• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

General Grievous, Pre-Cyborg

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Greetings,

I am gravedigger1964. I have been a member of the Sith Lord Detachment for a couple years and just recently became SL-9172 with the completion of my ESB Darth Vader Costume.

I decided to join your forum because my 11 year old son wants to make a pre-cyborg General Grievous that he can wear when he troops with me. As he is only 11 I'm not concerned with getting him 501st approved, but I've found these forums to be a great help and it's fun to share successes and learn from other's mistakes. And our endeavor might help someone else attempting the same costume.

So here's what I've got to go by.

438px-Grievous_original.jpg

If someone can help me with the credit for this one I'd appreciate it. I found it on Wookipedia.

DSC_5923.jpg

This is a picture of an action figure from a few years back.

If anyone can help with additional sources, it would be appreciated.

So on to our project. I made a rough shape using pine wood. My son and I then modeled Grievous' mask on the wood shape.

DSC_5928.jpg

DSC_5929.jpg

DSC_5930.jpg

When he was happy we covered the clay with Ultracal. Ultracal is a very durable plaster.

DSC_5933.jpg

After the plaster was cured, I removed it from the wood and peeled out the clay. I sealed the negative imprint of the mask with spray shellac. When that was dry my son applied three coats of carnuba wax to keep the resin from sticking to the mold. Then we laid in two plies of fiberglass and resin. To make the mask stiff with only two plies we laid one of the plies with the fibers going up/down and left/right and the other ply with the fibers diagonal at 45 degrees. The 45 degree plies resist flexing of the mask.

After the fiberglass cured we popped it out of the mold. Here's our result.

DSC_5935.jpg

DSC_5936.jpg

SO what do y'all think? It has a few surface problems from air bubbles in the resin but nothing that can't be filled.

Great! It looks like you're off to a really good start. I'm going to enjoy watching the progress of this costume; I love to see kids getting involved!

Here's a thread that can offer you some more images, as well as pictures of some completed costumes: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1444

Thanks for sharing!

Pam :-)