• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

New costume-Reborn- request consideration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Everyone.

First of all, Im new on the forums here.

I'm not a member of the 501st yet, but im in the process of making my first costume.

I joined my local garrison's forums, and asking them this same question, they sent me here.

I want to join the 501st, but I can't afford trooper armor right now.

So i'm trying to get my Expanded Universe costume considered.

Some of you might Remember the Reborn Dark Jedi from Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast the video game for PC, and x box if i remember correctly.

Those who don't, or or not into gaming, or simply missed this one can wookiepedia or google images it for pics and info.

This was one of my favorite Dark Jedi characters.

I wanted this to be the costume for acceptance into the 501st

Even if thats not possible which i'm willing to accept

I would like it to be considered to be recognized here.

I don't know if this is a topic thats been disscussed before, but

im sorry if it has.

I just think its a highly recognizable character, since this was a very popular Star Wars Game.

I just wanted to know what others thought about this.

Welcome to the Flagship forums.

While you're surely welcome to discuss the Reborn costume here, and you can certainly make it just because you want to... I do not think that costume would be approved for 501st membership. Our guideline is that a new character must have reference from three different Lucasfilm sources, and as far as I know, the Reborn have only appeared in the game. That's one reference source... do you have any others? (Illustrations in books, action figures, and comics are the most common sources that we look for.) The Reborn are mentioned in Jedi vrs. Sith, but there is no picture in that book.

Pam :-)

OK this is the third tyme today, fifth tyme this week this has been brought up. That's not a problem, just to say the request is well documented. Wish I could respond sooner, but it doesn't always work that way.

Ideally, the interested costumer would present research to kick off a character request. But as this is one character I personally know and love, I keen to lend a hand;

That said, the Reborn have also appeared twice in Star Wars Miniatures;

Champions of the Force

377965b4f8acaa3e529ea58a2dc00c5b.image.176x176.jpg

Jedi Academy

intheworks_0605_4.jpg

And then in the up coming Threats of the Galaxy, roleplaying book from Wizards of the Coast

(Note; The balaclava, shoulder armour, and cape appears to be a blending of the costumes of the Reborn and the Sith Knights of KOTOR and should be considered non-canon. As such these elements are not to be part of a Reborn costume for 501st consideration.)

20080417_2_bg.jpg

And of course the the many flavas of the Jedi Knight Reborn;

RSC.jpg

Pam, we are good to consider this for 501st.

Done well, this costume could easily cost more than a Standard Stormtrooper costume, what with a custom lightsabre and the embroidery work required to match the tunic and pants. If the interested costumer were do the sewing, embroidery and machining their self, I think anyone could make a fine Reborn and save some money at the same tyme.

The key source for this character for the 501st shall be the first appearance, as seen in SW: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Those interested in costuming this character should acquire full renders of the character; front, back, and side. Also REQUIRED will be the skin maps. Close ups of the character's sabre, are a must, (it is a generic looking sabre, but still good to have reference for.) Please post these images, along with the proper names for the levels of Reborn. (The image above shows 5 Reborn types and a Shadowtrooper. I am not certain that the 5 shown are all LFL game variants or if they are fan made. That will also need to be verified---by the interested costumer.)

Be well,

Thomas

I cannot help myself. I checked my archives from 2002 and found these renders for the Reborn sabre;

reborn_big.png

reborn_render.jpg

It can really be a thing of beauty.

Guest Anonymous

This is good news!

Thank you Thomas for your dedication to the research, and for the time it took.

I did a lot myself, but did not know there were miniatures of the Reborn.

Also thank you Pam for welcoming me to the flagship forums, and your insight on the topic.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I first thought it would be a good idea.

I'm also going to obtain Trooper armor or another more recognizable costume , so that I can participate in different events and such.But I'm defiantly going to start on this one right away.Thanks again!

Guest Daritha

And of course the the many flavas of the Jedi Knight Reborn;

RSC.jpg

[...]

(The image above shows 5 Reborn types and a Shadowtrooper. I am not certain that the 5 shown are all LFL game variants or if they are fan made. That will also need to be verified---by the interested costumer.)

Although I'm not the interested costumer I'm very interested in "Jedi Knight" costumes. I love the whole JK series and my first (bad) try to costume was a Kyle Katarn.

Therefore, I can second that both orange-red, blue-red, orange, and armored Reborn (aka Shadowtrooper) are canon. I'm not sure about the blue and green one but I remember that the Reborns where very distinctive in colors. One hard fact - on the other hand - let me doubt that all these pictures are canonical. Every (sic!) Reborn wields a red-bladed lightsaber during the game!

The key source for this character for the 501st shall be the first appearance, as seen in SW: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

I hate it to correct you but the first canonical source for the Reborn is Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast. To be precise: Kyle faces the first Reborn during his mission in Cloud City in a duel very similar to those between Luke and Darth Vader in Episode V. This Reborn was a red-orange colored one (first row, middle picture).

They only appear during Outcast. The subsequent game, Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy (NOT Jedi Knight III!), shows minions called "New Reborn". They recruited themselves from the original ones but they all wear different clothes.