• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Secret Redback Apprentice

Guest SuperAzza101

Guest SuperAzza101

G’day everybody! Thought I’d finally get around to posting my pics up on flagship of my Starkiller tie factory gear build. I have been working on this for just over a month and I’m quite pleased so far. I have currently been researching building a Secret Apprentice costume for quite some time, as well as another EU costume. As my garrison seems to have most of the most of the Force Unleashed characters, I thought why not have the main one? Also I wanted a costume I could use for cons that I could see and sit down in :P

This is the first day of construction - the upper armour.

starkillerarmor.jpg

This is the first time ive ever done anything like this. I first made a mould of my chest (thanks to my brother for helping) out of duct tape. Cutting myself out of it, stuffed it with newspaper and plastic bags to give it shape.

65121456.jpg

Then using the reference pictures i used posterboard and stiff cardboard to design the shoulder armour. Its symmetrical to each other.

61347459.jpg

Then a bit of duct tape to hold it to the chest. Front

22888454.jpg

and back

getattachmentaspxaep.jpg

Then stiff carboard for the collar. This annoyed the frak out of me more than anything just trying to get it to work. In the end it came out allright.

53881252.jpg

With the cast done, I then used fibreglass mating and resin to apply over the mould.

71549772.jpg

13734141.jpg

Not bad for 1 day. I ended up using this as a test piece (wasn’t happy with the final product). At the moment its extremely rough, I will be cutting and sanding down the fibreglass then using flexible builders bog over the top to smooth it out and fill the fibreglass. I re-did the mould and WOOLAH!

27108899.jpg

Base coat done, nickel silver colour. The surface is a little rough - i figured if your trained by darth vader for years, your not going to have really smooth, shiney armour. Will paint weather just a tad later in the week.

36500094.jpg

47880260.jpg

Another progress pic, im simply using an old long sleeve shirt to give an idea of how it will look. I’m currently sewing the clothes as we speak.

19001155.jpg

Belts

74458184.jpg

Armour strapping

33306828.jpg

Front close

70155014.jpg

Still looking at a system to make sure it looks screen accurate and holds together, for the most part its all there

Back close

18736047.jpg

After seeing the back obviously the armour needs some trimming, not parallel or symmetrical yet hhhmmmmmm...

Front Wide

95579099.jpg

Starting to come together.

Will keep ya posted!

Azza

Guest Daritha

I love the Australian TFU costumes! Unfortunately, I never saw one in real so far. To your Starkiller costume: I congratulate you on an excellent start for Star! :D

How far I can judge from the photos, your costume takes shape very quickly and in a pleasing way. My costume version 1.0 looked (really) horrible and I'm still not pleased with 2.0. You've done a much better job than me at start and will hopefully not make as many mistakes as me - and I made bad mistakes, not learning experiences. ;)

Your stature mimicks the one of Starkiller (aka Sam Witwer) in a charming way. In armor, I couldn't see a real difference. That's definetely an advantage. The paper as a basis is a good idea. I too used ordinary paper for a test, cut it in right shape, take it on, then trimmed it and used it as a mold for the tinker plastic I used as a basis for the clavicle armor.

However, I noticed that your armor is very thin. One of the points Thomas mentioned with my first version was the thickness of the armor. I strongly recommend you to thicken it; not only for the mentioned reason but to look better. In the present stage, the armor looks kind of loose while wearing. Also, the two pieces should converge in the front downards. Yours are dispersing. Therefore, the side release buckles in the front are a bit too big once you mold the armor in the right way. You also should cut the neckpiece a bit down; but I'm not sure about this one. It's just looking a bit too high to me in the photos you've provided.

To the belts: I miss the hooks and D-rings and the diagonal belt misses the Jedi belt clips and needs to be longer. Your belt's horizontal, but it should fall from (just about) the height of the right hip to the left upper thigh.

