• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Secret Redback Apprentice

Guest SuperAzza101

Guest SuperAzza101

Photos are not clear, will retake them, but what do you think?

dsc00046w.jpg

dsc00048g.jpg

dsc00052fv.jpg

All comments welcome, only way can I get this costume as perfect as possible.

Azza

dsc00046w.jpgApprenticewhiteSmall.jpg

Hi, I like your outlook. (My poor husband probably gets really tired of me asking him for an opinion every five minutes when I'm working on costumes... but I know that second opinions always help!)

From the top...

It might just be the way that the armor is straped on, but the left shoulder armor seems to be larger than the right. The collar ridge seems higher, and the armor dips lower on the chest. The two pieces of armor are further apart than they should be, but again that just might be the strapping not pulling them close enough together.

The tunic should be quite tightly closed over the chest. There should only be a very small triangle of the black shirt showing underneath... not a large amount of it. (I have been having the same problem with Scott's Shado tunic... it doesn't want to stay closed tightly enough. We finally had to sew pieces of velcro on the crossover section to keep it closed properly!)

The wraps and loincloth need to be darkened and weathered. I would reduce the amount of wraps around your feet... the wraps seem a bit too bulky there.

You've got a really good color match for the shirt and pants, and I like the fit of the belts.

For my Mara belt that hangs down on the side, I found that it helped to wet the leather and stretch/compact it to hang flat against my side. If your sloped belt is leather, it might help to try that for a better fit. Wet the leather, and then stretch the bottom edge and compact the top edge on the left side. On the right side, you can compact the bottom edge to make it rest tightly against your hip. Adding the etched lines on the second belt and the sloped belt can add a great bit of detail, too.

It's coming along well!

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

Just wanted to let you know that it is looking great and you -definitely- have the build for the character. ~thumbs up!~

Guest Daritha

I second Pam's comments. Additionally, and in one word: Dirty 'em up!

The costume looks too clean. When I made my Starkiller, I really put the clothes or at least the wraps into mud and dirty them. I, too, used the Darth Maul make-up set (won it at a SW tombula) to add some dark and bloodish-red colors. I made a "bath" for the wraps with the colors dissolved in water and burned the edges with a candle light. The smoke from the candle worked wonders on making the wraps looking dirty.

Also, it might just be me but I think the gauntlet looks too big on your hand. But that's just my personal opinion.

However, your Starkiller's coming along very nice. :)

Guest Anonymous

This is great! I hope you don't mind, but I would love to use your idea for the shoulder pads! Also: Where did you get the straps for the chest plate?

Guest SuperAzza101

Sorry for the lack of updates guys and girls. Life = crazy past few months. Back on my feet and legion is the priority again thank goodness lol. I thought I was ready for approval, but I still think theres issues. Cant see all my belts in these photos (bangs head on wall) and still weathering and color. It does look dirtier in real life, but i think its gonna need more. Oh well, I plan to have this done saturday at all costs, ive got a week of holidays!

dscn0478z.jpg

PS Blackeye1392 I used belt making leather from a leather wholeseller out here.

Azza

*drill sergeant* Okay, you wanna finnish it? Really? Allright, boy, let's do this:

The fabric's still too bright, I think. Is this just a photo effect or is the costume really that bright in real life? If so: Darken it, dirty the boy up!

The thickness of the clavicle armor looks good. I suggest a bit more scorch burnings around the restraining bolt. Look at the official pics of Starkiller.

I'm missing one belt when I count through. Did it hide or is it missing?

I'd like to see the boots too.

Guest SuperAzza101

Haha YES SIR!

Fabric base color is fine I think, but does need alot more weathering. Luckily fair bit of rain at the moment, no shortage of mud ;)

One of the belts didnt show up when I took the pics *sigh* belt 4 the small one, when I retake photos i'll make sure its showing.

Boots are fine but need again more weathering, ill have more pics up soon.

Guest SuperAzza101

Some recent photos from an armour party held on the weekend (celebrating our garrison's first year :) )

dsc2277medium.jpg

dsc2294medium.jpg

dsc2300medium.jpg

dsc2298medium.jpg

My CO doesn't like my tone of voice lol

Certain photos were also taken and sent to a certain someone ;)

till next time,

Azza

That got style. 8)

Now that I see them in action, I think you're a worthy Starkiller. Everything looks good and smooth. You'll doing fine here. :)

Guest SuperAzza101

Thank you very much Daritha for your kind words :)

You have been a valuable sounding board and a great source of inspiration for me :) heres hoping!