• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Hello from China, and some questions about Darth Revan

Hello,

I'm Mana from Chinese Garrison.  I joined the Legion in 2011. I'm here looking for some help on SL Darth Revan costume. I came across an issue with the armor. I'm very skinny, 5'4 tall, so the normal resin armor does fit me very well. I'm thinking if the armor could be made out of leather. The issue is, I found a leather crafter but neither of us know how to create the pattern on chest piece. Does anyone know any approved leather made Darth Revan costume? I really hope to learn some techniques from others who had similar experience.

Thanks very much.

Leather is very difficult because there are no rivets and no seams on the armor, which are necessary to attach the pieces together. 

This is not an uncommon problem to have with the available armor, and the folks who I know who have the same skinny issue use thin layers of foam glued to fill in the areas enough to be comfortable. The armor itself can also have velcro added to cinch the areas necessary for a slightly tighter fit. You really don't need a lot to make it sit nicely. 

You're going to be hot in this costume regardless of what you do, so the foam is the general option. I use the foam on my old armor in certain areas of it because hourglass figures mean there's a giant empty area that shakes around and makes it uncomfortable. New armor I made fixed this issue. 

On 3/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, DarthValkyria said:

Leather is very difficult because there are no rivets and no seams on the armor, which are necessary to attach the pieces together. 

This is not an uncommon problem to have with the available armor, and the folks who I know who have the same skinny issue use thin layers of foam glued to fill in the areas enough to be comfortable. The armor itself can also have velcro added to cinch the areas necessary for a slightly tighter fit. You really don't need a lot to make it sit nicely. 

You're going to be hot in this costume regardless of what you do, so the foam is the general option. I use the foam on my old armor in certain areas of it because hourglass figures mean there's a giant empty area that shakes around and makes it uncomfortable. New armor I made fixed this issue. 

Hi Nina,

Thanks very much for the your post and apologize for my late reply.

Yes, the skinny issue can be fixed by adding clothes or foam beneath the armor. I'm just afraid the overall size would be too large for me, like the width and the length, and the proportion would look weird..... And you are right, leather armor is not a going to be comfortable....  I think I'll drop it.

Some of my friends suggest to use EVA, but there is an issue about EVA, it may crack after worn couple of times. Does anyone know how to strengthen EVA costume.....?

The issue with EVA is that it can't look or bend like foam. Therefore, the foam has to be smoothed/ hardened which creates more stress points when you take off/ put on the armor, in addition to the weight that it will add. That's the crack points you mentioned. It's a fully enclosed costume, so having to bend it in places to get in/ out will happen. 

Perhaps you can find a 3D print file? It won't be cheap to print, but it will allow for custom sizing.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, DarthValkyria said:

The issue with EVA is that it can't look or bend like foam. Therefore, the foam has to be smoothed/ hardened which creates more stress points when you take off/ put on the armor, in addition to the weight that it will add. That's the crack points you mentioned. It's a fully enclosed costume, so having to bend it in places to get in/ out will happen. 

Perhaps you can find a 3D print file? It won't be cheap to print, but it will allow for custom sizing.

Make sense. I decide to give up EVA. I'll try to build a 3D file. Maybe purchase one or build one by myself. It seems to be the most reliable way.

Thanks very much!