All in all: Great start nontheless! You just began your painful journey to become the Star! XD

PS: You "can" sit down in the costume, yes, but it depends on how tight are your belts strapped around the body. *uff*

Guest SuperAzza101

Thanks for the advice Daritha! I've used some of your ideas while lurking on the forums. And yes alot of people have mentioned my resemblance to Sam Witwer, its why I feel comfortably doing a costume without a helmet haha. These pictures I posted are unfortunately a few weeks old and I haven't done much work recently. Your correct with the belts - they are missing the covertec clips, D-rings etc.

As for the upper armour, I see what you mean about the thickness. In real life its about 1cm thick, I originally thought that would be ok. Heres some updated photos of my work on the armour. I trimmed alot of the edges and smoothed it, and got the snaps and velcro correct to help it all hang together correctly. (I apologise in advance for my shocking camera phone :( )

95382257.jpg

As for the neck height im not sure about that either, ill look into that a bit further. Until such time as i'm happy with it, everything is a work in progress :D

Azza

Guest Daritha
Thanks for the advice Daritha! I've used some of your ideas while lurking on the forums.
I'm an idea mold? Cool. 8) ... Always glad when I can be of assistance. :)

As for the neck height im not sure about that either, ill look into that a bit further. Until such time as i'm happy with it, everything is a work in progress :D

Everything's in a flow. Life, taxes and costumes. :)

Heh... you'd make a great young Obi-Wan, too!

It looks like you're off to a very good start. It's true that our costumes evolve quite a bit as we get them fitted and starting to look right. The better the details, the better the final result!

I think the collar does look just a little bit tall, and I would suggest tapering it a bit more where it drops in the front (just below the jaw) so that it has a smooth curve rather than a sudden drop. I would also suggest blending the collar piece a bit more at the bottom, so that it transitions into the main armor at more of an angle, rather than so sharply. Take a look at the reference pictures, and you will see that the collar piece sits at an angle, rather than standing straight up. You don't need to redo it, just thicken it a little bit more at the base to give that look.

Make sure to share your progress... this is looking good!

Pam :-)

Guest SuperAzza101

Gauntlet is done. This was done using a stormtrooper forearm, fibreglass and filler over the top. Primed and painted once done. Both peices attach via velcro.

Before painting

46520728.jpg

After painting and weathering

15873014.jpg

On arm

30248171.jpg

I'm currently looking at an LED display for the gauntlet. If not, simply put in a sticker for the display and clear plastic over the top. On advice from fellow troopers, I have redone my neck height and my 6th belt was definately too tight so i have redone it, made it longer so it sits better. My wraps are done as well, I'll post up some full body pics next week.

Not too much else left to do: boots, wraps, and shirt (a gi) which I need to find someone to make lol. Till next time!

Azza

Guest Daritha

The gauntlet is looking great!

But I think you forgot a part. The gauntlet wraps around the arm and has three extensions. One is the LED display, and the other one you have too. But there's a third extension. When you wear it, it's located on the side of the arm where the elbow is located. See here:

StarkillerGauntlet.jpg

Beside this, the gauntlet looks very good. I esp. like the weathering!

Guest SuperAzza101

Guys thought i'd post up some pics of where i'm at now.

77720963.jpg

81396752.jpg

38362255.jpg

26706459.jpg

73728343.jpg

51378447.jpg

14313310.jpg

I'm using a Luke Skywalker epVI lightsaber, its the only one i've got, just to show the idea.

Fixed the gauntlet! Now has two sides :)

Belts are 90% done, just trying to source some missing D rings at the moment.

Boots are on the way and just have to add the wraps to them.

Another 501st mate of mine will help me next week with the LED display for the gauntlet (electric n00b).

Shoulder armour i think still needs some fixing to sit straight.

And the pants and shirt - have no idea where to get them from! Tried ebay, without buying a full jedi costume (ewww jedi yuk!) im out of ideas. And ideas would be appreciatted.

Till next time, Azza.

Guest Daritha

It takes shape ... and a good one, to add. 8) You should do about the diagonal belt over. It looks a bit steady and stiff.

I used a thick scarf as model and crisscross-sewed over it for stability and then sewed the leather over it. The belt is, this way form-fitting but also stiff enough for form. If you want, I could sew you another belt. I should get all the parts together again ... I think. ^^ Although, on other pictures the belt is looking good. Maybe just the angle in some photos that're looking odd to me. :?

