• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

DZ-6489's Heavy Training Gear Build

Guest DZ-6489

Guest DZ-6489

I've been working on my heavy training gear on and off for a while now, but with CV fast approaching I decided to put more of an effort into finishing it.

Back Computer- I made this completely out of scrap sintra, sheet styrene, and clear acrylic sheet. The red screens are clear acrylic which has been painted using a masking technique. They will be illuminated by a few red LED's which are driven by a bunch of small flameless candles. The flameless candles give the screen a great short circuited look. Still have a lot of sanding/detail work to do.

back_plate.jpg

Hand Guards- made from scrap sintra. The left will have an illuminated screen like the back computer.

handplates.jpg

Arm Buckles- I ordered these from someone on Ebay. Around $30 shipped. They took almost a month the get to me from Argentina. Not 100% accurate, but they'll do.

buckles.jpg

Arm Piece- Made from two 3" PVC couplings from Lowe's ($1.67 each, didn't end up needing the 3rd)

couplings.jpg

I put the coupling's on my lathe and cut them to the dimensions I needed. The buckles are attached with screws in the bottom. Just have to prime, paint, and rub and buff it.

arm.jpg

More to come soon...

Guest Anonymous

*staring speechless* :shock:

I must congratulate you for the work that you're doing, it is really a good improvement (you outrank me :cry: ) but at the same time you give me ideas to work with :) ...maybe we can discuss the techniques used to paint the acrylic and other things as well...

I will keep sanding my backpack to improve it (this pics pumped me up to do my work faster)...hope to see more pics soon...

Guest DZ-6489
*staring speechless* :shock:

I must congratulate you for the work that you're doing, it is really a good improvement (you outrank me :cry: ) but at the same time you give me ideas to work with :) ...maybe we can discuss the techniques used to paint the acrylic and other things as well...

I will keep sanding my backpack to improve it (this pics pumped me up to do my work faster)...hope to see more pics soon...

Thanks a lot!!! Im glad I was able to give you some Ideas to help improve your costume. Anytime you need help with your techniques just let me know.

Guest DZ-6489

Here is the arm armor. It was finished with silver rub and buff. I still have to do the final elemental weathering when the rest of the costume is complete.

armfinished2.jpg

Guest DZ-6489

Completed backpack, just have to add the leather straps that hold it on.

backcomplete.jpg

backcomplete2.jpg

you can check out the video of the flickering display here:

Guest Daritha

Looks great! I'm sure your Star will coming nice together, judging from your training gear. 8)

Too bad all the hair must go for this costume. You look, judging from your Han Solo, good with hair. ^^

Will you reuse some parts of the training gear for this costume or making everything (sic!) new?

Guest DZ-6489

some more completed parts of the costume.

The cowl: Made from soft sheet foam and material

Picture_025-450x600.jpg

Leg warmers

Picture_022-600x450.jpg

Arm warmers

Picture_021-600x450.jpg

Gloves: Haven't added the finger tips yet

Picture_020-600x450.jpg

Good morning,

Too often beautiful work goes uncommented on. It moves us, we smile at the touch, and silently move on. Perhaps we are simply too stunned to speak.

Gorgeous work, thoughtfully crafted.

Be well,

Thomas