• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lumiya Chestbox Template

Guest Maia

This is what I came up with after going through the images of costume variation no. 2. The two squares on the left are lit panels - the upper one is a light blue, the lower red (?). Only one pic showed the colors for those so it was hard to tell what color the lower one was. The three smaller rectangles on the right are lit coin slots like on DV armour, and the large rectangle across the bottom is a gold bar. Overall size is about 5"x5". Any larger and it won't fit where it needs to on the costume.

chestboxtemplate.jpg

Dark Lady Lumiya is sometymes billed as Lady Vader. It is obvious the appearence of the character is meant to be a female counterpart to the Dark Lord.

As such I'd look and all similaries between her design and Vader as something greater than coincidence.

The orientation of the details on Lumiya's chest box is understandably inconsistant from pannel to pannel in these early comics. I maintain that the "coin slots" and illuminated buttons should remain in the same position as on Vader's chest box;

Chest17.jpg

Let's assume that the standard Imperial cybernetic technology is built such that the coin slots are on the right side of the wearer. I'd also borrow a detail or two from Vader's Chest Box to provide more detail were Lumiya's is lacking.

I think it would be a great excercise to photo edit a nice Vader Chest Box into the proportions and design of your purposed Lumiya Chest Box.

I like the way you are proceeding on this costume, Leanne. For what it is worth, I am impressed.

Be well,

Thomas

Her chest box is the flip version left-right of DV's in terms of where things are in general - and that is consistent in any of the pics from the comic where details are given. The silver side bars are never shown on Lumiya's chest box which is why I left them off. There really isn't room for them either, if I use the same sized coin slots as go on a standard DV chest box which is 6 3/4" square. The only problem area is the bar/switches across the bottom, and that varies from one comic panel to the next. I went with what was most commomly used. I really don't want to produce an exact Vader clone since there are obvious differences between the two.

Maia

Indeed the rectangles I take to be the "coin slots" do appear to be consistantly on the left in the illustrations for Lumiya. I thought I saw something else.

Very well. But I do still feel that you can borrow details from Vader's Chest Box in constructing Lumiya's. And I do not mean the vertical turned aluminum cylinders. Rather elements like lables, coin slots, and sliver switches, such as those found between the bottom row of switches on Vader.

Please take my suggestion as just that, a suggestion. Perhaps it is not of use to you. That is fine too. I have had an interest in this as a costume for over a year. I am rather excited to see it being attempted.

I don't mean to put too high of an expectation out there, but I feel confident in your skills based on what you have already shared. I am glad to see you working on Dark Lady Lumiya.

Be well,

Thomas

Thanks for the suggestions, Thomas.

I intend to save myself some work and swipe details from wherever I can find them. Dealing with a character who isn't consistently drawn or drawn in any detail is turning out to be a real nuisance. I would far rather a few good photos than trying to translate dozens of comic illustrations into something realistic and practical, but I think you have had to deal with the same problem with some of your costumes, too.

I am in the process of uploading the base scans from the Marvel comics onto the STT. I'll post the link to the index page for those once everything is on the server. The files are huge though since I used 1500dpi to scan them at.

Maia