However, the costume looks good in this stage. Just dirt the straps more if you want to use them. And shorten the hangings, especially at the left hand. Just look at the officiall pics of Starkiller.

Guest SuperAzza101

I'm pretty happy with the diagonal belt, it stays in place when i walk and looks ok, i think i'll leave it for now :) though i can always take you up on your offer down the track hehehe. Theres not much else to do. Everything else is now on order except... for the shirt and pants. Daritha, how did you do yours?

Guest Daritha

I got lucky with the pants. These are some old cotton pants I wore when hanging out at home. They are very comfy! I just cutted the gargo bags on the sides and darkened them a bit since the colors were washed out a bit. Nothing else to the pants.

For the "shirt" i used a long sleeve shirt and cutted it in front to have my obi. I wear a sleeveless brown shirt underneath (with a yellow lion on the front ^^) and added a bit black fabric to the obi so I would have enough material to stick it into the clothes for support. Once you have the belts wrapped around you, the shirt will hold very easy. For the arms I just cutted and trimmed the sleeves back according to the references you have with Starkiller. I used scissors, blades, knifes, ripped them. Whatever works for you. Then I stitched the wraps around the arms in the way and form they're looking in the game and voila!

But a reminder: Don't forget that the pants and the obi must be dark brown in color. Mine are black and I still want them replaced but not found similar clothes in the right color yet (despite the fact that "my" pants aren't produced anymore :().

Guest SuperAzza101

Update:

Gauntlet is finally done.

19335603.jpg

15518202.jpg

So are the boots.

32749594.jpg

50972251.jpg

Covertec clips arrived today and are currently glueing to belt 6.

Shirt and Pants - ordered from US and being shipped.

Lightsaber - ordered from US and being shipped.

And...............thats about it.

NEARLY THERE!!!

Azza

Guest SuperAzza101

I'd love to go to the states next year and do some of the troops! Gotta save some money first and stop making costumes (As if THAT will happen ;) )

Pants arrived today and look great. Lightsaber and shirt are still in the post, all that leaves left are the sith contacts ive got to find.

Guest Daritha

Awesomsauce ... great lightsaber. Were did you get yours? I'm searching for months to finde one that doesn't cost about 300-400 €. o.O

Guest SuperAzza101

including shipping to australia from the US was $210 USD. he makes them periodically.

website is here ---> http://savatronsabers.webs.com/

surprisingly off ebay it was $199, where as on the website they are listed for $250. Go figure.

No soundboard, but everything else is great :D

Guest Daritha

Then, don't look. ... Oh, too soon? ;)

I say it again: I really love the look of that lightsaber. That's one of the few things I'm still looking for my Star. A proper lightsaber hilt. The real, the "grand", hilt. ^^

i don't think starkiller had sith eyes, at least i don't remember him having them. if anyone has photo evidence of it i will gladly shut my mouth. also, i'm throwing out a hi from your sister garrison, timberline.

Guest SuperAzza101
i don't think starkiller had sith eyes, at least i don't remember him having them. if anyone has photo evidence of it i will gladly shut my mouth. also, i'm throwing out a hi from your sister garrison, timberline.

He doesn't have Sith eyes its been confirmed, in the photo I thought that showed sith eyes it wasnt the case. Fine with me, save a couple $$$ :)

And hello sister garrison brother! (yeah, that works hahaha)

Guest SuperAzza101

Guys today I finished off the last bit of the costume. :mrgreen:

I will endeavour to have approval photos done within a weeks time.

Guest Anonymous

hey great work

nice saber only thing not like me is the end of the light blade looks black in the pic, have this effect iin live too or are an photographic glitch?

Guest SuperAzza101
hey great work

nice saber only thing not like me is the end of the light blade looks black in the pic, have this effect iin live too or are an photographic glitch?

I see what you mean, its just the photos, it looks red in real life. the light doesn't fully penetrate the end as its attached on there and not part of the core tube, as such the light is weak at the tip, despite it all being clear. an anomaly for photos lol.