

Thank you for your comment TK Keith.
It is taking it's time but I am aiming to do a really good job for this build.
Still have a long way to go.
Painting is next on the list but I am having to wait a while for the paints to arrive due to deliveries being prioritised.
The paint job alone will take a few weeks to complete.

Thank you.
TK44921

When the paint finally arrives and you're able to get started, I'd love to see some progress pictures of the painting process.  I always enjoying seeing that aspect of a build... the transformation of white ABS to realistic looking armor.

Could also do with some clarification on the abdomen plate.
Is this weathering to much on the centre of the abdomen section ?
The dark section in the middle section of the abdomen?
Or is this how it should look?
Don't want to get it wrong as it would be a real shame to do so.

So my question is leave it all silver and just weather it a little or rub right back down to the underlying black.

Look forward to your reply to my question.
Thanks again.
TK44921tapatalk_-1043318971_378x504.jpg

Sorry forgot to add.
The picture in previous post is a sample pic from another WIP.

I haven't weathered my abdomen plate yet.

I just needed to know if it is right or not.
Apologies for the multiple posts

Want to get it right first time, rather than making a costly mistake.
Thanks
TK44921

I think it's coming along nicely!

When it comes to coloring, the CRL is pretty open and simply calls for armor that  "Must be painted a metallic grey that is weathered in a pattern consistent with the rest of the armor."  My personal preferences is for  a darker metallic gray, but I have seen great looking acolytes that are both on the lighter and darker side.

Regarding the center piece of the abdomen- the reference image does show that it is a darker color. But in my opinion the two hues are closer in value than in the picture you posted above. In the reference image below it appears that the abdomen is a dark grey and the center of it closer to black. In the image you posted the abdomen is more of a bright grey and the center part close to black.

Of course, one thing that makes this even trickier is lighting... the abdomen armor you posted above may actually be darker in most real-life settings than it appears in the photograph.

B669C7A1-2488-41A8-ABB9-919D46508454.jpeg

Edited by TK Keith

23 hours ago, JamesMapes2017 said:

Sorry forgot to add.
The picture in previous post is a sample pic from another WIP.

I haven't weathered my abdomen plate yet.

I just needed to know if it is right or not.
Apologies for the multiple posts

Want to get it right first time, rather than making a costly mistake.
Thanks
TK44921

This is your thread!  No need to apologize.  :)  You're doing great!

• Like 1

Everything is looking great so far! BIG fan of the Mynock kit. The ABS kit really looks good. Mine was one of his original resin and cold cast aluminum kits. Alittle heavier but amazing detail!  Looking forward to seeing this completed! 

• Like 1

So I have had a little bit of spare time to work on the armour. Paint job completed and now onto the weathering / battle damage.

Limited to how many pics I can upload at one time so I will be posting in sections so bear with me.

First set of pics below.20200516_174241.jpg20200516_172622.jpg20200516_172535.jpg20200516_172402.jpg20200516_172324.jpg

Hi TK Kieth.

I have been working on small bits here and there but I don't feel I'm at the stage where I can show much progress from my last update. I know that was some time ago now but as soon as I feel happy with the work I will post up more pics for feedback.

Work has also slowed my build down a fair bit as well.

Thanks for asking though.
James

On 5/8/2020 at 6:01 AM, JamesMapes2017 said:

So I have started work on the paint job for my sith acolyte build.
Interested to know your thoughts guys.20200508_105753.jpg20200508_105721.jpg20200508_105707.jpg20200508_105638.jpg

what did you do to weather those pieces? im starting to save up to get the armor and what not, and want to be able to do this